E46 Fanatics Forum banner

"Comfort Blinker" feature in e46 ?

33K views 53 replies 28 participants last post by  Nickvjr 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Do I understand correctly that it's basically an automatic blinker kill switch? Turn the blinker on, it works for 2-3 seconds and then automatically turns off?

If so, I've never heard of anything like that on an E46, but we already have a slightly different alternative. Instead of turning the blinker on, gently press the stalk down, the blinker will turn on and when you let go of the stalk, it'll turn off.

#5 ·
Another way in which the driver is becoming more out of touch with the driving experience.

The blinker should remain on for at least a few seconds before any lane change or turn is made, and during the duration of the transition until it's completed. That said, there's no way even 5 blinks would probably suffice. It frightens me that car manufacturers are now basically preaching poor driving habits in a world (or at least country) where I thought we had already hit rock bottom.

#15 ·
This thread is over 4 years old....anyway bmwmen, if you're looking for the one-touch triple blink feature all you need is an LCM module with s/w version 4.0 or 4.5. Then you can use PA Soft to recode the LCM module with your vehicle's VIN and change the mileage to 0000 so the LCM get's the mileage from your vehicle. Once you have this you won't have to worry about the dreaded tamper dot. Then you can use NCSExpert to code in the one touch triple blink to your new LCM module. That's it.

#17 · (Edited)
It's a pitty i just retrofitted auto head-light feature not so long ago and replaced LCM for that with a second-hand one. This one however has SW 3.01 on it. Do you know if it is possible to upgrade the software on the LCM maybe?
I'm looking at doing this sometime this year for my ZHP, probably during the summer. If you wouldn't mind sharing how you did this retrofit I would appreciate it! :thumbsup:

#22 ·
you can't just update the s/w in your current LSZ. You have to purchase a new LSZ with either s/w 4.0 or 4.5. Either by finding one on eBay or going to the dealer for one. eBay being the cheaper alternative. That's what I did. Then all you have to do is code your LSZ to your car and use NCSExpert to activate the triple blink.

#23 · (Edited)
So now this makes me very very curious...does the actual 4.0 or 4.5 LCM software file exist somewhere? If so, I would love to join someone in trying to figure it out. Finding the actual chip in which the software is stored on and determining if it's rewriteable could prove to be extremely useful. It has to be flashed at the factory somehow. If we can figure out the chip and the actual pins that are associated with that flash, we could figure out how to tap into it and force the flash.

Heck, someone could make quite the business doing it :) $50 per flash? I'd do it. In fact, I know of some people who would be very interested in this project. I'll talk to them.

#24 · (Edited)
The processor on the LSZ (motorla/freescale MC9S12D256) has something like 2mbit built in flash memory. The EEPROM that PASoft dumps seems to just be a small section (kind of like dumping the data section of a DME). I have not come across anything that can write to the outside area, but the processor itself is programmable. According to the datasheet the writes can be disabled, but it didn't seem like it'd be too difficult to reenable.

I do believe that with the right tools, we should be able to update the software. The CI32-CI37 LSZss all seem to use identical microncontrollers. Some power circuitry seems to vary ever so slightly, but I don't think it'd inhibit functionality.

#26 · (Edited)
I came across your post in that thread documenting all of that. Very excellent information.

My friend and I are currently using it to see if we can come up with a solution to write to the flash memory :) We've got all the tools, just gotta figure it out. Everything is hackable! May need a chip burner initially, but we're trying to determine a way to do it without. Can you PM me the data sheet on the microprocessors?

#27 ·
I always used to use the, "3 blink and here I come" method of lane changes. I was stopped and chewed out by a State Trooper (no ticket) for doing just that. His words were, "This is not California, and we don't do lane changes like that". This was on a fairly empty stretch of Interstate, and I was well past the vehicle that I had overtaken. No reason for being stopped other than that. If you try it, be prepared to speak to the cop.

#28 ·
The company car I have (2012 Ford Fiesta) has the 3-times blink feature, if someone can call it a feature anyway. 3 times blink to show the other drivers that you are about to change lanes for example, is not simply not adequate. Everytime I tried it, I find myself trying to "abide" to the 3-times-blink by switching lanes faster obviously becoming less careful.

#29 ·
The company car I have (2012 Ford Fiesta) has the 3-times blink feature, if someone can call it a feature anyway. 3 times blink to show the other drivers that you are about to change lanes for example, is not simply not adequate. Everytime I tried it, I find myself trying to "abide" to the 3-times-blink by switching lanes faster obviously becoming less careful.
Maybe if zell figures this out he could also determine a way to change the number of blinks. :dunno:

#31 · (Edited)
Actually I think it'd be pretty trivial to make it blink 4 or 5 times with NCS Dummy's ability to modify the daten files. I never tried since I found 3 to be adequate.

Looks like it may support a maximum of 7

Code:
CYCL_TI_BLK                 00000501 (01)                                         07                                                    ONE-TOUCH TURN SIGNAL FUNCTION                                                                   
    einmal                      00                                                    00                                                    once                                                                                         E46
    dreimal                     03                                                    03                                                    triple

#32 · (Edited)
It really would be VERY easy, if this guy (Lucas) still made these things: http://www.jalt.de/?q=komfortblinker
It was very cheap, much cheaper than used LCM, at around $40 I think, and it was small enough, fully customizable, and it needed, I think, splicing a wire (or maybe two) going into LCM. When this thread came up again, I contacted the guy, and a few minutes ago I got a response from him that he doesnt produce modules at the moment :( but might start a new batch in a few months time. :(

#35 ·
As I recall, in NJ it is the law to signal before changing lanes and a few seconds after the lane change is effected. 3 blinks only makes you an accident waiting to happen...I'm sorry.

Also, my first reaction to this from the OP (years ago) was that you don't want to go messing around with our electronics too much.

Finally, since I like Charlie (cak), I have to reiterate...every which way I look at it...it's not a good idea. Also, btw, if you signal long before a lane change and long after it too...the troopers will think you're an old, careful driver, even when you're speeding! It creates an illusion of carefulness. :shhhh:

Terra, I trust, but I trust a good old 'on/off' turn signal better.

All of you in this thread now...perform the standard cleansing ritual for even thinking such things and read Bentley 120/13-16 four times.

#39 · (Edited)
I dunno. Virtually every new car has a 3-blink feature -- you'd think at least one of them would have had a longer period if there's no use for 3-blinks.

That said, even if configured to blink 3x, there's nothing preventing you from holding it in just as you did before. It'll continue to blink 4,5,6,etc... times until you let go. Or sometimes what I do is just tap it again after the 3 blinks for a total of 6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.