E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Front brake question

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  boostedisbetter 
#1 ·
Replaced my front pads and rotors today...now I notice when I hit the pedal I hear what sounds like a relay clicking around the left front wheel...you have to be listening for it to hear it...any idea what this could be?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

#6 ·
Those clips can get loose. You can bend them a little tighter.

Also, it seems often the dust shield gets pulled in or pushed out when putting on the wheel. You might just have to push it back out evenly all around.

Did you clean up the caliper well? Guidepins cleaned, maybe greased (with brake grease and yes, it is technically against the TIS).

The clip going into the piston also sometimes gets loose...or isn't tight enough to begin with. What brand pads did you use? Something other than BMW?

#8 · (Edited)
Yep. Cleaned the calipers w brake cleaner...new pins and grease...wagner pads ...ill try bending the clips back around some...cone to think of it it seems like that side went on easier than it should have. I have a little spongy pedal now but Im thinking I need to just bless the system...no big deal to do just obnoxious without a lift

Also...I went to a quiet place tonight to listen a little better. I noticed it only makes this click when I let off the pedal...fwiw...I did notice that the inside pad that clips in the caliper fit a little more loose than I felt it should...I bent the tabs just a little and it went in...but didn't securely lock in...I just assumed it would wear into it's place...

With the car running when I press the pedal it gets to a stopping point then seems to keep going down very slowly...and I keep getting the click everytime I let off the pedal.

With the car OFF I can press the pedal and it gets tight and wont go any further like it does while running...but the clicking is NOT present in this scenario...

Something simple?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

#9 ·
So for the 10,000th time, I'll recommend a hose, an ear, and another person stepping on the brake while you listen with the hose to see if you can isolate the sound. Should make it easier on you. If the clicking is happening when you're not moving, then forget the dust shield.

You've got something else going on, and it might just be the bleeding. Did you grease the caliper where the pad slides on it...something there could be hanging up?

Anyway, bleed and listen with a hose...I bet you can get right to the sound.

#11 ·
Right, so start the car and have someone use the brakes while you listen with the hose. When you get to the clicking part, you'll know, even with the engine running. Just make sure she doesn't drive over you!

You could drive it over a curb so you could get underneath easier and listen to the backside of the brakes.

Anyway, good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.