E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Am I crazy to consider going from an e90 to an e46 (non M)?

10K views 51 replies 23 participants last post by  TechieTechie 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi! So as you can tell, I'm brand new here. I've been an e90poster for a couple years now, but before I got my e90, I was a hardcore lurker on this site. The e46 was the BMW I always planned to be my first, but I somehow ended up finding a 2007 328xi e90 instead.

First of all, let me say that I'm not unhappy with my current car at all. In fact, I actually love the thing. Of course there are always mods or improvements I would like to make, however overall, I've been very impressed with my 3er. That being said, in the next several months, I'm going to be making a move from my current cubicle-imprisonment to self employment, and dropping the car payment would help substantially. I know there are many cheap reliable cars that I could move to, however I'm pretty sold on BMWs, and really can't imagine not owning one. So, I'm considering buying an e46. Plus, I've loved the way e46es look since driving my buddy's e46 m3. My thinking is I could sell my car and get the loan paid off plus some extra to put toward an e46 (thinking around $7k-$9k). I'm not opposed to basic DIY and am pretty good at following directions, but I'm no professional mechanic, and am opposed to being stranded on the side of the road.

After spending some time on here, I can't tell if the e46's common issues are just very well documented (a plus in my book), and if the e90s are just now coming of the age where they start having their own problems to be discovered, or if the e46s just have a lot of problems. I guess my question is this: my main objective is to get rid of my current $350 car payment while I build my business, and have a reliable daily driver that will last me for the next few years, until I can ultimately get into a newer car.

So, what's your honest opinion? Am I better off just keeping the e90 xdrive and sucking up the payments (and consequently the cubicle job that I hate for a while longer)? Should I just buy a Honda and shut up? or could I get away with a nice e46 for the next few years? Do you think repairs and maintenance on an e46 with 100k+ miles would just completely negate the savings of no car payment, and I'll die poor and alone in the gutter somewhere?

thanks for your advice, and reading all this. Sorry for the long post.

Here's the current ride:

See less See more
#2 ·
$7-9k will get you a nice e46 (I paid $6,500 for mine) and a single month's car payment will pay for all the parts to overhaul the cooling system (approx $350) and it's a very diy friendly job. I say go e46 and don't look back. :)

#4 ·
E46s are cheap now because not only they are aging, but because their maintenance is costly. However, it sure as **** best looking and handling car I know of for road cars. I would take e46 over e90s unless its 1M, M3, M5 or M6. I would have to think about 135i and 335i long and hard.

Anyways, e46 parts and documents are everywhere. However, if you are stuck with a malfunction or get in to a small crash, expect spending a lot of money at the dealer, or getting total loss claim from insurance company.

PS. Rear subframe cracks, thats all I gotta say, everything else can be fixed aside that and frame damage.

#8 ·
I bought my ZHP in December for $10k. I am a BMW mechanic on the side and had been maintaining it for three years prior to buying it. Even though I put all new brakes, cooling system, VANOS, and OFHG on it before buying it I still have spent $1770 on it in 7 months. That means I have been spending $250 a month just on maintenance items and I do ALL MY OWN WORK! And I still have another $1500 or so to go (clutch, motor mounts, control arms, DISA, 02 sensors, the list continues) before it will be "good" for a while.

My point, a used E46 is expensive to PROPERLY maintain. Sure, you can let stuff go, but then the ride quality and reliability suck. Just make sure you get a GOOD used one.

#15 ·
I put all new brakes, cooling system, VANOS, and OFHG on it before buying it I still have spent $1770 on it in 7 months. That means I have been spending $250 a month just on maintenance items and I do ALL MY OWN WORK!
Sure $250 over 7 months, but are you going to be touching those items again anytime soon? My ZHP cost me a decent amount in maintenance up front (rotors/pads, cooling system, belts, pulleys, vanos, vcg, etc etc.) but only because I was proactive with the maintenance as were you. However this doesn't mean the car will cost us $250/month for the life of the car.

#9 ·
Are you still under warranty? If so, for how much longer? Depending on that, you might want to keep the car just for the warranty and peace of mind.
The e46 can break down and have serious issues. That's why it's very important to pay for a good car. Make sure you get records. That's so important and will save you big time.
Understand what goes wrong in the e46 and be preventative about it: ofhg, vcg, fuel filter, fuel pump, sub frame, cooling system, worn pulleys.
Understand the things that can actually leave you stranded and replace them before they break (as necessary) and all other things be ready to replace when they break.
To keep these cars reliable its all about being ahead of the problems. Be ready to spend a weekend doing the cooling system. Be ready to rip out your back seat and slap your fuel pump to avoid a tow when it quits on you.
Basically, these cars need more love and attention than your current car to keep them reliable. However if you're prepared to make that commitment and take care of the car as it needs to be taken care of, it will serve you reliably and happily for however long you decide to love it.
Hope this helps

#16 ·
OP buying another car is also a chore and a hassle. I think you should "suffer" through you current BMW. The e46 is an older car so there are more parts that need replacing it is not different than any other car. The e46 however is vet easy to work on and the engineers had mechanics in mind as the placement of everything makes sense! I watched a Audi timing belt replacement and omg it looked awful. Like a seven hour job. Check out vw, Audi, and Volvo repairs...they suck and the engine compartment is impossible to work on. Just stick with what you have stop trying to complicate your life.

#22 ·
Yeah I know what you're saying about it being a hassle to sell, and all. But it's not that I'm suffering with my e90, it would be a move to an e46 to eliminate a car payment. And to let me concentrate my funds elsewhere for a while. Although I guess it's sounding like I wouldn't actually be able to concentrate my funds elsewhere, if I'm always working on my car.

And I absolutely agree with you about the VW/Audi maintenance. Wacky engineering in parts, and I've seen Audis have significant electrical problems. No thanks!

#20 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I've got a similar thread going on on e90post, and a lot of former e46 guys have good stuff to say about them. That being said, it's always easier to look back and think how much you loved a car, when you're in something new. Ask me now how much i loved my 1990 Toyota Celica haha! But it seems the e46s are viewed as reliable cars by past and (many) current owners.

To answer someone's question, I am not under warranty anymore. I did pick the car apart for defects before it expired though, as I was planning on keeping my car for a very long time, up until about two days ago. I had a DSC module, transfer case servo, sunroof cassette, lifters (due to ticking) all replaced under warranty. This would make the car appear to be problematic, however I think most of these issues being caught early would help keep larger issues from popping up later (and when I would have to pay for them). One other thing is I'm growing weary of the x-drive. I just don't feel like my car drives the way it should. Plus I have one cupped tire due to an alignment issue (fixed now) and I'm faced with replacing all four tires so as not to upset the transfer case. I bought it because we had a couple big snows in KC a while back, and I'm not allowed to call-in to my cubicle sales job (again, quitting ASAP!) but it didn't snow at all last year. So I'm thinking of switching to RWD and getting a good set of snow tires. That combined with making my own schedule should suffice, I think.

So, either way I'm going to be DIYing maintenance on a bimmer, so that's not the main concern. Some of the stories of being stranded are what make me nervous. Though it's obviously a slight concern with my current car, as well. I do have a coworker who drove his 325ci while overheating, and had to get a new engine. He's had nothing but problems, but also did no preventative maintenance. and he opened the radiator cap while it was hot and burned his face. So that's the extent of his car knowledge. Worst case scenario, I guess I've got free roadside assistance.

At least e46s still have spare tires!

I'm going to keep my eyes open for the right one, I think. Thanks again, keep your feedback coming!

#21 ·
BMWs overheat very quickly when cooling system fails. Thats why its one of the priorities to maintain the cooling system. As far as being stranded, no more than being stranded with any other car. Thats what AAA is for anyways. The ride is worth all the DIYs though. These cars are not like Honda, you maintain they will not fail you and will be reliable as heck, you dont maintain it and it will throw code after code, when you fix one issue that one would have already started another one, etc.

#27 ·
I would say if cost is your worry then how much longer will you be paying 350 a month and is it still under warranty?

350 X 12 = 4200 a year and if you are no longer under warranty then $$$$ for maintenance and repairs which will be at least as costly as the e46. If the car is almost paid off then i would stick with the e90.

The e46 will be costly at first but most parts you replace wont need attention for years and thousands of miles, maintenance can be done cheaply and easily. Depending on your state you may have to factor in sales tax and registration. Insurance should be cheaper.

#29 ·
Having several E90s in the family (and having considered buying one) I can say honestly that the E46 is a generation with more integrity than the E90.

I'd get a mint ZHP or other low mileage 330- don't settle for a smaller motor- and never look back. These cars will take care of you if you take care of them.

Don't go back to the E36, if you aren't a DIY person the E36 interior issues and the like will get to you.

#32 ·
It seems like you have your mind made up and you're looking for a justification for it. Or...maybe i'm reading into it too far.

Your average $7-9K E46 330 (what you will need to buy to be happy) will be 100K-130K miles, and worst case scenario, you have to plan on it needing the following to bring it up to speed and be something you can trust almost completely:
-Cooling system - $400
-Intake hoses, VCG, OFHG, and other things that will cause annoyances - $100
-Shocks - $500
-Front control arms and bushings - $500
-Fuel pump - $150
-DISA - $200
-Belts and pulleys - $100
-Fluids - $150
-Clutch&Flywheel - $800

TOTAL = $2900

That's not including consumables like brakes and tires if the car needs them. But figure on that being a worst case for money expenditure. If you want to keep the car for a while and be able to trust it...just bang most of that out in the first few months of having it (obviously not the clutch, or anything you know has been done). If you're only planning on having it for 2 years or less, I wouldn't bother with some of that stuff. It all depends.

But that's about it. I went through this with my E36. I spent like $3K in preventative maintenance on the car in the first year and a half I owned it. I haven't done much if any maintenance since then (2008 or so), outside of fluid changes, spark plugs, and that sort of thing. The car is dead nuts reliable. But it wouldn't be if I waited for stuff to break. I'm going through that process with my E46 right now.

You won't be saving much money if you own the car in the short term. But I hope that helps put a worst case into prospective for you.

#37 ·
-Cooling system - $400
-Intake hoses, VCG, OFHG, and other things that will cause annoyances - $100
-Shocks - $500
-Front control arms and bushings - $500
-Fuel pump - $150
-DISA - $200
-Belts and pulleys - $100
-Fluids - $150
-Clutch&Flywheel - $800

TOTAL = $2900
Why are you assuming that he'd be buying a car that is beat to ****? What is with this assumption that this forum is the only place where people maintain BMWs and any BMW you buy has never been to a mechanic. Everyone I know who purchased an E46 already had almost all that stuff replaced by the previous owner. A car with worn out control arms and bushing won't even pass inspection for him to purchase it, so its unlikely that he'll need to replace them at purchase. Clutch and flywheel?

#34 ·
Thank you. I think I have my mind made up that I'll see if anything good pops up, as well as what I can get for my car private party. Took it to carmax today just to see what they'd give me....they offered $14.5k?! No way would I take that, though i wasn't surprised by the lowball offer. pretty much an "average" condition wholesale quote, minus a grand or so. My car was dirty but has no damage other than two small door dings. I think the 4 e90s (two of which silver) on their lot already might have contributed to the offer. I would expect at least $17k-$18k before I considered selling it.

It seems that beyond maintenance, the e46 would be a great car to own. But I'm not going to rush in and just buy whatever. If the right one comes along, I think it could be a good change and a smart move. I do think they are gorgeous and will keep their timeless look until they become even more highly desirable. Much like the e30 is experiencing right now. Plus, I like the idea of driving something more "raw" and engaging.

When took the e90 out today, I did feel a little guilty for all this talk of getting rid of her. She is a good car.

#36 ·
+1

If OP doesn't have the proper income to comfortably own a luxury car, then just buy a cheaper more reliable eco-box until the time is right.
No need to show off a false "status" that you might not have. Rich people with million dollars of assets can be seen as driving regular Ford and Toyota sedans.

Stop thinking that what you drive actually matters to anyone else.

#42 ·
The way this forum portrays these cars, its as if they're ticking time bombs. You obviously wouldn't buy a car with blown shocks, worn-out clutch or worn-out bushings, so listing all those items to replace is silly. I mean you'd be buying a used car, so obviously these may be issues, but a lot of it is subjective. Sure, you could start replacing un-worn out bushings to improve road feel, but it has nothing to do with the reliability of the vehicle.

#45 ·
All E46 have spare tires except for the ///M BAM. Yes, you should take your time to find an excellent example. Hopefully one that already has it's rear subframe reinforced :) There are great examples out there. I'm sure you will find yours :thumbsup: Good luck :)

#48 ·
These cars are getting older... its just a fact that we're all dealing with at once. The E90's are a max of like 5 years old, so I could totally see them starting to have more and more age related issues, on top of millage issues.

If you sold your 328xi and bought a E46 you would have to understand that there may be a fair number of things that have to be done to make it as reliable as a new car. You would HAVE to put a few grand aside for maintenance. I don't think people get "stranded" without a car unless the cooling system is allowed to decay, or something strange like a clutch or a transmission goes out (doesn't happen often). What I'm trying to say is that you don't have to replace every moving and non-moving part part to have a reliable car, just pay attention. A little oil consumption and a slightly rough idle are issues that you can deal with later. ;)

FYI, I owned a 70k mile 2004 330Ci for nearly 3 years and it never, ever left me stranded or didn't start EXCEPT for when I started messing with things. :rofl: (OK, the 7 year old battery had to be replaced... and that was slightly inconvenient)

#52 · (Edited)
Bam...

I agree with the general consensus. Find a well sorted out car with lots of records and an anal owner....and don't be afraid to go across the country to find the right one (autotempest is great in this regard). Be persistent on making sure the wear and tear items are already done...cars, just like humans, go thru midlife crises between 70k-150k miles...ya want to make sure you find one that been to the right 'surgeon'. Might cost a bit more up front, but there will be fewer surprises. And it might take you 3-6 months...depends on how picky you are for the details (sport package, colors, etc).

Coming from the non-BMW world (Acura, VW, Subie) I think there are fewer dealbreakers (blown headgaskets, electrical nightmares, etc.)..but not putting off maintenance is key. I don't think the cars are ticking timebombs...remember folks who frequent forums are usually those who are passionate about their cars....I think you'll read more preventative maintenance kinda stuff here than you might on other car forums. Directionally the instance on maintenance is the correct things to do...but maybe not necessary RIGHT NOW, if you get my drift. But don't put it off entirely, cause you might pay for it big time (blown hg, rear subframe). BMW's are fun to drive for a reason..but those tight tolerances can be bad, as well as good. :)

A local, trustworthy indie (and friends who are wrenchers) are essential to lower cost of ownership these puppies. If you haven't already, join your local BMWCCA chapter, you'll meet locals there who can help you (also, bimmerforums has a pretty strong regional section).

Finally, I would suggest getting a 330. I passed on a 3.0 in my z4, (2.5 instead) and I miss the extra 'kick'. However, given you are trying stretch the almighty dollar, I would not advocate getting a ZHP. They command a significant price premium ($1-$5k) for relatively little return on the engine investment....plus they are more likely to be beat upon than a regular 330.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.