E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Thoughts? BBK (:

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  2000_328CI 
#1 · (Edited)
hello fellow fanatics,
Just had my car in to get a new ignition coil and gasket valve covers, but my buddy at the dealership said that I'm going to need brakes soon. (no-more than 3k left on the current ones which are OEM)

Been doing some research on BBK, but haven't found one I like yet or that will be a complete setup (Front and Rears)
Can someone point me in the right direction...and Yellow calipers would be a plus!

Thanks in Advance for the help fellas!
:thumbsup:

#2 · (Edited)
so why do you need this? just to look secksee? cuz it's going to be expensive and kind of pointless --- bbk (besides bling) is about cooling faster... and possibly intimidation.

that being said, I have converted my front to a stoptech set up for ease of changing pads for track use. and looking baller and richer than i should be.

I think ECS has the 1 series retrofit and they are kinda gold-ish.

#3 ·
so why do you need this? just to look secksee? cuz it's going to be expensive and kind of pointless --- bbk (besides bling) is about cooling faster... and possibly intimidation.

that being said, I have converted my front to a stoptech set up for ease of changing pads for track use. and looking baller and richer than i should be.

I think ECS has the 1 series retrofit and they are kinda gold-ish.
with new brakes from the Dealership plus labor, I could do it cheaper by buying bbk and installing my self. That being said, I would like all 4 to match, so yes, you could say its to be sexy, or not, but I personally like symmetry when it comes to modding my cars. Main reason though is because the roads i drive on, people can't drive for sh1t and like to break for no apparent reasons! So I would like to have a little quicker stopping power and can do so with bbk.

...and already researched the ECS setup. Yes, they are gold-ish, BUT they can only be applied to the front. According to my tech-buddy at the dealership, I'm going to need the rear brakes replaced, but might as well do them all.

#5 ·
One matching 4 wheel BBKs are from Brembo and UUC.

I have the Stoptechs but you have to pretty much permanently lose your ebrake. You have to cut off a metal tab that the ebrake adjuster pushes against to engage the brake pads.

IMO, the UUC/wilwoods are garbage. Ugly and not really much of an upgrade. The Stoptechs are not THAT much more.

#6 · (Edited)
Hmm, you could install OE parts yourself for a fraction of the cost of the dealer doing it (order parts from getbmwparts, ebmwparts, etc) and way cheaper than the cost of a BBK.

As far as stopping power, the 330 has great stock brakes and you're not likely to shorten stopping distances with a BBK. What you gain with a BBK is fade resistance - the ability to retain those short stopping distances on a track where you're frequently and repeatedly braking hard. You're not likely to experience brake fade on the street and if you do then you should really take your activities to the track. If you're interested in shorter braking distance, you might be better off to consider a tire upgrade.

All that said, if you want a BBK, I'd look into these from Performance Friction. The rear kit even allows you to retain the e-brake (so they told me). I haven't felt the need for a BBK yet but if I did, I think I'd go this route.

#7 · (Edited)
Get the 6 piston kit from ECS tuning. Then seek a used rear elsewhere.
Prolly the cheapest way you'll get all 4 unless u find a kit on here.
I have a 4 wheel 6/4 piston rotora 14" kit sitting at home waiting to be put on, but I got lucky and scored it cheap when my buddy took it of his E36

#17 ·
Thank you sir! Love your setup up and looks great! :thumbsup:
...and these are pretty affordable? Have an estimate?

OP, I'm still trying to figure this out, IS THIS FOR SHOW OR GO ?

If it's for show do whatever you want, spend your money.

If this is for go, this is how I did it. I stayed with stock 330 brakes but upgraded these parts: 1) I went with Performance Friction "Z" Rated pads, these are better than stock in terms of stopping power, but don't require a warm up (heat) like a race pad. 2) Brake duct backing plates with 3" flexible cooling hose, this adds virtually no weight but provides tremendous cooling. 3) ATE Super Blue brake fluid.

I can tell you this combo works GREAT & is very affordable. Paint them any color you want.

Good luck.
Now that I'm learning more about brakes from the help of this forum, I guess they're more for show. But I would like upgraded street performance since people can't drive in my city and I have to slam on my brakes pretty much every day. I really dont know what people are thinking when they drive anymore! :hmm: :eek:

#16 ·
OP, I'm still trying to figure this out, IS THIS FOR SHOW OR GO ?

If it's for show do whatever you want, spend your money.

If this is for go, this is how I did it. I stayed with stock 330 brakes but upgraded these parts: 1) I went with Performance Friction "Z" Rated pads, these are better than stock in terms of stopping power, but don't require a warm up (heat) like a race pad. 2) Brake duct backing plates with 3" flexible cooling hose, this adds virtually no weight but provides tremendous cooling. 3) ATE Super Blue brake fluid.

I can tell you this combo works GREAT & is very affordable. Paint them any color you want.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.