E46 Fanatics Forum banner

bald tires wearing out brake pads?

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  stapler12345 
#1 ·
I got my brake pad/sensor warning light come on for the 3rd time in under a year, and I suspect that my worn out front tires are causing me to brake harder than normal just so I can stop normally. does anyone know if worn tires play a role in the life of your brake pads?

#2 · (Edited)
If you're braking harder than normal then yes, your brake pads will take more abuse. You also should know that having larger diameter rims without taking into account an upgraded brake system means you'll be putting more strain on your stock brakes. Why? Plus-sizing also means you're creating more rolling mass that you inevitably have to slow down. This can cause your brakes to wear much faster.

It's easy to check if your pads are really bad or if it's a faulty sensor. If you're lazy you can check just your outer pads, but if you want the whole picture, take off each wheel and check both the inner and outer pads for wear

Lastly, having bald tires is inexcusable man. Tires with adequate tread are just as important as having a properly maintained brake system. There's competitively priced tires for practically every size. Drive safe!

#4 ·
BoostedBoogie said:
...I suspect that my worn out front tires are causing me to brake harder than normal just so I can stop normally. does anyone know if worn tires play a role in the life of your brake pads?
I don't think this makes sense. If your tires are worn out, then you have less grip available to brake. That would imply that you could only use, for example, 70% of your available braking power before you got into the ABS. At that point, you wouldn't be able to brake harder than normal to stop any faster.

#8 ·
it's a steptronic car. just got the brakes serviced today and they replaced both front pads.

apparently they will either check front or rear rotors, front or rear pads, and replace only what needs replacing on both sides IE front L/R pads or rear L/R rotors.

#9 ·
Quick question related to this.... was getting an inspection on my car and the mechanic tells me that my front brake pads and front rotors are worn....

Now I thought that I would get the warning light come on the dash if this was the case, but it hasnt? How does the warning system work?

#10 ·
777 said:
Quick question related to this.... was getting an inspection on my car and the mechanic tells me that my front brake pads and front rotors are worn....

Now I thought that I would get the warning light come on the dash if this was the case, but it hasnt? How does the warning system work?
Warning light is for pad thickness, not rotor thickness.

#12 ·
777 said:

The indicator is for when the pads are really thin. I'm not surprised that someone told you that they are worn before the light came on.

#14 ·
I just did my pads and my brake light sensor wont go off, do i have to buy a new one?

#18 ·
777 said:

yea i just redid all the rotors, brake pads and shims. cost me 800 something dollars. you probably have the same miles as my 325i. in the mid 50's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.