E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
New members check-in, introduce yourselves, and post a picture of your BMW here!

Old 02-11-2017, 06:40 AM   #21
JTripper

My Ride: 3dirtyci
Ohhh damn, anytime you get a second hand vehicle there are a few things that should be done over within the first couple of days, dont let 2 weeks pass. Oil flush n change, fuel filter, plugs swapped and brakes checked/replaced, coolant system jcheck, battery check at minimum. How many of these things have you done so far?

Plugs get ngk iridium, oil/additive i use liqui moly primarily or castrol when times are hard. I have seafoamed my car several times since i had it, bout twice a year. Put 1/3 in the tank (7/8oz), 1/3 in the crank (before change, dont drive on it let it idle for 5-15mins), the other 1/3 goes through the brake booster vacuum line. Id stay away from doing that one, you sound a lill new to this.... the brake booster vacuum method can hydrolock your engine, if you do not incorrectly.

Wisdom: Don't rely on the hope that others have taken as much care and diligence as you might. Ppl are facking lazy n dumb with these cars especially as time goes by.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

@BMWorNADA
BMWCCA
///MPIREBOYZ#239
1st Gen. AC Schnitzer Strut Bar, M3 Face, Gunmetal VMR V710FF 18x8.5/9.5 , AEM Logger & longtube CAI, H&R Sport Cup Springs and Front Struts, Koni Rears, Reinforced Towers, Int. Trim Wrapped, Custom FX-R Retrofit , 3k Fogs, Frosted WeissLichts, 8 Track Player with Dolby.
JTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #22
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
Go to dealer, ask for multipoint inspection! Get most of ur answers there. Also tune up/sparks/oil/basics! Do it
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:28 AM   #23
rth121

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTripper View Post
Ohhh damn, anytime you get a second hand vehicle there are a few things that should be done over within the first couple of days, dont let 2 weeks pass. Oil flush n change, fuel filter, plugs swapped and brakes checked/replaced, coolant system jcheck, battery check at minimum. How many of these things have you done so far?

Plugs get ngk iridium, oil/additive i use liqui moly primarily or castrol when times are hard. I have seafoamed my car several times since i had it, bout twice a year. Put 1/3 in the tank (7/8oz), 1/3 in the crank (before change, dont drive on it let it idle for 5-15mins), the other 1/3 goes through the brake booster vacuum line. Id stay away from doing that one, you sound a lill new to this.... the brake booster vacuum method can hydrolock your engine, if you do not incorrectly.

Wisdom: Don't rely on the hope that others have taken as much care and diligence as you might. Ppl are facking lazy n dumb with these cars especially as time goes by.

Unfortunately, I haven't done anything to the car yet, as I am still ordering the filters (oil and transmission) and spark plugs and just trying to drive the car and feel what might need to be changed.

Coolant, I would think it should be fine based on the September 2016 maintenance service record where they had replace the thermostat, valve fuel tank(?), upper hose, and some BMW antifreeze.

Brakes, I think it's fine for now, though the rear ones might need to be replaced soon.

Fuel filter, I might have to look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Go to dealer, ask for multipoint inspection! Get most of ur answers there. Also tune up/sparks/oil/basics! Do it
I might go to the dealer soon for the airbag recall and see if I can get a multipoint inspection. The basics, I do plan on doing, just ordering and waiting for parts to come in at the moment.

Last edited by rth121; 02-12-2017 at 02:29 AM.
rth121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #24
rth121

Well.. service engine soon light came on today in the morning when I was about to leave the house. Went inside the house and grabbed the OBD wifi reader and shut down and turn ignition on to pull the fault code... P1345 came up as a pending fault code. Looked it up and seems to be misfire cylinder 2?

But after restarting the engine, the light turned off, though I know the code is still stored on the computer since I didn't erase it.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #25
delgadilloalex

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rth121 View Post
Well.. service engine soon light came on today in the morning when I was about to leave the house. Went inside the house and grabbed the OBD wifi reader and shut down and turn ignition on to pull the fault code... P1345 came up as a pending fault code. Looked it up and seems to be misfire cylinder 2?

But after restarting the engine, the light turned off, though I know the code is still stored on the computer since I didn't erase it.
Might me VCG, easy job. I cured mine with replacement.

Sent from my SM-N900T using E46Fanatics mobile app
delgadilloalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #26
rth121

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadilloalex View Post
Might me VCG, easy job. I cured mine with replacement.

Valve Cover Gasket? Will look into it after changing spark plugs and oil in a few days, since I'm just waiting for the parts to come in at the moment.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:22 AM   #27
rth121

I was wondering... if I should change the ATF fluid or not + filter (though I already ordered the filter...), as I'm not sure if the previous owner(s) ever changed the ATF and the car is at 176k miles right now.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #28
delgadilloalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rth121 View Post
I was wondering... if I should change the ATF fluid or not + filter (though I already ordered the filter...), as I'm not sure if the previous owner(s) ever changed the ATF and the car is at 176k miles right now.
I 117k on mine and I'm having shift problems when i drive for an hour or more in traffic. I'm gonna change mine before it gets worse.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #29
rth121

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadilloalex View Post
I 117k on mine and I'm having shift problems when i drive for an hour or more in traffic. I'm gonna change mine before it gets worse.

What kind of shifting problem are you experiencing? And what ATF are you planning to buy? I'm not sure if Valvoline Maxlife ATF will be fine..
Old 02-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #30
delgadilloalex

Down shift bang 4th to 1st coming to a stop when it's hot only. I have a zf ecstuning has a kit, red line d4 atf with filter and gaskets. 125$

Old 02-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #31
delgadilloalex

I also Forgot to replace my transmission thermosrat when I did my cooling system. So that what I'm doing this weekend. ATF change and trns thermostat and high pressure power steering hose is leaking all over so also replacing that.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:12 PM   #32
fordy_4

My Ride: 2000 BMW 330ci
I fixed the rough idel with a full oil change and flush. I used Penrite HPR5 5w-40.

I the auto fluid got changed yesterday after 17 years and 112,000kms so it was nice and dirty! Car already shifts noticeably better, and I thought it was smooth before the change. I'm glad it's gone

2000 BMW E46 330ci

Fern Green Division

fordy_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #33
fordy_4

They really are a peach of an engine these 3L inline 6's.
I had a 3.5 V6 in my Mitsubishi Magna (Diamante) and I thought that was responsive for a big 6 cyl.

2000 BMW E46 330ci

Fern Green Division

Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #34
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
OP, you're better off selling it at this point. Get yourself a better car like a newer civic or accord.

Last edited by BreakfastBurrito; 02-17-2017 at 08:52 AM.
BreakfastBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #35
rth121

^Might consider it if there are more issues to come up... The neighbor that I know works on BMW and Mini told me not to touch the ATF if the history is unknown for the ATF fluid... As it can cause problems if you change it... though he did say it supposed to be "lifetime".
Old 02-19-2017, 04:38 AM   #36
fordy_4

I dont understand that mentality about not touching the ATF if the history is unknown.
I think The only reason people follow this advice is because they're scared of what they might find

2000 BMW E46 330ci

Fern Green Division

Old 02-27-2017, 05:25 AM   #37
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Change the fluid.

Best of luck fixing the car, lesson learned with getting a PPI beforehand.