E46 Fanatics Forum banner

HPF stage 2 M3 passing inspection?

6K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  02black330ci 
#1 ·
Well, I live in New Hampshire. Our inspection test is simple.
The computer will make sure the car has run all of it's tests.
If any test are failed or "not ready", I will fail inspection.

I'm curious though, I plan on buying an 02 M3 with an HPF Stage 2 turbo kit, in the spring.
Will this car fail emissions tests in NH?

I really hope not, but I am told it will throw 9 codes which is normal for this kit.

Hoping someone from HPF can help here.

#5 · (Edited)
Most if not all kits are designed for offroad use only.

ofcourse this varies from state to state and passing the sniffer is not always guaranteed a pass. Check you local emission testing station or DMV to see what is required.

#6 ·
Our kit will pass the obd2 readiness tests with no issues.

#10 ·
Another reason to get this kit!

#8 ·
In NJ and many states that is not an option. Having a CEL equals instant failure of state inspection.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! As far as a sniff test, NH doesn't do that. You're allowed up to TWO tests "not ready".
If I had another black 2002 M3 that I could inspect, id be able to have them inspect that, tell them the VIN from the HPF car, hand me the sticker and I slap it on the HPF one. (Not legal but works).

But I'm now just trying to find a reasonably low miles E46 that's clean. Ill get a maximumPSI kit.
Although trying to find an M3 with under 70K miles, for under 30k seems impossible. Lol

#13 ·
I'm hoping that works. Well, the concept at least. I do have my eye on 2 different ones, priced pretty high (in my eyes) one guy wants it gone this month (not able to do that on my end)
Other guy is firm on price. But the car is both close, and amazing. I'll have to take a look and hope all goes well.

#17 ·
Well, I have been exchanging emaisl back and forth, and I was told it'll definitely pass inspection. It has no CEL and will pass all rediness tests, which is what NH goes by.
Basically, we plug our cars in, and the system will check to make sure the car says everything is OK. And that all tests have been "passed". If the ECU fails anything, I fail. If it passes everything (programmed to say it's fine) I'll pass.

#21 ·
Exactly. And if the cats were to be removed, all I would need to do is follow teh DIY guide on these forums for some programable O2 sensors, and program them for the values as shown, and I should be fine.
Or have a shop do it, but I don't plan on removing cats.

#27 ·
I'll spring for the kit. lol
I can't afford to buy another M3, same exact year, model, type, color, etc.

In NH if you've got the SAME EXACT car, use the registration from the clean car, have them test the clean car... but write the sticker for the boosted one, you'll pass. (illegally).

#32 ·
HPF setup replaces the factory section 1 with a straight 3inch pipe along with the wastage dump tube and then splits into a duel pipe connecting to the factory section 2 which in turn is connected to the stock muffler configuration.

#33 · (Edited)
Here's a photo I found on the forum that shows the HPF exhaust setup. If u look at the connection from section 1 to 2 the Y could be cut out and put a cat in that section. There are several slim stainless cats that could be squeezed in to the stock section 2. The setup pictured has an aftermarket single pipe for section 2 so a 3 inch cat could be dropped in. The only issues is that far back the cats may be rendered ineffective as the heat may not be as high that far back to burn efficiently. I know that Proefi has a module that mimics sensors so u don't throw any lights. It may only work with their system not sure. Leg Auto part Automotive exhaust

#35 ·
Well, I'll msot likely run without cats when I get the kit. Easy way to pass in the programmable O2 sensor.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=713645&highlight=headers+no+light

I do love the smell of a car running catless. That's one sexy smell.
But, I have plenty of time to decide, thanks for the concern though, I will in fact, keep in the mind melted mess. Honestly kinda scares me. lol

#36 ·
That might work for headers but not for most of the turbos. For example the HPF kit as mentioned before because it throws other codes which will fail u such as over retarded cam, crank trigger, no MAF etc...

#41 ·
I'm in the same boat. My car through too many codes to list. I had my car tested for emissions again right before i sent it out to HPF 2 years ago so I'd be good for a while. Went to get tested again last July just for kicks and flunked. So i decided to upgrad my HPF setup and I'll figure out something in 2014 when it's time to register it again. In CT, if you show that you've been spent a minimum of $777 or something to correct the problem, they'll waive the inspection and pass you for a year or two. Or if the car has a dealer plate, ya don't need emissions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.