E46 Fanatics Forum banner

New ZF transmission doesn't shift correctly

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  straycat23 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 325i. Had the reverse issue with the ZF transmission. Just got it back from the shop with a new rebuilt transmission. Now the car doesn't seem to shift correctly at slow speed. Roars and jutters and labors sometimes. The reverse is great now, however. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

#8 ·
I got it back Monday. I figured they didn't put it in right. I called the shop already. They told me to bring it in tomorrow. I just wanted to be sure there was no chance it was the torque converter or that the rebuilder put in a new reverse drum but ignored the forward drive on rebuild. My mechanics an an honest shop though. I don't think they would tell me it was something it wasn't. Just wanted some opinions on what it may be. Thanks.

#11 ·
I'm using Wurster's in Franklin, TN just outside Nashville.. Cost was $3925 including everything: Installation, transmission and fluids. He's always done a good job for me with the possible exception of my steering angle sensors which he missed entirely. My car has been nothing but problems, but I like it when it runs right.

#14 ·
For $4000 , You should have seriously thought of learning to drive a standard and cut your loses.
I know how to drive a standard. I've been doing it all my driving life. I would have gotten a standard with this car except my wife can't drive a standard with her rotator cuff issues( a little benefit of being an ICU and ER nurse for many years). I suspect the standards in these cars have their problems too though I haven't researched it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.