E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Need help power steering issue after fix

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Vinoth 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, need a little advice from the community.

About 1 week ago I went to go start my car and after, noticed my power steering was not working. Steering was extremely stiff and difficult to turn. Fluid level looked fine though a bit dark. Went ahead and changed the ps pump with a new one. I let the old fluid drain and refilled with new Dextron VI ATF. Turned wheel left to right while car was started to bleed air and allow fluid to cycle through. Steering was loose and felt normal again.

BUTTTT, after leaving it overnight, started an steering is completely stiff again. Fluid level still looks the same. Here's the wierd thing, If I rev the car beyond 2000rpm, the power steering kicks back in ... And it stays on . Even if I stop the car turn off and on , it works fine .. It's only when I leave over night it's stiff before I start the first drive

I verified no leaks .. Belt doesnt appear to be slipping.. other pulleys and tensioner were changed about a year ago..I'm thinking it could be steering rack leaking internally when cold.. Any thoughts ?

#4 · (Edited)
It's a luk lf20 pump. And if it were a bad pump I would expect symptoms consistently and not only on first startup in the morning ... Belt and tensioner were changed about a year ago and it doesn't appear to be slipping . Again a simple rev to 2000rpm in the morning fixes the issue for the rest of the day. It only comes back once the car sits for 6 hours or more

It's had been suggested that this could be an issue with the fluid flow when cold through the steering rack

#5 ·
I wonder if you changed out the resivore? It contains the filter which may be clogged. I changed my pump, hoses and resivore yesterday and the problem I had was getting the air out of the system. I let it sit for 30 mins and apparently the air purged itself. Works awesome and no more ps whine. I used dextrin III.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.