04 325i rebuild. - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2015, 09:52 PM   #21
Gumbygoose

My Ride: 04 325i,91YJ,98ek
I had planned on a road trip today to Wisconsin with a buddy, but his truck broke down before we set off, so I have spent the day in the garage. Got quite a bit done today. Still lots more to do. But in all reality, its never finished.

Removed all the broken plastic bits, undertray, and aluminum crossmember thing(not sure of parts exact name) and started removing the dirt and grass from the ditch and field this thing went for a drive thru. I swear I've had less mud under my jeep going trailing then this car had.

photo 20151016_151915_zpsabqz9ncc.jpg

photo 20151016_151924_zpsqm0eushc.jpg

photo 20151016_151931_zpszbfejpyc.jpg
That's my 2.5lb "do work" hammer. I had all the dirts. Lol
 photo 20151016_181245_zps7c4ypjjb.jpg

What I didn't take pictures of was all the crud and dirt shoved in the radiator and a/c condenser. I removed the core support (nice that it unbolts), backed the car out and washed it out. Man it was nasty.

After washing the radiator, I proceeded to drill out the rivets on the bumper struts and replaced them.

All said and done, I got to bumper to fit pretty decent without Andy body shop tools. I didn't realize however that there are brackets on the fender that hold the edges of the bumper up. They broke and long gone. So some zip-ties and self-tap screws are making up for that.

photo 20151016_144725_zpsad8gwwiu.jpg

And yes the l do have the left headlight garnish,its one of the random parts that got left at my uncles after the move.
 photo 20151016_195009_zpsibch7wc8.jpg

This is all the plastic bits being replaced that either magically disappeared or shattered.
 photo 20151016_184649_zpswcslgu0q.jpg
99 Saturn sl1 for the daily and rallyx duties
Gumbygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #22
killa_e46

My Ride: E46 M3
This is awesome!
killa_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #23
Gumbygoose

Woke up early today and decided to work on the German turd. Finally got the left headlight to line up good enough for my standards, and installed inner fender liners. Those are a pain. Here is how she sits now.(yes the tow hook cover is missing. It's at my mother's house)
 photo 20151021_172601_zpsg3xkmuvq.jpg

Just ordered some stuff from ECS, left turn(lens is busted), ccv hose to dipstick(noticed it was broke while digging the field out from under it), driver window regulator...again( makes #4 since 2007), and a new fuel pump tank o-ring. (Leaks when tank is completely full)

Couldn't get the mirror switch out of the door panel without risking damage. Going to harbor freight this weekend and getting a plastic interior tool kit. Man I hate interior work. I'm a ginger and have no patience for interior plastic shenanigans.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #24
Depoman

I dont mean to thread jack, but i notice your car is the same color tone as mine ( already tried asking this on the color thread to no avail) below i will quote my post question.

Ps. Keep up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depoman View Post
The strut tower under the hood says silver grey a08/7 but ive read there are variants to that code. A08/7 G,B,Y II, etc.
Even more curious, the engine bay including the area that displays the paint color code is definitely the darker, traditional silver grey color that im seeing across this thread. Could there be that much color fade? Its been garaged its whole life.
Depoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #25
Gumbygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depoman View Post
I dont mean to thread jack, but i notice your car is the same color tone as mine ( already tried asking this on the color thread to no avail) below i will quote my post question.

Ps. Keep up the good work

Cool man. When this car is cleaned up, this color really pops. Can't really tell in the pictures much, but my replacement front bumper is steel blue. It's close to the silver/grey.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:54 AM   #26
Gumbygoose

Got some more work done. Ccv hose installed, window regulator in, and mirror. The fuel leak issue was due to a pinched fuel pump gasket, new gasket installed and all good. Only mechanical thing left is changed the right rear arm out and then she's road ready.

She looks like a car agian.
 photo 20151030_111330_zpsyminchhl.jpg

Was rotted and fell apart when I grabbed it.
 photo 20151030_094037_zpstpqwqg7p.jpg

Picture explains it all
 photo IMG_20151030_080343_zpsrynnykeg.jpg

So finally figured out why the battery wouldn't hold charge. Car took a hard enough hit to break the battery post. It wasn't the correct size anyway and was loose. I now have a autocraft gold 94r from advance auto parts.
 photo 20151023_173336_zpsjaz1qwph.jpg

Still on the search for a rear bumper. Two body shops quoted me $180+ on plastic welding the tear back up. Both shops claim it wouldn't look right even if they did.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #27
Gumbygoose

Did some adjusting on the rear control arm. Got it good enough till it can be taken to a alignment shop. Took it for a test drive. Has super bad bounce. Both rear shocks are blown, right front strut is blown.

I was wanting to put a h&r cup kit on come tax refund time, but looks like I'll be buying a early Xmas present.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #28
Gumbygoose

H&r touring cup kit on the way along with strut reinforcement plates and shock reinforcement plates. I'm ready to start driving this thing!
Old 11-17-2015, 07:41 PM   #29
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Just discovered this thread. Great work OP! Never knew there was a Symsonia, KY before this. Closest I've been to there is Clinton, KY.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller - BIMMER
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #30
Gumbygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Just discovered this thread. Great work OP! Never knew there was a Symsonia, KY before this. Closest I've been to there is Clinton, KY.

Clinton. Not much there in that tiny town. Lol I'm about 40-45 miles from Clinton.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #31
Gumbygoose

Still waiting on my cup kit. A friend wanted to try his hand at epoxying the ripped bumper back together. He can't make it worse. Lol

Till it can get a legit, full professional paint job, I'm going to plasti-dip it. Yes, yes most of you loyal fans are going to be irritated reading this, but its my car. I will do what I like. The car will go back to its original grey-metalic but for the time being it will being its going to be army/olive drab green with anthracite grey hood and wheels, possibily the roof. We will see when. That time comes. If the epoxy trick don't work, the rear bumper will get zip tie stitches. Why not, its already going to be green. Lol

I like this color too much to permanently change it. Trust me the green will only be temporary. She dirty, mismatched, and bumperless and still looks good.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #32
Gumbygoose

Cup kit is on truck for delivery.

So I took measurements of the ride height before I started disassembly.

04 325i non-sport suspension. Sitting on type 44s with 235/45r17. Measurements were taken from floor to center of wheel arch.

LF 27 7/16". RF 26 11/16"
LR 26". RR 261/8"

Today I will get it on stands and spray bolts with aero kroil.(comes in a small orange can, if you ever see it, buy it. Best stuff EEVVAAARRR). Let bolts soak over night, and when I get off work tomorrow morning(work midnights), I'll start disassembly. Then reassembly will happen Friday.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #33
Gumbygoose

Got impatient and didn't wait and im glad I didn't. After pulling everything off(easiest struts ever) I learned that the strut mounts are shot. Ordered uro ones from ecs and having them overnighted. Still cheaper than getting a pair from the local part stores. It's going to drivable and ready for alignment by this weekend.

My 'ol jeep creeping in the background. It's had alot of attention the past two weeks
Old 11-25-2015, 11:09 PM   #34
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
Great thread. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #35
Gumbygoose

My spring compressors would not compress the spring enough to install the top hat. The h&r strut doesn't extend out very far. A friend of mine who has a 01 e46 sedan, had some compressors that work. Meet him when I got off work this morning and got them all fixed up. Then went joy riding in his car.

After I get done stuffing my face at my moms, I will go home and slap these bad boys in and see how she is going to perform.

Pictures will happen soon.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #36
Gumbygoose

Cup kit installed. Drove good on test drive. Now waiting for a alignment.
Here is measurements after test drive.
LF 25 1/2". RF 25 5/8"
RR 25 3/4". RR 25 3/4"

Enjoy some pictures of the progress

This is my friends e46, he had a set of compressors that would work. He is rocking same cup kit. Them vmr wheels look good too.

Yay parts

Rear spring difference

Front spring difference.

This is how she sits. I like it.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #37
Gumbygoose

Slapped some insurance on the car and got it aligned today. She drives awesome I love it. Just wished it were a manual transmission. Did manage to bolt the rear bumper back on. Rip is glued together and looks like major sh!%. But its better than not having one. As I said I will rock it, till I can get a good one. DYC was having a sell today so my dip is ordered. Car will be camo green and anthracite grey for a while.

Here is what the rear bumper looks like on the car.

The rip looks terrible, but its got to work for now

Old 12-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #38
Gumbygoose

My dip just arrived. It's going to look awesome. When I get off work tomorrow morning I'll give the car a good scrub then start the taping process. Can't wait!
Old 12-02-2015, 11:39 PM   #39
jaga

My Ride: 2002 325i
Great. I know that 'can't way feeling'. Enjoy
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #40
Gumbygoose

So. It's done. Car is temporary plastidip till a legit paint job can be done. Turned out ok. This is the 4th car I have done. Every color throws a new challenge laying it down. I think it looks killer. The wheels need to be dark grey IMO, that will come later on though. Some of you will like it, others will hate it. It's mine. I'm building/fixing it for me not you guys. Lol

Here enjoy some pictures.

Thank you 2010 advance auto parts ad fliers. Makes great masking paper.

This was right after we unmasked it and put all trim on.

Letting it sit outside and cure up in the sunshine. Not to shabby for plastidip.

Have to build some funds back up over holiday season, and more things will me done/fixed.