E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Spray Paint

5K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Mango 
#1 ·
First, I'm a new member and this is a GREAT forum! Soooo much useful information!

Now my question: I'm looking to paint my trunk lip spoiler, but don't want to pay a shop +/- $100 to do it. There are a few online retailers who sell spray cans. I need titanium silver metallic for a 2004 330ci. I took a look, but didn't see any particularly recent threads on this subject. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#3 ·
I asked my local BMW dealer who did their body shop and paint work, and they hooked me up with a local shop and paint provider. They took my paint code and matched it perfectly. Mine is Alpine White. There are many shades of "white", but they got it just right. Can't see a difference in the new paint and my 10-year-old paint. I'm sure you can find a similar shop in Baltimore.

#4 ·
If you have never painted before doing it by rattle can is most likely going to come out looking terrible. And if it does it'll cost you more in the end than if you had it painted by a shop to begin with.

If you do want to do it yourself there are plenty of youtube videos on painting parts with a can. It is possible to do it, but the key is prep. You're going to need primer and clear as well.

#9 ·
Keep this in mind, and the fact that it's only a spoiler, and go for it. It's not like you're going to ruin the car. You'll learn a lot in the process.

#5 · (Edited)
Practice on something with the rattle can first before applying it to the actual piece. It's not hard to do at all. Just takes a little patience and practice to learn how the spray lays down depending on the sweep speed and distance. Practice makes perfect.

#6 ·
OP, I know you are looking for a paint advice. Painting without experience and required tools is a big no no.
Why not just buy a painted one from ebay.
$30 and it comes painted with double sided tape and what not.

I have it on my coupe for more than a year and it has not changed color or lost any shape.

Get something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Painted-BMW...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ce85aaba&vxp=mtr

I dont have the link to the one I bought but there is a thread about this kind of spoiler. I guess it is called "post pictures of ebay spoiler" or something similar.

#13 ·
It's one thing to pick up a can of paint, even the factory mixed color, and paint the part expecting a job that will look acceptably similar to the factory job. It's another thing to actually make that happen.

Besides paint, if you wan't to do this the way a professional painter would do this, you will requre these materials.

1. 2 sheets of each grade wet/dry sand paper 100g,220g,320g,400g,600g,800g,1000g,1500g,2000g.
  2. A 1x3x5 closed cell foam block that you can form into a sandng block to be used with the sandpabper.
  3. A spray bottle for water.
  4. A solvent bottle for squirting laquer thinner to clean parts.
  5. A flexible surface prep rattle can. A sandable hi-build primer.
  6. An organic mask, to keep the fumes away.
  7. A buffer, 3 type of buffing pads, and at least to types of polish.
What they didn't tell you at the shop is that BMW factory painjobs have a clear coat over the top of them so you're going to need that too. The clear will need to be an air dissolving catalyst to work from a rattle can. Add to the cost. The next thing you'll need t learn is when to use with grade of sandpaper as you're taking the surface down.

Good Luck

#19 ·
Depends on what you want. $100 is not much to pay for a spoiler paint job, if the final result is what you are seeking. You could spend as much or more by trying it yourself, based on the knowledge posted on this thread. If you don't have experience with spray paint, and want a good looking spoiler at the lowest price, pay to have it done. If you want to learn how to use a spray can, because you may want to paint other things (on your car or in your house), then try a can from BavAuto. Education costs before it pays off.

#21 ·
you should have bought one of the painted decklid spoilers in the first place if you are on a budget - and now that you have $ invested - what is $100??? come on - dont be cheap

I cant wait to see pics of the end result of you DIY painting if you are asking these questions in the first place...

#25 ·
I would just like to say that the success of a spray job is in the preperation of the surface to be sprayed and the conditions during the spraying process. That's what you get for your money in a body shop. You can save a few sheckles by doing it yourself but I would let the pros do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.