E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Go LSD or stay stock?

18K views 80 replies 28 participants last post by  jaymemaurice 
#1 ·
Hey all,

My differential pinion bearing is whining at 10+MPH. Took it in and the local shop (great guys, btw) and they quoted me a used diff replacement ("low mileage", 6mo warranty) diff "green-seal" improvement, boot seal replacement, general cleanup, fluid replacement, etc for about $985 (The diff was about $385, other parts about $150).

Asked if I brought in a new LSD and he quoted me 4 hours (~$100). thinking about $1700-2000k for the LSD diff...

So $2100-2400 for the LSD or $1000 for used, stock???

should I bite the bullet? Is the LSD that much of an improvement? what would you guys do?

brett

#4 ·
Jim, no current HP gains. I'm mainly a have fun-on-the-street guy with dreams of track time in the future. I read about great improvements in response around the corners, improvements in deceleration handling etc... Would love to be able to turn off the TC and have more control...

#3 ·
Little disclaimer I have never driven a car with an LSD.

But in theory an LSD is really only useful in situations where you experience limited grip. So to me for an everyday driving car with traction control, I don't see the usefulness of an investment like this.

#5 ·
Little disclaimer I have never driven a car with an LSD.

But in theory an LSD is really only useful in situations where you experience limited grip. So to me for an everyday driving car with traction control, I don't see the usefulness of an investment like this.
not entirely true.
Once you drive a car with LSD, you will not be crazy about cars without it.
If you are cornering (even on dry roads), and your speed causes the inside wheel to lift, the TC will kick in and slow you down until TC/ECU finds it safe to resume forward acceleration.
Same scenario, with LSD, turn TC off, inside wheel lifts, power goes to the outside wheel and you can keep forward acceleration.

#8 ·
also, are you sure your pinion bearing is going out? have you checked your fluid and or replaced recently?

#28 ·
Was hoping a post like this would be here.

OP, diff whine is a very common thing. Have you looked to see if you have any signs of leaks around the seal in back, to the drive axles or from the drive shaft. Very easy to check the level...and to drain and fill.

Please start there. I understand the guys like their lsds, but you don't need it at all...and you don't need another diff.

My crappy stock pos 2.93 diff has 230K miles on it, doesn't whine, and brings me to 39 in first, 69 in second. I can't wait to show a 330 what a 328 can do on the dragstrip...coming up end of May!

Change the fluid first. Then, consider other things too before changing the diff. I can't say I've heard of one diff failure here at all. Because of that, you might also want to search your regional forum for a well-recommended Indy. Just saying!

#9 ·
Hey all,

should I bite the bullet? Is the LSD that much of an improvement? what would you guys do?

brett
I had a Quaife limited slip installed, that is what I would do!!

If you run AutoX, you will have inside rear wheel slip with a 330i/Ci and DSC off.
Even for a daily driver with DSC on, it will intervene less often with a limited slip.
I hated the ECU cutting power when DSC detected wheel spin. I get much much less of that now.

#10 ·
After having a whole bunch of e30s and e36s with LSD, I find the e46 to be kind of depressing without it. Yeah, the brakes vector the torque around, but it just doesn't feel the same. If the prices were closer, I'd go for it.

How about tacking the labor yourself? Then you'd be all sorted.

#11 ·
My 3.38 (bought used from a forum member--forgot who lol) whines like a B***h at freeway speeds. Brand new fluid in it too and it had about 100k on it when I got it (same mileage as my car as coincidence) and now has 122k or around there. From the research I've done (including contacting Dan @ DiffsOnline.com, it seems that SOME BMW diffs whine, SOME don't. Anybody have a quiet 3.38 on their E46 330? I'm almost certain my butyl tape is in tact too. The indy I had do it (I don't have access to a lift and jackstands scare me) said he didn't drop the driveshaft which means the tape wasn't touched.. which means my diff truly whines.

Or I could put back my silent 2.93... :(

#30 ·
The indy I had do it (I don't have access to a lift and jackstands scare me) said he didn't drop the driveshaft which means the tape wasn't touched.. which means my diff truly whines.

Or I could put back my silent 2.93... :(
Hopefully mines doesn't wine, I picked up a 3.38 also... but what's this about "dropping the driveshaft"? I've never heard of anything like that with swapping the diff?

#13 ·
I think it's overkill on a car with stock power output. Here is my experience:
stock 325 with 3.15 diff - no problems with traction
stock 325 with 3.46 diff - no problems with traction
supercharged 325 with 3.15 diff - still no problems with open diff. Turned the DSC off for spirited driving.
supercharged 330 with 3.46 diff - I'm glad I got the Quaife, even with the LSD it's tricky to get some traction.

My vote goes to used diff ($200) and DIY, it's pretty easy swap as long as you stay with the same input flange (I believe the 3.38 from a 330 automatic does).

#17 ·
I think it's overkill on a car with stock power output. Here is my experience:
stock 325 with 3.15 diff - no problems with traction
stock 325 with 3.46 diff - no problems with traction
supercharged 325 with 3.15 diff - still no problems with open diff. Turned the DSC off for spirited driving.
supercharged 330 with 3.46 diff - I'm glad I got the Quaife, even with the LSD it's tricky to get some traction.
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
why does everyone always insist on thinking this is for take-off traction. a LSD is not only used for take-offs. it's for traction in and out of every turn one makes and also on decel. a LSD is also about handling.

#16 ·
My wife was at the track this weekend. She is ridiculously fast. I don't know what her trick is. She just keeps getting better and better.

Actually, I do know her trick. She learns the track, before worrying about going fast. I'm just not patient enough for that. I should learn from her.

Anyway...

This weekend, as she was passing everyone, a couple of instructors commented to their students about how fast she was. One of the students came and found her, to tell her about it. He also said "you were smoking your tires through those corners!"

I told her she needed a limited slip diff, and explained why.

"Nah" she said, "I can still see a lot more places where I can pick up more speed."

So, take that for whatever little it is worth. I think she might have liked hearing that she was putting on a show, as she left people behind. :)

#23 · (Edited)
I guess I am particularly wondering, relative to the different setup options for LSD. Is it possible to set one up with not enough slip? All of my experience is with factory limited slip diffs. Part of me was sighing with relief, when my wife turned down the offer for a new diff. One less thing for me to figure out.

#24 ·
Da Fvck do you need a LSD for ? I dont even have one

#25 ·
my main reason if i were to get an lsd if there was a ton of snow and rain annually
in my case there is a ton of sh!tty weather so i do need a lsd some times but i live through it without the fun
OP if you can afford it go for it i personally think you wont but ill just say you should

#27 ·
Unless your putting down over 100 hp more than stock and a manual tranny you dont need an LSD even for the track < i track mine often and do just fine, You dont need to get one for wet road or snow either , I drove mine for nearly 3 years in the snow without problems

#37 ·
Unless your putting down over 100 hp more than stock and a manual tranny you dont need an LSD even for the track < i track mine often and do just fine, You dont need to get one for wet road or snow either , I drove mine for nearly 3 years in the snow without problems
:banghead: i give up!!!!!!!!!

way too many people posting about something they don't fully understand

i wish i had Moderator options so i could just delete the nonesense

#59 ·
Using the Metric system like you Hosers use, that's about the power output of a Smart Car.

:rofl:
a 1000 horse power car here Higher above sea level taken down to the states tuned would make more than 1000 horse power down at sea level

#33 ·
Intoxication

#42 ·
:spit: No
..but that was funny.

#39 ·
LSD > No LSD. There's a reason it's almost always offered at an additional cost.

Don't believe me? Take two identical Jeeps, one with LSD's in both axles and one without, out on a mud-filled trail. Which one is probably getting winched out?

#40 ·
LSD > non LSD yes.

Jeep analogy - no.

Take a Jeep with 44" mudders and a Jeep with Pilot Sports and throw them in the mud. I should then put 44" mudders on my e46?

Take a Jeep with 4WD and a Jeep with 2WD and throw them in the mud. So, I should have 4WD for the track?

The "higher price must mean better" idea is also dangerous.

LSD is better, but not for the reasons you cited, particularly in this application.

#47 ·
With regards to the butyl tape (not the highly charged - LSD versus non-LSD subject) - If the driveline is dropped, usually the butyl tape will stick to both the center-bearing, and the chassis mounting well, leaving portions on both surfaces. Butyl tape in itself is probably stickier than your aunt mini's denture cream.

If you pull the center-bearing down during driveline work, when reinstalled, the butyl tape may NOT be evenly distributed between the center-bearing and the chassis mounting well. This may cause a slight offset allowing the center-bearing to make direct contact with the chassis, causing driveline noise to be transmitted through the car.

#68 ·
Power had very little to do with the usefulness of an LSD. My first BMW was a bone stock E36 318is with an LSD, and that thing could take corners faster, go through rain and snow easier and do just about everything better than my second 325is could because it had an open diff. There is a DRASTIC difference between an open and limited slip diff, anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. Open diffs give you less feel of the road, less control over what the back of your car is doing. I would definitely put an LSD in my 330 if it were cost-effective to do so.

On the topic, anybody know anything about these? http://bavauto.com/shop.asp

#72 ·
Power had very little to do with the usefulness of an LSD. My first BMW was a bone stock E36 318is with an LSD, and that thing could take corners faster, go through rain and snow easier and do just about everything better than my second 325is could because it had an open diff. There is a DRASTIC difference between an open and limited slip diff, anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. Open diffs give you less feel of the road, less control over what the back of your car is doing. I would definitely put an LSD in my 330 if it were cost-effective to do so.
Exactly, power does not mean one can't benefit greatly from a LS Diff. Contrary to another's post.
Another simple example is from bmw's lineup the 325es, '91 318is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.