E46 Fanatics Forum banner

When should I shift?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ///M Powerd 
#1 ·
Just curious on this one and wondering if I am shifting too low.. Lots of the obvious caveats of when and how you are driving, but this is just day to day commute kinda driving.

I had some feedback that I am shifting "too low" on my GSXR liter bike, and should let it run higher before a shift.

That set me to pondering if I am doing the same in the M3. I shift well within the low power band in normal driving, no lugging or other too low evidence.

Should the engine run higher though in general?

#2 ·
Maybe you are looking a little bit too much into this, however you should be shifting between 2500 and 3000 rpms if I had to say "in general." You should be able to tell when you are straining the engine at a too high rpm or too low, so use your best judgement.

Obviously when you are going uphill, shift at a high RPM or just keep in in that lower gear rather than bringing you into an RPM that is going to give you no power. These are just normal every day cars, no special care needed besides proper fluid warm up and a little preventative maintenance.

#3 · (Edited)
Yes. Shift around 4k or higher. That seems proportionally inline percentage wise of a car with a lower redline.

Also first! And In before shift at redline,shift at rev limiter,shift when the valves bend,shift 1/4 mile at a time,shift when you are done being ghay,ect.ect...

sent from my ATARI sc1224

#4 ·
yes. Shift around 4k or higher. That seems proportionally inline percentage wise of a car with a lower redline.

Also first! And in before shift at redline,shift at rev limiter,shift when the valves bend,shift 1/4 mile at a time,shift when you are done being ghay,ect.ect...

Sent from my atari sc1224
+1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.