E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Rear abs issue?????

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  superd21007 
#1 ·
Hey all... so I git this new weird issues going on... When I brake to a complete stop, my drivers rear anti-lock brake triggers.

Let me give details: It only happens when I am to a complete stop. Doesn't happen until the speedo is at the last hash mark and I am a slow crawl. The pedal vibrates and makes the classic abs sound until I am stopped. No lights come on at all. Braking performance is not affected. DOES NOT happen while braking while driving. NO other wheel are doing this, I can hear the chatter at that corner. Brakes are all new as of 8 months ago with brand new calipers.

No shimmy's, vibrations or other noises while driving or braking. I did notice that when this happens the speedo needle drops to zero immediately even though I am still moving slowly.....

Weird as ****.... any thoughts on this??? Bad sensor? Traction control issue??

Turned off traction control and it still happened....

Thanks!!

#3 ·
Agreed that it's probably a speed sensor. Weird that the rear wheels would control the speedometer though. Those wheels can spin faster than the car is moving if you break traction. I would think they would go with the front, non-powered wheels so there would be no possibility of this.

#6 ·
where does the sensor read? Looks like the bearing or axle spindle? Didn't put this together for some dumbass reason, but had that wheel bearing replaced the other day and haven't really driven until yesterday. Maybe it got damaged or somehow gunked up the sensor.

#10 ·
Had similar problem recently.

Changed let rear sensor and sorted it, well almost. After i changed that, it would occasionally flicker the dsc light an this would then mess with throttle and braking (assume it thought i was skidding)

So replaced other rear sensor. Sorted.

Take your time undoing them, if original they are easily rounded!

Also, see if you just press dtc button, that does not switch everything off. Hold it down until brake light also comes on and see if it still does it then too.

#12 ·
Follow up:

Thanks for the solid call guys.... finally had a chance to get to this and found out that all the ground sh$t from the bearing going so bad was stuck to the magnet. I couldn't believe how much really!! lol Anyway still waiting for my new one to be delivered as this one fell apart while trying to pull it out as it was the original I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.