E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY VID: ZKW Lens Installation / Headlight Disassembly

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BernoccoZHP 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Hey guys, if all you are replacing is the lens.... you don't even have to take the HL assy lose. All you have to do is:

1) remove the signal light (just let it hang there)

2) remove the lower trim piece, toward the outside of the car there are two barb releases - use a small scribe tool (harbor freight or pep boys, etc come in sets of four, (straight-right angle-angled-and half circle) use the right angle one from inside to push the barb out while gently pulling on the trim, then the second barb below it, then go to the other side (toward grille) and use the same tool to gently push the barb and pull the trim.

3) remove the weather strip on top of the HL assy. It has four pull-out tab type so gently pull on them as you pull the weather strip toward you. BE CAREFUL OF THE BOTTOM TAB ON THE WEATHER STRIP IT IS VERY EASY TO BREAK THE TIP OF IT OFF - IF YOU DO - NO BIG DEAL BECAUSE YOU HAVE FOUR OTHERS TO HOLD THE W/S ON (I broke that lower tab)

4) now you will see the snap tabs holding the lens onto the HL bucket, you can snap these free with your finger. Then take a pocket screwdriver and gently pry the lens away from the bucket - done!

5) now you are ready to snap in the new lens and reattach the W/S, trim piece and single light.

I only did the right side today because the supplier was out of stock on the left. I will take pix on the next one and post back on this thread.

I hope this helps, job only takes a few minutes and three tools (phillips screwdriver to remove the signal light, pocket screwdriver and right angle scribe tool - oh, you may have to lift your hood. LOL

eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.