E46 Fanatics Forum banner

330xi all season replacement tires

10K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Karl 
#1 ·
I am looking to replace the original equipment Continental CV95s on my 2001 330xi with all season tires. I am considering the Continental ExtremeContact and the Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S, both of which get good reviews at Tire Rack. Also, I think I'll go up to 225/45R17s from the original 205/50R17s (more tire for the money). I use my 330xi for everyday commuting and am looking for a good all-around tire with good durability (high performance is not a real concern for me...). Anyone have any experience with either of these tires, or can recommend alternatives?

Thanks everyone.

Jim

#5 ·
I ended up purchasing the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in 205/50/17 as a replacement all-season tire for my 330xi. I also at first wanted to go with 225/45/17, but after doing some reading, I decided against it. I found several posts on car forums about tire sectional width to wheel width ratio, and for best handling, your wheel width should be at least 90% of your tire sectional width. 215/45/17 was another ok possibility, but I didn't want to change the overall diameter much. As for the tire type, I had read about a few problems with the ContiExtremes flatspotting, and the PZero Nero M+S didn't have as good snow traction as the Pilot Sport A/S. Given that, pretty soon these tires will be relegated to the ski-trip-only role, snow traction is the primary function (and 400 highway miles each way). The only downside is that they're a considerable bit pricier than the ContiExtremes or the Nero M+S.

#7 ·
After some great advice from the folks at tirerack.com, I've decided to go with the larger 225/45R17 Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S tires. Since I will be getting 4 tires, I don't have to worry about matching existing tires like you may have to do.

#9 ·
So how do like the new tire size? I have a 2003 BMW 330xi sport package with 205/50R17 OEM run flat tires and cannot find a replacement run flat in that size anymore.

I am considering either going with a 225/45R17 run flat (the Pirelli Pzero Nero All Season) or go with non-run flat in the stock 205/50R17. I think the stock rims are 7" wide.

I am in Los Angeles and very rarely drive to the mountains in the snow to ski/snowboard, so it would mostly be dry roads but I would like good traction in the rain too.

Any suggestions?

#8 ·
Thanks for the advice, i ended up getting 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in 205/50-17 from a local dealer...they were more expensive than tirerack by about $20/tire, but i needed some tires ASAP. Hope these will do the trick :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.