Best way to restore the trim - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
AlexC28

My Ride: 323i 2000
Best way to restore the trim

My trim around the car looks faded, old and white after waxing my car, should i use plati dip or mother back to black?
AlexC28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
I searched the forum for faded molding and found a lot of results
Old 02-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
AlexC28

My Ride: 323i 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I searched the forum for faded molding and found a lot of results
Thanks, still not used to looking things up
AlexC28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 02 325xi
My buddy's dad uses wipe new at his detailing shop. I never tried it but it always looks good
Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #5
Nolan_R

My Ride: 2005 330i
I just used wipe new on my car. My mom bought it for me as a Christmas gift and it looked kind of cheap, so I was a little hesitant to use it. I spent about 3 cleaning my car the other day and the headlight lenses were the only thing that looked bad. I used the wipe new on it and holy cow it worked super well. Not perfect (although I don't think I sanded enough) but really well! I used it on my chrome trim and my mirror trim and it made both look brand new. It's only been about 3 days so I can't tell how well it holds up but I was impressed.
Nolan_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
JPMo

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
If you're talking about the rubberized/plastic trim around the exterior, I used the Mr. Clean magic eraser and some Adams APC (APC optional, probably could just use car soap for lubrication or nothing even) to clean them. The magic eraser is like a super fine sandpaper, so it removed all of the oxidation and should get rid of the wax. Trim looked great at that point and you could stop there.

Next, I wanted to protect the trim so I put gyeon trim coat (any trim coating would work) on it, my windshield cowl, and rear diffuser. You could put it on any plastics. The coating is basically like a wax for plastics. It darkened them up significantly and added some water repelling ability. Couldn't be more satisfied.

I bought my car in Oct 2016. 5 months later, and it all looks just as good as the day I did it.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics as I spent a full weekend detailing the car when i purchased it and couldn't bother taking pictures. It was alot of work lol

2004 Titanium Silver 330i ZHP

Last edited by JPMo; 03-11-2017 at 10:32 PM.
JPMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:36 AM   #7
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Aero 303 is good. It's not overly shiny but will revitalize the black trim.

Edit: When searching try googling e46fanatics + whatever you are trying to find. I also found results for faded molding and bimmerfest shows up lower on the list along with youtube results.

Last edited by Hamsocne; 03-12-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Hamsocne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:58 AM   #8
allikanbe

My Ride: 2013 335is vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsocne View Post
Aero 303 is good. It's not overly shiny but will revitalize the black trim.

Edit: When searching try googling e46fanatics + whatever you are trying to find. I also found results for faded molding and bimmerfest shows up lower on the list along with youtube results.
yes 303 works well
allikanbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:07 PM   #9
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I use 3M Leather Vinyl restorer. I've used it for years. It's hard to find though. After I was my car I spray it on the cowl and the back piece on the bumper and let it soak in. The trim around the side mirrors I apply with a microfiber towel. It takes about 2-3 wipes. This last for a month or two, depending on the weather.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 05-01-2017, 06:32 PM   #10
MCeatalot

My Ride: 2005 330ci zhp
Mothers Back to Black.
MCeatalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #11
Gbro

My Ride: 2004 E46 325xi
303 works ok, but is used typically for interior plastics, as previously mentioned Back to Black works very well.
Gbro is offline   Reply With Quote