Underbody rust e46 330ci - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
Damon Ryan

My Ride: 03 vw Jetta, 02 acco
Underbody rust e46 330ci

Hello! Was wondering what you guys think about underbody rust. I have some on my 330ci

I'm sure there's more in other areas, should I be worried?
Was thinking about going under with a wire wheel and painting it, I would do that when its garaged for the winter.
Other parts I'm not worried about because they are replaceable. I'm just not sure what is and what is not. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damon Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:46 PM   #2
Damon Ryan

Ttt

Old 09-28-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
Damon Ryan

Bump

Old 10-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
kburger

My Ride: 323ci coupe 2000 bmw
i live in southeastern PA phili area. Rust is bad on my 2000 323ci. There are a bunch of products to slow the rust down. amsoil heavy duty metal protector is good to spray on I do it before winter hits. You was car with underbody wash (water only). after its dry hit all rust areas with the amsoil. Looks like you can wait until your subframe bushings are shot. Then you can replace the whole subframe with a used one. Ebay sells them from California rust free with new bushings installed for 100 bucks. Biggest job I ever did subframe is huge job you can read about it in these forums. I treated all the nuts and bots with vinegar to get them rust free a lot of the big bolts are 15 20 bucks a piece new. Then I treated the replacement subframe with 3 coats of por15 rust inhibitor. You do that with the replacement subframe before installing it. Its all about time and money. My car was off the road 5 weeks. anyway my rust was a lot worse than yours before I replaced the subframe. Safety is the main concern. Doesn't look too bad to me. Hey that main cross piece is part of the subframe. I thought it was the body of the car its not. But like I said biggest job I ever did but you can get one used that's as good as new with new bushings already installed for 100 bucks on ebay. looks like you can get a few more years out of it I would go by when the bushings are shot. Behind that subframe is the body of the car that has the coating like what you see on the spare tire spot. If that's rust free you should be fine.
kburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:22 AM   #5
Damon Ryan

I know it's been a long time but thank you man. That's the news I want to hear. Not the game over type of news haha