ECU Fuse Pack - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
u156446

My Ride: 2001 330i
ECU Fuse Pack

How do you open the little 5-pack of fuses in the ECU? I was able to pop the pack out of the ECU and it looks like the top should slide off to get access to the fuses in there, but it doesn't want to slide off. Suggestions?
u156446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
Blurr

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Necroing this thread but just in case someone come's across it, here's a link on how to deal with the fuse pack in the engine bay.

http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e46/bmw-...nderhood-e-box
Blurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:19 AM   #3
Blurr

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Also, this thread is extremely helpful if you came across the same issue that I had. Car died suddenly after a hard turn, would crank but wouldn't turn over, seemed like a fuse, the following codes showed up: P2401, P2419, P1430, P1413. Turned out to just be the 20a fuse that's a part of the fuse pack in question.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=828901&page=2
Blurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Updated link: http://blog.bavauto.com/5677/bmw-e46...derhood-e-box/

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
1cynic

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
I have a question: What can happen if one replaces a 20-amp fuse with a 30-amp fuse? I had same issue where my car was running and I was parked in a supermarket parking lot. Car suddenly dies and when I tried to restart, engine wouldn't turn over. After much research, I too found that the 20-amp fuse in the fuse pack was blown. Problem was, even after replacing the fuse, it would blow each time I tried to start the car. I took it to a so-called reputable repair shop and when I picked it up, my car started to overheat. I had replaced all cooling components a few months prior! Well, I had the feeling to check the fuse pack, and I found that the 20amp fuse that kept blowing was replaced with a 30 amp fuse! That fuse gives power to the thermostat, among quite a few components. I'm sure that there was a power surge to the thermostat wiring and the wiring got damaged because of the fuse being too high of an amperage...what do you think?
1cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cynic View Post
I have a question: What can happen if one replaces a 20-amp fuse with a 30-amp fuse? I had same issue where my car was running and I was parked in a supermarket parking lot. Car suddenly dies and when I tried to restart, engine wouldn't turn over. After much research, I too found that the 20-amp fuse in the fuse pack was blown. Problem was, even after replacing the fuse, it would blow each time I tried to start the car. I took it to a so-called reputable repair shop and when I picked it up, my car started to overheat. I had replaced all cooling components a few months prior! Well, I had the feeling to check the fuse pack, and I found that the 20amp fuse that kept blowing was replaced with a 30 amp fuse! That fuse gives power to the thermostat, among quite a few components. I'm sure that there was a power surge to the thermostat wiring and the wiring got damaged because of the fuse being too high of an amperage...what do you think?
That's like putting a band-aid over the real problem at the risk of damaging a component or the wiring itself.

You would have to go through and identify the source of the problem by a process of elimination. The real problem could be any one of the things powered through that fuse. Was the thermostat replaced with an OEM one? Some cheaper thermostats are known to cause electrical faults.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Do not replace the fuse with bigger amperage fuse.
The fuses of those amperage are there for a reason. If there is more than the stated amperage in the circuit, the fuse blows and disconnects the circuit to prevent damage to the connected components. Specially with your car's brain there you don't want any excess current go in there.
Get digging and check for what is causing the fuse to blow. Might be a small electrical connection that is shorting.

Also, people who remove the fuse box in the e-box. It is highly likely that your car will not start after replacing it. You will have to reset the DME adaptations to get it started again.
I know it because I was checking the fuses in the box and after I replaced them back the car didn't start. Scared the **** out of me. After 2 hours of checking and re-checking everything, finally tried resetting the DMA adaptations from PA soft. Started on the first crank.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
E46RFan

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Also, people who remove the fuse box in the e-box. It is highly likely that your car will not start after replacing it. You will have to reset the DME adaptations to get it started again.
I know it because I was checking the fuses in the box and after I replaced them back the car didn't start. Scared the **** out of me. After 2 hours of checking and re-checking everything, finally tried resetting the DMA adaptations from PA soft. Started on the first crank.
How do you reset the DME adaptations? Please kindly explain.
E46RFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46RFan View Post
How do you reset the DME adaptations? Please kindly explain.
Sorry I missed this thread. I used BMW scanner to reset the DME adaptations. I am not sure if removing the battery for sometime create the same effect.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
E46RFan

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Sorry I missed this thread. I used BMW scanner to reset the DME adaptations. I am not sure if removing the battery for sometime create the same effect.
Thanks trj. I don't have the BMW scanner but I've removed and re-install the fuse pack and the car started. Maybe I was lucky or it also depends on what else you do after removing it?
E46RFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #11
moapys

My Ride: 2000 323
Hey guys; our E46 just got drenched, and now several electronics are dead (turn signals, windows, and some other bits): The glove box fuses associated with the issues show power - and I'm about to find my Bentley's - so it sounds like a "body computer" issue, eh?

I'm about to tear into DME and check its fuses, and I have a few questions...
First, will my removing the fuse-pack "reset" any engine mgmt. things...as it starts/runs fine, and don't want to mess that up?
Second, if that does have 'unintended consequences' - are there other links I should be researching?
Finally, and probably the litmus test, my immediate battery removal has the "Disabled" screen, suggesting that the I-bus has issues. :-(

Any guidance appreciated!!
Paul
moapys is offline   Reply With Quote