Help, passenger door won't open - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
chariotdrvr

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Help, passenger door won't open

I have a E46, 2000,328ci, passenger door will not open using either the inner handle or outer handle. The door, does the double lock/unlock with the remote key, and black button plunger goes up and down, normally. I have the inner door panel off and the two nuts that hold the window frame in place, off. I have been going at it for two days. pulled on the inner door handle cable and also worked the lever up to and outer door handle. All are operating properly. I have a inspection camera and cannot see anything wrong or broken inside. Anybody know of any way to make the latch release, with the door unlocked. I have a new actuator on order and should be here in a few days. Can't replace it til I get this door open.
chariotdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:29 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
The actual door pin/latch/whatever that touched the u-shaped bolt on the door frame is probably bad. Tried spraying some wd40 at it?

Last edited by Solidjake; 07-18-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Solidjake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:47 AM   #3
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Hopefully Scottjoh will chime in here. He may have some suggestions/ideas.

My understanding and experience is if the door lock pin/rod has popped up above the door panel the double lock is released and the door is unlocked. The opening the door is typically just using either the inside or outside door handle.

You might have a helper pull on the outside door handle while you kick the door open from the inside in case something is wedged.

I do not know what is in the guts of the latch assembly that may have broken that would keep the latch from releasing. I would search to see if anyone has a picture of a latch assembly cut open for inspection. You may have to get creative buy cutting the latch assembly open while it is installed in the door, not sure how likely this is.

Good luck.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
chariotdrvr

Thank you both very much for your helping answers, solidjake and scottjoh, I had sprayed the latch assembly with grease about a week ago. Sprayed up in there pretty good. Had the wife pull in and out on the outer door handle slowly and then quickly, while I looked at it with the inspection camera on the inside. All the linkage was moving each time. So I will try the, door kick from the inside first, with her pulling the handle from the outside. Then from there, if it doesn't work. I think the drilling and cutting will begin. I thought I would measure down to the latch assembly on the driver's side and how far in from the rear panel for the metal curvature and maybe only have to drill one hole and try to push the latch assembly up and see if it will open that way. Pretty frustrated with it at this point, because this will invole moving the backseat panel out of the way to drill the hole. Argh. Oh gentlemen, I thank you both very much for your helpful responses.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #5
chariotdrvr

I did search you tube and saw a guy with an actuator open to repair it. It was a 5 series though and the drivers side. Hey as far as taking it apart while it is still mounted inside the door. I read where one guy said he broke it off on the inside. It was the only way he could get it to move. But he never gave any details about what he did. Not real sure about breaking it off on the back side though. I suppose all things are possible though. Thank you both again. chariotdrvr.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
This is just a guess, but if there is access and room, is it possible to back out the screw that hold the latch anchor in place? Cutting a slot in the end of the bolt could be a real challenge.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Hopefully Scottjoh will chime in here. He may have some suggestions/ideas.

My understanding and experience is if the door lock pin/rod has popped up above the door panel the double lock is released and the door is unlocked. The opening the door is typically just using either the inside or outside door handle.

You might have a helper pull on the outside door handle while you kick the door open from the inside in case something is wedged.

I do not know what is in the guts of the latch assembly that may have broken that would keep the latch from releasing. I would search to see if anyone has a picture of a latch assembly cut open for inspection. You may have to get creative buy cutting the latch assembly open while it is installed in the door, not sure how likely this is.
I'm chiming in, but, I don't have anything special to add. It sounds like something has internally broken in the latch assembly. The pieces and gears are all plastic (except for the worn gear on the motor shaft) so it's very possible. "steinec" on the forum used an air chisel to destroy the lock actuator and break it into pieces to get the door open. Here is his story http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...0&postcount=15

I do have internal pictures of the latch on my web site www.bmwgm5.com/e46_actuator.htm

Last edited by scottjoh; 07-19-2017 at 06:56 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
chariotdrvr

jmo69- I thought about that last night, haven't attempted it yet. I thought if I could grab onto the latch anchor bolt with a pair of needle nose vise grips, and try to back it out. I see what your driving at by cutting a slot in the end of it. I think it is encased in the plastic cover inside. Probably have to cut thru that first. I have a very fine small metal blade, held with vise grips might give the slot needed to back it out. I just did the kicking of the inside while the wife pulled on the outside. And the holding of both handles open, while banging shoulder on inside. Tried pulling pressure, off door, while pulling inner handle. None of which worked. So my next thought, was to use an angle pry bar on the inside,while pulling the inner,door handle. jmo69 thank you sir, for this suggestion, that will be the next shot after the pry bar. Hey you all by the way this car is garage kept and well taken care of. Alway's get, compliments on " this is a really nice car " or I like your car. Heck and it has on 92,000mi. on it and serviced constantly. Not because it needs it. But because, I know you have to keep them up. I spent alot of time brokedown til I retired from driving 18 wheeler's. So, the part place in AZ, gets alot of business from me. After I got the inside panel off I was able to get the WD40 straw in all over the place on the actuator, 2 days ago and soaked it. Here is a funny one for you, the latch that makes the black lock pin pop up. I worked the remote and locked then did the double unlock. Had my hand on the side of the actuator, holding onto that lever, when I popped it the second time. I figured I would assist it up. And the window started coming down. Oh well, resting a little, maybe get something to eat and try the next items on the list. Thank you, jmo69
Old 07-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #9
chariotdrvr

scottjoh- Thank you, I just got an idea that might work, if I can unplug the actuator and take the side off a bit. Maybe I can, turn those wheels inside with a bent tool to release the latch. Thank you, scottjoh
Old 07-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #10
chariotdrvr

Oh yea scottjoh- Nice dash lights, by the way. I read you were installing them. Nice there Mr. fanatic.lol
Old 07-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #11
chariotdrvr

Hey scottjoh, This might help, I had my hand on the actuator, when I hit the remote unlock. The motor closest to the plug was the first to move and when I hit the remote for the second unlock the motor, father away from the plug activated. chariotdrvr
Old 07-18-2017, 06:35 PM   #12
slickdealer1

My Ride: 2004 330cic
Good luck buddy. I feel for you. Had this happen to me a month ago. There was a thread here somewhere that showed the linkage and a technique to popping it from the outside, but that didn't work for me. I cracked the cover off the actuator and I tried playing with the lock in my hands, but to no avail. I spent maybe 10 hours total trying to get it open, but I gave up and took it to an Indy. He charged me $200.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
slickdealer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #13
slickdealer1

My Ride: 2004 330cic
Here's a link to the thread where he explains how to pop the latch.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1001764

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
slickdealer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #14
chariotdrvr

Slickdealer1-Thank you Sir for the Cavi Mike, thread. I just received the new actuator last night. Can't work on it til tonight, prior obligations. I really, didn't want to do anything more til I had received the new one. Since the actuator in the car is going to be a throw away. I can cut the plastic, with a small dremmel tool, and see inside to see where the gears are positioned at. I hope the paper clip method works. You can see the spring at the bottom of the plastic fan, gear at the bottom. I am sorry I do not have pics. Not really, concerned about all this computer junk. But will, try to post some pics, and explain what I did to get it open. Thank You, again slickdealer1, chariotdrvr.