DYNAVIN N6 Multimedia GPS System, New for 2015 - Page 40 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 261 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #781
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by VpointVick View Post
NaviExtras will tell you if you're up to date or if there's an update, so there's no need to do a long download for nothing.
Yep.

You can also find out your current maps withing iGo. Can't remember how I found it, but it wasn't hard.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #782
edco

My Ride: 2004 325cic 2011 X5
On a related topic I just updated the hard drive based map on my 2011 X5. I got a great deal on the software, but honestly I haven't found a single thing different. It was a fairly long process involving inserting and replacing 4 32MB thumb drives as the system called for them. With that in mind I think I'll take Jeff's advice, though I sincerely appreciate the input from everyone who replied.

UPDATE: So today my wife comes home from work and says the audio from the nav is completely out. We go for a ride, plug in a recent trip with a bunch of turns, and sure enough nothing to alert us to turns. However, the audio is clearly LOWER (radio was on) at those points where you would expect some audio directions. I checked to make sure that the volume was up on the nav, all the correct boxes were checked, and it was taking us the right way, but every time we'd typically be warned to "get into right lane" or "stay left" all we heard was a slight lowering of the volume on the radio. Don't ask me why but for some reason I pressed the Volume Up button on my steering wheel control, suddenly she was back (we switched from male to female voice just in case the guy was tired of talking :-)
I did take out the nav sd card which I will never do again because getting it back in was not easy - crackling sounds like it was pressing against plastic. Anyway, I don't know why it did it, and honestly I don't care, because our speed warnings and audible turn instructions have returned.

Last edited by edco; 07-13-2017 at 12:56 AM.
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #783
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
The volume settings within the nav software can be used to set all the various sound volumes relative to one another.....BUT if you turn the volume knob while the nav is talking you will be able to adjust the overall volume of the nav.....so it sounds like you accidentally turned the volume all the way down on the nav voice, and then later when you hit the steering wheel button you turned it back up.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:28 PM   #784
edco

Hi Jeff
Actually no. I had maxed out all the sounds alerts pings when I was getting no nav audio. I think(and I am clearly not technically astute on this topic) that the steering wheel audio control at least as it is set up on my car serves as a master volume control. I barely tapped it UP a bit when the nav audio was blasting. Could be just one of those things but I tested it several times. My steering wheel volume control affects all the sounds from the unit ie, the radio, bluetooth, Cd but affects the nav differently. No complaints now that I know how to make it work ed

Last edited by edco; 07-17-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #785
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
When the nav is active the steering wheel volume controls affect only the nav volume. You can totally end up turning the nav directions all the way down without realizing it.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:20 PM   #786
edco

Vick
I politely disagree. I just drove my car with my Bluetooth connected to my iphone to the Dynavin. I also had the nav on just to test what I think you stated "when the nav is active the steering wheel controls only affect the nav volume".
My steering wheel controlled my sound volume from my Bluetooth connected iphone as well as the Nav volume.

Therefore I disagree. I haven't tested making/taking a phone call with my iPhone 6S+ connected to the dynavin with the nav on, but will do when I can.

ed

PS. Charlotte is a great city.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #787
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
When the nav is active the steering wheel volume controls affect only the nav volume. You can totally end up turning the nav directions all the way down without realizing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edco View Post
Vick
I politely disagree. I just drove my car with my Bluetooth connected to my iphone to the Dynavin. I also had the nav on just to test what I think you stated "when the nav is active the steering wheel controls only affect the nav volume".
My steering wheel controlled my sound volume from my Bluetooth connected iphone as well as the Nav volume.

Therefore I disagree. I haven't tested making/taking a phone call with my iPhone 6S+ connected to the dynavin with the nav on, but will do when I can.

ed

PS. Charlotte is a great city.
Vick and Jeff are right. I've done it. It's when the vocals of the nav are active.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:09 AM   #788
edco

Let's put this to bed. I only posted my experience in the hopes of helping someone else, not to get into a debate of who's right and who's wrong. I can only share my personal experiences and my discoveries and work arounds.
Thanks to all who contributed to the thread but I think it's time to mark it CLOSED.
Ed in NJ

Last edited by edco; 07-18-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:11 AM   #789
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by edco View Post
Let's put this to bed. I only posted my experience in the hopes of helping someone else, not to get into a debate of who's right and who's wrong. I can only share my personal experiences and my discoveries and work arounds.
Thanks to all who contributed to the thread but I think it's time to mark it CLOSED.
Ed in NJ
Take off your frilly panties and stop acting like a little girl.

You posted information that is dead wrong. While it might surprise some, people actually DO use the search feature. Wrong information needs to be corrected so people are not misled in the future.. This is not just about solving YOUR problem, but solving it for others who may come along later.

[edit] So you're right, it's not about who is right and who is wrong. It's about getting correct info out there.

Last edited by Geo31; 07-18-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:27 AM   #790
VpointVick

Yeah, Geo is getting what I'm saying and it seems that you're missing it entirely. It's not just when the nav is on that the steering wheel controls control the nav volume, it's when the nav voice is actively giving direction that you can end up accidentally turning the volume all the way down on it. Give it a try, wait until you get the dip in volume of whatever media you've got playing and then use the volume up button - your nav voice will get louder.

Do you really imagine that out of all the Dynavins made that yours is programmed differently in this one regard?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #791
edco

Nope
And I gave you MY experiences
I even did a test drive to prove i was right and there is no need to insult me "kid".
I've had more experience in my 63 years around aurtos and electronics that I don't need to hear any schooling from anyone.
Jeff suggested that the volume on the nav was low
That was not the caseI experiences
Vik stated that the steering wheel controls only work the nav while it is engaged. I did a road test to prove (if only to myself since I didn't take a video as proof. Most people I know take people at their word, and unless we're in court where I can quote chapter and verse from experience"
So why doesn't someone else try using their nav, posting proof instead of words, or go find something else to do.
But for the record I did not post incorrect information. I posted how it works in my E46.

Respectfully I've owned BMW since before most people that post here were born. Throughout all that time I have done my share of mods without a single problem - mostly for convenience not to make it look differently.

So I find that responding rudeness and personal attacks do not bother me. Why this is happening on MY car I will concur is a bit of a mystery and creates no negative comments about Dynavin, Jeff or anyone else.

But don't tell me what I can see with my eyes and hear with my ears, or and before you make some old age disparassing comment, my 26 year old son was with me when I did my test.

Go away please.

Thank you
Ed in NJ
Old 07-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #792
VpointVick

I honestly don't even know what we're arguing anymore. I don't think that you're being particularly clear with your posts and that might have something to do with the misunderstanding that we have going on.

<---49yo for whatever that's worth. No idea why age became a factor in this discussion. kid.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:28 PM   #793
Geo31
Ironman

Ed, I'm not exactly sure what to say here. People have been trying to help you. I think there is some mis-understanding here, but your responses have been rather petulant IMHO. I honestly thought you were either a teenager or in your early 20s. You may not like this statement, but it's how I see it from my keyboard. I'm not a kid either (56).

We've both been here a LONG time. I'm only writing now because of your long-term status here. Not many of us have been here as long or longer.

Anyway, I think either you are misunderstanding what Vick, and Jeff, and I have been saying, or we you. But... Based upon what I've read, you haven't tried what either Vick or Jeff suggested and, in fact, it's the same advice I was going to give.

All of us in this thread are, uh, seasoned adults. Let's try to bring the tone down a bit and try to understand one another and perhaps we can get this worked out for you. Honestly, from what I've read in your posts, Jeff and Vick's advice should work.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #794
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
So...arguments aside...for future readers of this thread the best way to initially set up the nav volume is the following:

Go to the iGo menus, set the master volume to max (it will default to max), set the individual volumes for voice and other sounds to about 20% or lower (or off if you choose).

THEN go to the menu where you choose the voice and nationality, select one of the "people" and the nav speak for a few seconds.

WHILE its speaking turn the volume knob. Note that the volume slider is now green instead of red. You are now adjusting the volume of JUST the nav, your media volume remains unchanged.

If you find that the volume adjustment with the knob is too abrupt/ramps up too quickly, go back in to the iGo menu and lower the volume controls to below 20% and repeat, if the volume is too low, do the opposite.

The goal here is get the nav software to output at a level that interfaces with the Dynavin and your car's particular hardware nicely, and gives you a useful, easy to use volume range.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 07-18-2017 at 01:42 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #795
edco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Ed, I'm not exactly sure what to say here. People have been trying to help you. I think there is some mis-understanding here, but your responses have been rather petulant IMHO. I honestly thought you were either a teenager or in your early 20s. You may not like this statement, but it's how I see it from my keyboard. I'm not a kid either (56).

We've both been here a LONG time. I'm only writing now because of your long-term status here. Not many of us have been here as long or longer.

Anyway, I think either you are misunderstanding what Vick, and Jeff, and I have been saying, or we you. But... Based upon what I've read, you haven't tried what either Vick or Jeff suggested and, in fact, it's the same advice I was going to give.

All of us in this thread are, uh, seasoned adults. Let's try to bring the tone down a bit and try to understand one another and perhaps we can get this worked out for you. Honestly, from what I've read in your posts, Jeff and Vick's advice should work.
You may be right. I'm a busy person and initiated this discussion with Jeff because first we lost Speed Notification which if you read back he attributed to maybe they aren't on the maps. Subsequently we lost turn-by-turn instructions.

I didn't much care for the frilly panties comment which I associate with overhearing my children. This caused me to assume, perhaps abruptly, that I was dealing with a "kid". There are lots on here I have helped over the many years I have been a member of this board and several others.

Then there was the statement that the steering wheel controls only. REPEAT ONLY, the Nav when it is engaged. So today I made a short video to prove that that statement is purely incorrect. I'm with a client between sessions, but I will post a less than one minute video of me driving with the radio AND THE NAV on at the same time and the you can see the nav route, hear the Nav audio AND hear my radio volume go up and down simulatenously.

But start from the beginning my friend. The FIRST reply was "maps for your area may not be in the map database". These kinds of answers annoy me because the implication is either I imagined it worked before or I haven't taken the time to investigate all the settings available. Call me thin skinnned but don't insult me. The answer still eludes me. One day ot worked, the next day it didn't, now it's working again - my staff calls those kinds of things "FM" for F'ing Magic. When I have time I will post my evidence so maybe it will come across more clearly. If you knew what I have done successfully for over 40 years my ability to communicate effectively would not come into question.

However, thank you for your feedback, whether I like it or not is irrelevant.

Last edited by edco; 07-18-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #796
Geo31
Ironman

Hey Ed, as I suspected, it's all miscommunication. Sorry for the jab.

The N6 is a great unit and the community supporting it is outstanding, starting with Jeff. We probably all need to step back just a bit sometimes. And I have to admit, my life is chaotic and has been for the last 3 years (hopefully the chaos will be ending soon).

So, I'm going to take a step back here. Try what Jeff posted and report back. I'm sure we can get your unit sorted out. BTW, I've experienced exactly what you have and by accident stumbled upon the fact that if I adjust the volume while the nav is speaking to me I can get it back. It was bloody frustrating for a while and I still don't know how/when I turned the nav down.

Now, just for fun, a new splash screen. I tried for a long time to find this image in a large enough size to work with no joy. Then suddenly I stumbled upon one.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:08 AM   #797
edco

[URL="

I apologize for the video quality but didn't want to end up with a ticket for using my phone while driving.
1) Nav is ON with a destination
2) Volume is controlled for both the radio and the Nav

Therefore, I stand on my earlier statement that the Nav does not control the steering wheel audio button when it's activated. You can hear the sound of the radio going up and down while the Nav stays the same.

So lets go WAY back to the beginning before the insults and alleged misunderstandings.
When I began the post, I stated to Jeff (who is a rare credit to this board for all his help), I lost the speed alert. He replied maybe the roads are not on the map (A reasonable response in some parts of the country but not in Central NJ where signs are posted up and down every road). Then I came back and said, "Now we've lost the Nav audio" We could hear the volume on the radio drop as if "she" was about to say "Stay Left".
By shear accident, I tapped the steering control volume UP. (Note I had already checked the settings and even went so far as to remove the iGo SD card to ensure it had not gotten unseated) and I mean a light tap, and suddenly the speed and Nav audio started working.
I still don't know why this happened. I think that it's a reasonable question to ask on a board like this.
Instead I got a boatload of insults and did you check this, and the Nav does that, and frankly a lot of baloney.
So here's my final post since I thought I had closed this before the Frilly Panties comment.
All the settings are EXACTLY as they were before
No parts were changed
One and I do mean gentle tap on the volume up on the steering wheel volume control brought everything back.
PLEASE no more feedback. I have too much work to do to rehash this again and again.
I wish you all peace. And it's always nice to be nice - even to strangers you may never meet.
PLEASE NO MORE FEEDBACK!!!!
Thank you again
ed in NJ
Old 07-19-2017, 06:36 AM   #798
VpointVick

I know that you said that you didn't want any more feedback, but I think that you may have to take some ownership in that regard and choose not to post anymore or perhaps add me to your ignore list.

It's behaving exactly as we were trying to explain. The volume buttons do control media volume when the nav is active except when it's giving voice direction, then the volume buttons control the level of the voice direction. I believe that you said that you'd maxed out all of the volume levels in iGo, but if the level had gotten cut by the Dynavin then you wouldn't have been hearing voice direction, then when you do make a volume adjustment, as in your video, while voice direction is being given (you can see the volume bar come up at the top of the screen showing that it's fully off) just one click goes from nothing to blasting because the source level is set so high in iGo settings.

I don't care if you listen to this, and suspect that you won't, I don't even care whether or not you get your stuff working as it should, only that someone later down the road looking for advice on this topic doesn't find this section of this thread and get all mixed up over it. Do as Jeff described above with the settings in iGo, then adjust voice control volume level somewhere in the middle range on the hardware end so that you end up with a reasonable level of adjustment and not nothing>one button push>blasting.

No one has tried to do anything other than help you here.

Last edited by VpointVick; 07-19-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #799
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
I know that you said that you didn't want any more feedback, but I think that you may have to take some ownership in that regard and choose not to post anymore or perhaps add me to your ignore list.

It's behaving exactly as we were trying to explain. The volume buttons do control media volume when the nav is active except when it's giving voice direction, then the volume buttons control the level of the voice direction. I believe that you said that you'd maxed out all of the volume levels in iGo, but if the level had gotten cut by the Dynavin then you wouldn't have been hearing voice direction, then when you do make a volume adjustment, as in your video, while voice direction is being given (you can see the volume bar come up at the top of the screen showing that it's fully off) just one click goes from nothing to blasting because the source level is set so high in iGo settings.

I don't care if you listen to this, and suspect that you won't, I don't even care whether or not you get your stuff working as it should, only that someone later down the road looking for advice on this topic doesn't find this section of this thread and get all mixed up over it. Do as Jeff described above with the settings in iGo, then adjust voice control volume level somewhere in the middle range on the hardware end so that you end up with a reasonable level of adjustment and not nothing>one button push>blasting.

No one has tried to do anything other than help you here.
Yep.

Ironically, the same thing happened to me yesterday. I have NO idea how the nav volume got turned down, but it did. I just waited for the media volume to drop, upped the volume using the steering wheel controls (confirmed by a green volume line) and viola! I had sound for my directions. I just laughed.

As for not having the speed limits in the iGo Primo....

I have the latest maps and still some roads just don't have the limits, and worse, some are wrong. One can tilt at windmills or just do what must be done and on to the next thing.