Thread: small/simple/dumb questions - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2016, 07:37 PM   #61
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
Here's an actually useful tip: don't use the forum search.

It is fifteen year old tech and useless.

Go to google and type:

Site:e46fanatics.com floor jack recommend

Or whatever your question.
There's that too. But you have the ability to search sub-forums and thread topics. That will help narrow down your search quicker, many times. Either way, searching is good.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:10 PM   #62
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingon300k View Post
DO NOT GO UNDER YOUR CAR WITH THE JACK SUPPORTING IT.
Use jack stands. You are never supposed to go under a car while it's supported by the jack. You're correct to be scared.
Sorry, wasn't clear. I don't feel safe getting my car in the air to put it on the jack stands, which I do trust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I know you're new and you seem pretty cool so I'll cut you some slack.
But I'll say this to you and all people who are here from 2015/2016:

Every topic/question you could ever think has already been discussed on E46Fanatics.....

Here's your jack topic thread we had a couple years back:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=jacks
Actually I've been here for a almost 1.5years I think you've just started noticing me I haven't searched because I've been learning a lot and answering a lot of my own questions. When I joined, I didn't know anything about cars beyond crankshaft, spark, and gas. I've come a long way
Quote:
I love these:
Torin T43004 Aluminum Jack Stands - 3 Ton, 1 pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007XTGCI..._60qSxbHYGGMB7
Not the cheapest, but strong and stable and easy to clean.
I have these jack stands. It's just the jack itself I don't trust, unless someone can give me a good reason to not like my jack stands.
Quote:
Here's an actually useful tip: don't use the forum search.
It is fifteen year old tech and useless.
Go to google and type:
Site:e46fanatics.com floor jack recommend
Way better than the built in search, thanks! That's also why I (and others) typically don't search. The data and products mentioned and prices and relevance has all changed
Old 08-15-2016, 12:28 AM   #63
bobnagga

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot View Post
If you warn them once and ban them after the 2nd infraction, it cuts down on a lot of that...
Why? Like, are you all so jaded that a new owner that loves his/her car with questions and enthusiasm and a gung ho attitude are an inconvenience? Like, are you all like "Dude, Google is your friend," in real life?

I mean, I can talk cars and engines with someone all day. Especially if it's about my 323, which I love. Do you not have at least a similar sort of outlook about your own beloved BMW? I mean, why else would you even be here?

Honestly, it kind of saddens me to even see this sort of attitude. Like, what is there to even complain about? Sure, ban people, and pretty soon this place is going to be a ghost town.

I bet there are even people who sign up to ask one single question and then they're never heard from again, right? Is that so horrible?

Sure, people are asking the same stuff over and over again, but guess what? The site is alive with an active user base.

And how many new people such as myself are going to come in and read this stuff and be all like, "Great, I'm an a**hole for wanting to ask a question."

Honestly, I thought this would be a great place to come and share my project and kick around some help and get some help. Can I share a secret? I know how to use a search function. That's how I found this site. Guess what though? I don't care. I want to deal with PEOPLE that share the same interests as me. If I wanted to use a robot, I wouldn't have signed up. Google works better anyway.
bobnagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:32 AM   #64
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnagga View Post
Why? Like, are you all so jaded that a new owner that loves his/her car with questions and enthusiasm and a gung ho attitude are an inconvenience? Like, are you all like "Dude, Google is your friend," in real life?

I mean, I can talk cars and engines with someone all day. Especially if it's about my 323, which I love. Do you not have at least a similar sort of outlook about your own beloved BMW? I mean, why else would you even be here?

Honestly, it kind of saddens me to even see this sort of attitude. Like, what is there to even complain about? Sure, ban people, and pretty soon this place is going to be a ghost town.

I bet there are even people who sign up to ask one single question and then they're never heard from again, right? Is that so horrible?

Sure, people are asking the same stuff over and over again, but guess what? The site is alive with an active user base.

And how many new people such as myself are going to come in and read this stuff and be all like, "Great, I'm an a**hole for wanting to ask a question."

Honestly, I thought this would be a great place to come and share my project and kick around some help and get some help. Can I share a secret? I know how to use a search function. That's how I found this site. Guess what though? I don't care. I want to deal with PEOPLE that share the same interests as me. If I wanted to use a robot, I wouldn't have signed up. Google works better anyway.
You obviously haven't been on many car forums. They're equally great and terrible.

It's also just the nature of the internet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online...ibition_effect

Try to ignore the a**holes.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:52 AM   #65
lingon300k

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Sorry, wasn't clear. I don't feel safe getting my car in the air to put it on the jack stands, which I do trust!
No problem. It always scares me when I hear someone saying that they're getting under car with just the jack supporting it.

I usually jack the car up, with a piece of wood between the jack and the car, from either the front of the subframe, or under the differential carrier. Then I put the jack stands under the jack pads and slowly lower the car. If I don't need to get under the car where the jack is, I pump it up once more while making sure there's enough weight on the stands that they won't budge. That way I have the extra safety of the jack, in addition to the stands.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:25 AM   #66
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingon300k View Post
No problem. It always scares me when I hear someone saying that they're getting under car with just the jack supporting it.

I usually jack the car up, with a piece of wood between the jack and the car, from either the front of the subframe, or under the differential carrier. Then I put the jack stands under the jack pads and slowly lower the car. If I don't need to get under the car where the jack is, I pump it up once more while making sure there's enough weight on the stands that they won't budge. That way I have the extra safety of the jack, in addition to the stands.
Exactly what I was taught. I keep going to home Depot for a piece of wood for on top of my car jack, but then they say I should'nt and I feel stupid and leave
Because I didn't have wood, I slightly bent my rear subframe. It's caved in a wee bit
Old 08-15-2016, 05:12 AM   #67
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
A few pieces of cardboard will suffice as well. You just need something as a pad.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #68
Mango
e46mango.com

Quote:

Actually I've been here for a almost 1.5years I think you've just started noticing me I haven't searched because I've been learning a lot and answering a lot of my own questions. When I joined, I didn't know anything about cars beyond crankshaft, spark, and gas. I've come a long way
No worries. It's great you've learned a lot! This cycle repeats itself though. We have new members who ask the most common questions, old timers (sometimes mods included) say search! Then those new members after a few years start joining the crowd that says "Search!" It's part of the natural cycle.

It's hard to remember everyone because there's just so many people. But usually good quality photo sigs help me remember those

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnagga View Post
Can I share a secret? I know how to use a search function. That's how I found this site. Guess what though? I don't care.
OK
Old 08-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #69
Mango
e46mango.com

Quote:
Exactly what I was taught. I keep going to home Depot for a piece of wood for on top of my car jack, but then they say I should'nt and I feel stupid and leave
Because I didn't have wood, I slightly bent my rear subframe. It's caved in a wee bit
If you want to do something, do something. Never tell some monkey at home depot, autozone, etc. what you want to do with the custom piece/part you want to buy. Just tell them what you need and buy it. I've learned this in my time working on cars.

"Hi do you have _____?"

"Uh.. what do you need it for?"

"Do you have _____? "
Old 08-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #70
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
A few pieces of cardboard will suffice as well. You just need something as a pad.
Buy two of these. Perfect shape for the jack points and cheaper than wood!

A&R Sports Classic Ice Hockey Puck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BPHES8W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wnDSxbMTMHEJY
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #71
alex9452

My Ride: 04 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex9452 View Post
I was just driving my car and everything was fine. Then I get to work put the E brake on and kept it idle while I ran in to do something no more than 5 mins. So I go back to my car put the E brake down and start driving. It felt like there was a twisting near my rear axel. Then I put it in reverse and it was gone and I was able to drive again. Now my question is, can that be the E brake not disengaging or can that be something worse?

Found out what it was. It's the Ebrakes springs and all that stuff going out on me.
alex9452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:32 PM   #72
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
No worries. It's great you've learned a lot! This cycle repeats itself though. We have new members who ask the most common questions, old timers (sometimes mods included) say search! Then those new members after a few years start joining the crowd that says "Search!" It's part of the natural cycle.

It's hard to remember everyone because there's just so many people. But usually good quality photo sigs help me remember those
Thanks, learning more with every night I stay up past 1AM on the forums, just sucking it all in. I'll be changing it soon but the quality standards will be high Photography is my passion so they need to be as good as any work I'd present to a client

Quote:
Buy two of these. Perfect shape for the jack points and cheaper than wood!

A&R Sports Classic Ice Hockey Puck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BPHES8W..._wnDSxbMTMHEJY
Definitely buying those!
Old 08-16-2016, 09:36 AM   #73
wallaby13

My Ride: 330i 5MT
Quote:
Thanks, learning more with every night I stay up past 1AM on the forums, just sucking it all in. I'll be changing it soon but the quality standards will be high Photography is my passion so they need to be as good as any work I'd present to a client

Definitely buying those!
you could also just ask for the scrap pieces they have at HD or Lowes.
wallaby13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #74
05SMG

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZSP
Now that the E46 is getting up there in age, other than normal wear items, what might be the next level of components that we can expect to see failing?
05SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #75
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SMG View Post
Now that the E46 is getting up there in age, other than normal wear items, what might be the next level of components that we can expect to see failing?
Will be interested to see if dashes commonly start cracking/warping or certain interior plastics start degrading in the next few years.

At least we don't have to worry about warped door panel inserts a la early E34...

Current: '02 330i/5 '10 Mazda5 '72 240Z
Past: '85 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #76
orb

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Will be interested to see if dashes commonly start cracking/warping or certain interior plastics start degrading in the next few years.

At least we don't have to worry about warped door panel inserts a la early E34...
The E46 is already old, the first ones were made nearly 20 years ago now. I doubt we'll see anything we haven't already. Materials quality had improved since earlier BMWs.

Haven't seen any problems with dashboards, and I don't think we will. Any interior plastics that would degrade already have. Pillars sag, the console pieces melt, etc.

Last edited by orb; 08-16-2016 at 11:06 AM.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #77
Mango
e46mango.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
The E46 is already old, the first ones were made nearly 20 years ago now. I doubt we'll see anything we haven't already. Materials quality had improved since earlier BMWs.

Haven't seen any problems with dashboards, and I don't think we will. Any interior plastics that would degrade already have. Pillars sag, the console pieces melt, etc.
Yep! Our E46 history has already been locked and set in stone---10 years ago. Where were you 10 years ago?

My main concern would be 01+ subframes as people continue to clutch kick their aging, rusting cars with solid bushings and stuffed animals hanging at the rear at drift events. A lot of people are saying E46s are becoming "the new 240"

wrecked one by one by kids at drift events
Old 08-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #78
lingon300k

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
You're right. I doubt we will. Looking online, I wasn't able to find any examples of this. It would be happening on a few cars, at least. Someone in New Mexico or southern Texas would have posted about it by now.

Last edited by lingon300k; 08-16-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #79
Mango
e46mango.com

And sorry by *You* i didn't mean *You,* ORB. I meant the readers in general, particularly the one you were responding to
Old 08-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #80
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
I feel like the biggest headache will be when the electrics start to show their age :/

>IN SEARCH OF GRAY SEDAN SPORT SEATS<
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combined, common, simple, thread, unorganized