New Tires - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
Arrival

My Ride: BMW 2001 330i
New Tires

Hey guys, I'm going to be getting new tires and I have a question regarding tire size. I have a 2001 330i. The current fronts are 225/45/17 and the rears are 245/40/17. I'm going to be getting the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06, which as an all season tire is recommended 205/50/17 on all 4 wheels. I'm just wondering if there's going to be an issue here with the difference in size in relation to my rims or anything else?
Arrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
Don't get all season. These are too narrow for summer driving plus you'll need snow tires if you're gonna drive it in Winter round here.

Get a 225/45/17 square setup if you're getting away from the staggered setup. I've used Hankooks on a couple e46's that were moderately priced. Find a used set of OE rims and put winter rubber on those. Just my 2 cents. Tire threads are like oil threads - everyone has an opinion.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Arrival

I'm not concerned about summer driving or dry grip. There's a reason I'm going with all-seasons. I live in Canada and all 4 seasons can happen here whenever the weather wants. I appreciate the input however. I was just wondering if going with the same size on all 4 tires will affect anything except the ability to actually rotate them unlike the staggered setup as you referred to it.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
It won't make a difference because your rear wheels are wider than your fronts by default. It's like 17x7.5 vs 17x8.5 so your rear tires would be stretched, you can't swap them to the front, and the only way to swap to different side (left to right) is to get uni directional tires (tire goes both ways.. Idk if that exists or maybe hard to find for all seasons)

Best bet is buy your normal size and wear them out and repeat or get square wheels so you don't have to deal with staggered wheels anymore

WTB:: Natural Brown Sedan Full Interior
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
shoman24v

My Ride: 2002 330i 1999 328is
You need to purchase staggered tires for your rims or find a square set of wheels and put new tires on those.

Sent from my Pixel XL using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 06-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
If you want square - get 2 front wheels and put on tires 225/45/17 on all 4 wheels. I had DWSs on my '01 330i and used the correct sizes for the wheels 225 and 245 etc... A square set up will give more neutral handling since having larger tires in back causes the car to have more understeer - front end plows. It is generally safer to have the car to have more understeer than oversteer (backend comes around).

In general everyday driving - will not be notice a difference unless you drive it like you stole it...
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
Silverdogz

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Personally I rather like the DWS 06 on my car. Only complaint is that a stiffer sidewall would be nice
Old 06-26-2017, 12:42 PM   #8
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrival View Post
I'm not concerned about summer driving or dry grip. There's a reason I'm going with all-seasons. I live in Canada and all 4 seasons can happen here whenever the weather wants. I appreciate the input however. I was just wondering if going with the same size on all 4 tires will affect anything except the ability to actually rotate them unlike the staggered setup as you referred to it.
Completely agree with above bolded statement.

http://www.sailuntires.ca/plt/passen...uck-tires.html

I'm currently running the Z4+AS all-seasons, and they're as good as my old Continental ExtremeContact DWS'

Cost me under $400 CAD for a set of 235/40/18.
Your size will be even cheaper.

You could go with their Touring LS option for a more conservative and longer lasting tread.
I was completely against anything besides top tier tires before trying these out.

They are amazing.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #9
Arrival

Decided to continue with the staggered setup as I don't have any old rims and don't want to buy used or new ones. Simply not in the budget right now. The rear tires 245/40/17 alone came close to 500 CAD$ but that's with balancing and all that stuff. Which is fair, I believe the last time I looked on TireRack it was an estimate of 144 USD$ per tire for the 245/40/17 for the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. Which comes out to 190 CAD$.

I actually just ordered the rear ones as the ones I have right now are completely shot. I'm going to hold off on the fronts for a little bit since the front ones are okay on tread even though they are a different tire. Same brand though. Which is another question in itself. My tire tread on the rears in the centre is almost completely non-existent at the moment, whereas the tire tread increases as it goes outwards towards the sidewalls. I understand that's from over inflation. I've ran them at 34, 36 and I think for a very short time at 38psi. My question for the new upcoming tires is, at what pressure do I keep them, especially since it's summer now so I don't end up having the same problem again. Last time I inflated the old ones was during the winter season and left them at 34psi. I checked them yesterday on a hot day and they were both at 37.5psi so I let them back at 34psi. At what tire pressure do I keep the new ones. I get that I can follow the directions on the door sill plate but we all know that as you start going the tire gets hotter and pressure increases. At what pressure do I keep the new tires, both the fronts and the rears during the different seasons. I don't carry anything in the car. Usually it's just me and 1 passenger on occasion.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
That is.. a lot of money for what you get.
If you're spending $500 on two rear 17" tires, you might as well go to Costco.

At least with them you get decent support / warranty, proper balancing, and road hazard protection.
They also fill them with Nitrogen, which won't affect your tire pressure based on temperature.

32 to 35 PSI is the norm you should be running IMO.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #11
Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlame View Post
Completely agree with above bolded statement.

http://www.sailuntires.ca/plt/passen...uck-tires.html

I'm currently running the Z4+AS all-seasons, and they're as good as my old Continental ExtremeContact DWS'

Cost me under $400 CAD for a set of 235/40/18.
Your size will be even cheaper.

You could go with their Touring LS option for a more conservative and longer lasting tread.
I was completely against anything besides top tier tires before trying these out.

They are amazing.

I think I made a slight mistake by rushing in. I've heard nothing but good about the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 so I made my choice and went with those. Simply because in the past my father went with a brand that was not very well known at the time for his car and then later he bought Michelins and never went back and I drove the car too at the time and I could tell there was a large margin of quality. I looked into the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 but those are even more expensive and from what I've read on this forum from other Continental ExtremeContact DWS users they have all been happy from them. I will definitely keep in mind the tires you showed me though. I personally have never heard of the ones on the website but just because I haven't heard of the brand or it's not as popular doesn't mean they are average tires by any means.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
EthirD

My Ride: '02 325iT, '07 X5
The DWS is a fantastic all-season. I ran them on my ZHP and they were perfect for my "sporty daily driving" needs. For those of us who live in places with unpredictable weather, pure summer tires just aren't an option even with a second set of winter wheels. I have a set of Blizzaks for winter time and still run "ultra high performance all-seasons" as described by tire rack. Honestly, the performance all-seasons available these days are so good I don't miss summer tires, and I don't have anxiety about driving when we get a late-may snowstorm after I've had my summer wheels re-mounted for three weeks already.

I am aware that all seasons will never be as good as summer tires in ideal conditions. I drive to work, to Home Depot and to go fishing. A performance all-season is magnificent for my needs.

BMW CCA Member #480924
EthirD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #13
Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlame View Post
That is.. a lot of money for what you get.
If you're spending $500 on two rear 17" tires, you might as well go to Costco.

At least with them you get decent support / warranty, proper balancing, and road hazard protection.
They also fill them with Nitrogen, which won't affect your tire pressure based on temperature.

32 to 35 PSI is the norm you should be running IMO.

I'm looking into the Costco website right now and I was aware that they could do that. Where I am at least, they only sell Michelins or Bridgestone. Michelins Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are 188 CAD$ for the 2 rear tires and about the same price for the front ones too. Total comes up, close to 900$ for the entire 4 wheels, installation fees and all that stuff. I already made a deposit on the rear tires so I'm not sure if I can go back on that. I've read mixed things about Nitrogen but I'm pretty sure I can get the shop I bought the Continentals to fill them with Nitrogen. If it will prevent temperature fluctuations I am okay with that. I have to read up more on Nitrogen and tires though. Not sure what happens if a Nitrogen tire starts leaking. Nitrogen as an inert gas displaces oxygen.

Last edited by Arrival; 06-26-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #14
Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthirD View Post
The DWS is a fantastic all-season. I ran them on my ZHP and they were perfect for my "sporty daily driving" needs. For those of us who live in places with unpredictable weather, pure summer tires just aren't an option even with a second set of winter wheels. I have a set of Blizzaks for winter time and still run "ultra high performance all-seasons" as described by tire rack. Honestly, the performance all-seasons available these days are so good I don't miss summer tires, and I don't have anxiety about driving when we get a late-may snowstorm after I've had my summer wheels re-mounted for three weeks already.

I am aware that all seasons will never be as good as summer tires in ideal conditions. I drive to work, to Home Depot and to go fishing. A performance all-season is magnificent for my needs.
I just drive to work and back and do some commuting, mainly highway miles or kilometres. I don't do sporty driving. My family used to own an old 2001 Dodge Caravan and I learned that if you treat tires and treat the car right, the components will also do the same from driving that Van. I want to get the car to where it will be a reliable daily driver for now. There's other things I want to fix prior to doing any canyon or windy road driving.

Last edited by Arrival; 06-26-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #15
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
I have 20" Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 on my X5 and love them. 315 rear and 275 front. I will definitely be buying another set.

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #16
Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
I have 20" Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 on my X5 and love them. 315 rear and 275 front. I will definitely be buying another set.
Thank you for the reassurance. I was beginning to feel like I spent too much but whether I went with Michelins or Continentals I would be spending about the same amount. I've read reviews and seen videos with absolutely no bad reviews on the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 so I went with them.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #17
EthirD

My Ride: '02 325iT, '07 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
They really are great tires. Lots of grip in all kinds of weather.

I have Firestone Destination LE2s on my E70, which I like for that car. Seem to perform well enough for what I need from an X5, and they are wearing nice and slowly so the tread life should be pretty good.

BMW CCA Member #480924
EthirD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:34 PM   #18
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Thank you for the reassurance. I was beginning to feel like I spent too much but whether I went with Michelins or Continentals I would be spending about the same amount. I've read reviews and seen videos with absolutely no bad reviews on the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 so I went with them.
I found the Conti DWS $100 cheaper each than the Michelin PS. At least in the 20" range. $300 Conti vs. $400 Michelin.

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #19
wallaby13

My Ride: 330i 5MT
Quote:
Decided to continue with the staggered setup as I don't have any old rims and don't want to buy used or new ones. Simply not in the budget right now. The rear tires 245/40/17 alone came close to 500 CAD$ but that's with balancing and all that stuff. Which is fair, I believe the last time I looked on TireRack it was an estimate of 144 USD$ per tire for the 245/40/17 for the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. Which comes out to 190 CAD$.

I actually just ordered the rear ones as the ones I have right now are completely shot. I'm going to hold off on the fronts for a little bit since the front ones are okay on tread even though they are a different tire. Same brand though. Which is another question in itself. My tire tread on the rears in the centre is almost completely non-existent at the moment, whereas the tire tread increases as it goes outwards towards the sidewalls. I understand that's from over inflation. I've ran them at 34, 36 and I think for a very short time at 38psi. My question for the new upcoming tires is, at what pressure do I keep them, especially since it's summer now so I don't end up having the same problem again. Last time I inflated the old ones was during the winter season and left them at 34psi. I checked them yesterday on a hot day and they were both at 37.5psi so I let them back at 34psi. At what tire pressure do I keep the new ones. I get that I can follow the directions on the door sill plate but we all know that as you start going the tire gets hotter and pressure increases. At what pressure do I keep the new tires, both the fronts and the rears during the different seasons. I don't carry anything in the car. Usually it's just me and 1 passenger on occasion.
The Conti's are ~$150 usd for all 4. However if Discount Tire Direct has multiple sales a year and they can be had with $160 back in rebates now. If you get lucky sometimes there will be manufacture rebates to bring it lower.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #20
Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaby13 View Post
The Conti's are ~$150 usd for all 4. However if Discount Tire Direct has multiple sales a year and they can be had with $160 back in rebates now. If you get lucky sometimes there will be manufacture rebates to bring it lower.
For all 4? Or did you mean per tire?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RatingsReviews