Low end power problem - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
Starvega

My Ride: 323i
Low end power problem

My 323 is down on power after replacing the head gasket. It runs and idles smooth a quiet but under 3000rpm it just doesn't have the power it used to, and it has a throaty intake sound. The are no stored codes and I've checked everything over many times and i just can't find anything wrong. The only hint i have is a pending p1520 code but it won't store it and it clears every time i shut the car off. I took the exhaust vanos solenoid off and cleaned it, the piston, and inside the vanos unit where it goes. I didn't see even a spec of dirt in there but i figured it was worth a try. No change. Cam position sensor is less than a year old, but the code is for the "actuator" anyway.
The only thing i can think of is maybe i messed up when i set the vanos upon reassembly? Would it be this noticeable if it was off by a little bit?
Starvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
I think either DISA or vanos.
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Starvega

I rebuilt the vanos around January this year. The disa looked fine visually and doesn't make any noise. I haven't tested it though
Old 07-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
Starvega

With the exhaust vanos solenoid unplugged, low end power seems to be back to normal. I didn't have time to drive it that much but it was good for the 10 minutes i did drive it. I'd rather have the cel on for a disconnected solenoid than have the power loss problem.
Still curious what would cause this? I might have to take the vanos back off and set the plungers again, i cant think of anything else it could be other than that i didn't set it right.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #5
Delineation

My Ride: JapanRot 05 325i
Bump

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 07-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
armenh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starvega View Post
With the exhaust vanos solenoid unplugged, low end power seems to be back to normal. I didn't have time to drive it that much but it was good for the 10 minutes i did drive it. I'd rather have the cel on for a disconnected solenoid than have the power loss problem.
Still curious what would cause this? I might have to take the vanos back off and set the plungers again, i cant think of anything else it could be other than that i didn't set it right.
Doesn't that sort of point to the vanos?
Old 07-03-2017, 10:22 PM   #7
Starvega

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
Doesn't that sort of point to the vanos?
Yes it points directly at the vanos obviously. But vanos what? Solenoid? Seals again? Timing problem? It's a fairly simple system, the whole thing doesn't just "go bad", but i dont know exactly what needs to be done to it.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:24 PM   #8
armenh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starvega View Post
Yes it points directly at the vanos obviously. But vanos what? Solenoid? Seals again? Timing problem? It's a fairly simple system, the whole thing doesn't just "go bad", but i dont know exactly what needs to be done to it.
Neither do I, sadly. We just have to wait for others now.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #9
Kalvis_325

My Ride: E46 325ci 330dA E90
Hi all,

not creating new thread - I have as I would say issue with my bmw power (e46 325ci manual). It runs fine (no check engine light, engine stalling, rpm fluctuation ect), but I feel that it has less power than it should have. I have measured 0-60 mph time with Torque app - 9.8 secods is the best time (while my e91 330dA had 7.6 doing without gas/brake start). 9.8 secods is way too slow for the car.

To illustrate see how it is going 80-120kmh (it is total sadness)...

40-140 kmh is the same sh...

I wear 224/40 and 255/35 R18 tires, 10w60 oil, all filters are changed, new spark plugs and there are no mechanical issues as far as I know. There is some noise in intake manifold, fuel pump is giving some noise.
What I should pay attention?
Kalvis_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:28 PM   #10
domza2

My Ride: BMW e46 330ci
Noise from that intake?
Probably your disa valve. That can cause low end power problems.
They do go on these cars.
Rebuild the disa from a kit from G.A.S German auto solutions.
Just do a quick search on this.
Hope this helps.
Good luck

Sent from my E6653 using E46Fanatics mobile app
domza2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #11
domza2

My Ride: BMW e46 330ci
Also 10w60 is not the right oil.
I'm just pointing this out.

To each their own.

Sent from my E6653 using E46Fanatics mobile app
domza2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #12
Starvega

Mine pulls way harder than that video kalvis posted. Mine is just occasional low power at low rpm. Usually after idling for a while at a stop light or something. High revs are fine, pulls like normal.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #13
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
You could be off by one tooth on timing.

I did a head gasket once and had a cam position sensor error. New sensor did not fix it. I reworked the timing backwords to reset the timing and fixed the error.

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptain
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:29 AM   #14
Starvega

It's nearly impossible to set the timing chain wrong on these since it's just set to a general range. The vanos timing however, is really easy to set wrong. I'm pretty sure thats what happened. I don't have time to take it back apart right now though and i need to get ahold of the tool again. Its barely noticable with the solenoid unplugged. I can live with it for the time being.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #15
Kalvis_325

Quote:
Originally Posted by domza2 View Post
Also 10w60 is not the right oil.
I'm just pointing this out.
[/URL]
I had some track days, therefore such oil is used. for winter I will run 5w30.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #16
Kalvis_325

I have also thoughts on disa or vanos valve, since at the end it has almost no power... During test drive while purchasing it I felt some boost in power at the end (5000 rpm till 6000 rpm) and it was surprising for me, but it had some rattle/small jerking in the middle, and the seller solved problem in the middle and after that high end power was lost. I dont know what he did...

Also while pedaling there is some like vacuum.air going out noise (I think from disa). Is it normal?

Last edited by Kalvis_325; 07-17-2017 at 03:34 PM.