Hiding Spots for a GPS tracking unit? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
firehawk

My Ride: '03 325CI 5-Speed
Hiding Spots for a GPS tracking unit?

Hey guys, the apartment I moved into has quite a few cars being stolen from the parking garage... I bought myself a GPS tracking unit just as an insurance policy. Any ideas of good places to hide it? A spot that is well hidden, yet semi-easy to access. I'll have to pull it out to recharge every week or two so I don't want to disassemble a bunch of stuff, but still be hidden to a would-be thief.

Also, how difficult are our cars to steal?
Any ideas of other subtle things I can do to help make sure a thief skips over my car?
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Our cars are very hard to steal, read threads of members locked out. Under the hood you could put it in the cabin filter compartment, inside the car the panel with the sunroof switch there's a spot for a Homelink. You might be able to put it in there if it's not too large.

Quote:
Any ideas of other subtle things I can do to help make sure a thief skips over my car?
Don't leave anything in sight worth stealing.

Last edited by jmo69; 07-16-2017 at 04:17 PM.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #3
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
Also, how difficult are our cars to steal?
In order to drive the car away, a thief needs to have a coded key or a way to defeat that security measure - and I've yet to see how that can be accomplished.
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
In order to drive the car away, a thief needs to have a coded key or a way to defeat that security measure - and I've yet to see how that can be accomplished.
No BMW on either list.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/cars/t...=.a64960902b62

http://www.bankrate.com/auto/check-o...most/#slide=11

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...cles/88031468/

Last edited by All2kool; 07-16-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
shoman24v

My Ride: 2002 330i 1999 328is
Unless they tow your car away, no one can steal it. But, if they have a proper key...
Old 07-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #6
firehawk

Nice, thanks for the info guys! Knowing my car is hard to steal makes me love it even more! Definitely relieves some anxiety about it. While the GPS unit probably isn't necessary, it's just an extra security measure that makes me feel better
Old 07-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #7
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
Nice, thanks for the info guys! Knowing my car is hard to steal makes me love it even more! Definitely relieves some anxiety about it. While the GPS unit probably isn't necessary, it's just an extra security measure that makes me feel better
If you want an extra sense of security, place a business card (overturned) over the VIN in the windshield. Although you can purchase a new key from a variety of sources, you need the VIN to do so and proof of ownership. If a thief is hell bent on having your car, they could forge documents indicating they own the car and purchase a new key. Not likely, but it could happen.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #8
firehawk

Quote:
If you want an extra sense of security, place a business card (overturned) over the VIN in the windshield. Although you can purchase a new key from a variety of sources, you need the VIN to do so and proof of ownership. If a thief is hell bent on having your car, they could forge documents indicating they own the car and purchase a new key. Not likely, but it could happen.
Nice! That's the subtle kind of stuff I like. Obscuring the VIN is a signal to the thief that this owner will probably know the car will be gone quicker than the average person and is therefore more risky to steal. Also costs virtually nothing. Great suggestion

Last edited by firehawk; 07-16-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
The VIN is usually behind the rear license plate on a sticker attached to the trunk. So covering up the VIN on the dash is helpful but not so much for someone that knows these cars.

The best way to keep a car from being stolen these days is to just own a manual transmission!

I would see if you could easily slip the tracking unit under the bumper cover from the top side if you were really interested in hiding it. You could probably even wire up a full time power source or at least one that is switched from the ignition.

You would also add a fuel pump power cut off switch if you were really interested, could easily plug it into the fuel pump fuse in the glove box and have a switch hidden in the glove box or console.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #10
blarf

My Ride: 323i, 325iT, 540iT
Who needs the VIN? Just flash an EWS delete tune over the OBD2 port. If memory serves it's actually not that hard to bump the locks either.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:13 PM   #11
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
The best way to keep a car from being stolen these days is to just own a manual transmission!
OK, that is damn funny.

Quote:
You could probably even wire up a full time power source or at least one that is switched from the ignition.
Finance companies do this all the time - they want to know where the car is for repossession at all times. Of course, they don't tell the borrower. I've seen posts on the Lincoln forum with pictures of 'what the hell is this tucked behind my radio?'

Quote:
You would also add a fuel pump power cut off switch if you were really interested, could easily plug it into the fuel pump fuse in the glove box and have a switch hidden in the glove box or console.
Another great idea.

When I lived in Syracuse, I used to pull the Coil Wire off my 280Z to prevent theft. Yes, I know these cars don't have coils in the sense that my Datsun did.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Datsun
That's a name the youngsters will not understand!

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #13
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
People don't steal cars like BMWs that exist in lesser numbers. They steal cars that are popular because they are easy to strip and get rid of the parts fast.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #14
apseagle

My Ride: 02 325xi 5 speed
Bottom line is if someone wants your car, no matter what it is, they are taking it and you will never see it again. The best way to deal with it is to make sure your car is insured, locked, and then sleep peacefully at night. If your car goes, it will suck, but you deal with it and go on. If you can find the bastards that did it, well, I bet you can come up with something to do.
apseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:49 PM   #15
arcan1440

My Ride: 323i/5
E46s have the magical combination of being both very hard to steal and not worth anything. Combine that with a manual transmission, and it's not something I lose sleep over.

To address the original question, rear ashtray (if coupes have those), under the rear seat, spare tire well. Not sure how big these things are.

Purchased August 2014
arcan1440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #16
HOODY007

My Ride: '04 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcan1440 View Post
E46s have the magical combination of being both very hard to steal and not worth anything. Combine that with a manual transmission, and it's not something I lose sleep over.

To address the original question, rear ashtray (if coupes have those), under the rear seat, spare tire well. Not sure how big these things are.
Coupes do - another good place is, for cars without the Nav system, behind the sunglasses / storage tray on the dash, underneath the radio/HVAC controls. Easy place to get power from (the cigarette lighter is always powered), and easily accessible, since the tray is just secured with two screws and pops out easily.
HOODY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:44 PM   #17
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
That's a name the youngsters will not understand!
My daughter is 33 and when she was looking at a Nissan, I referred to it as a Datsun and I got a wtf? But she can drive a manual.

Last edited by jmo69; 07-16-2017 at 11:45 PM.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:32 AM   #18
blarf

My Ride: 323i, 325iT, 540iT
Quote:
E46s have the magical combination of being both very hard to steal and not worth anything.
Not that hard to steal.

blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #19
EthirD

My Ride: '02 325iT, '07 X5
Quote:
E46s have the magical combination of being both very hard to steal and not worth anything.
112%

There are approximately 0 people in the world who would go to the trouble of forging documents to get a key to steal an E46, unless you are keeping sacks of gold or opiates (or gold-plated opiates) in the trunk. If that's the case, then certainly take all of these precautions.

As for the GPS tracker, put it wherever the heck you want. Nic Cage's high-tech crew from Gone in Sixty Seconds are not stealing $5000 cars from apartment complexes - nobody will know enough about the car to get that the nondescript GPS tracker box isn't just a part of the car. If it can function through the hood, throw it in the "drug bin" for easy access and call it a day. Heck, you could probably put it inside the armrest storage and they'd never find it.

BMW CCA Member #480924
EthirD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #20
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
How many car thieves do you think woke up this morning hoping to steal a 15 year-old BMW worth about $5 grand?

podman
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote