E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 year of ZHP ownership - my experience

4K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  ELCID86 
#1 ·
Thought I'd share my experience after having owned a 2004 ZHP for a year

Had a flawless 2005 Accord before the ZHP, but always looked at BMWs driving by,
saw this ZHP for sale at a small dealer in my area, didnt really know at the time what these ZHPs were

Got the car with 268 000 kms on it, for 10 000$, looked at it for 10 minutes, drove it for another 10 minutes - next day decided to buy it

Read on these forums that they have potential for cooling system failure, decided to take care of that, at least partially from the start

Total maintenance done over 1 year:

Changed coolant, water pump, thermostat ~ $300 for parts (did it on the driveway)
Changed spark plugs ~ $150 for parts
Changed transmission and diff oils

It now has 292 000 kms on it

The Good:

- Looks great (E46 ZHP and M3 are some of the best looking BMWs in my opinion)
-Exceptional handling
-Adequate power (my previous cars had 1.6, 1.5 and 2.4 L engines, the 3L is perfect in my opinion)
-Good fuel economy for a 3L (averaging 8.5-9.5 L/100km in the summer)

The Bad:

-Minor rough idle on start up, particularly in cold weather, not really a bid deal at this point, trying to find the cause (thanks to guys on these forums for advice)
-windows freeze from inside in the winter time (not really sure why, must have some moisture inside the car)
-occasional interior rattles
-slight oil consumption (around 1 L/5000 kms)

The Verdict:

Best car I've owned!

Not sure what would constitute an upgrade at this point, this really is a great car. Hoping it still has few more years left in it, by the looks of it, it certainly does

***1079;***1072;***1075;***1088;***1091;***1079;***1080;***1090;***1100; ***1082;***1072;***1088;***1090;***1080;***1085;***1082;***1091; ***1085;***1072; ***1089;***1072;***1081;***1090;

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi and congrulations for your new car. I recommend that you do DISA-valve check (maybe install german auto solutions repair kit), then do that beisan vanos seals.. (www.beisansystems.com).
That is good that waterpump and thermostat has been already done.

Are you running 0w or 5w oil? 5w motor oil might help with oil consumption.

#16 · (Edited)
#23 · (Edited)
And I would venture to guess most aren't actually ZHP's and are M-Sports if they are sold in Canada. Do you have a US spec car OP? If not then it is not a ZHP. Red gauge needles would be a good clue, they didn't make separate km/hr clusters for Canadian versions so that would be your first clue as to what it actually is. Actually, if you have a km/hr cluster than it is an M-sport.
Actually, they did make ZHP's for the Canadian Market. The Canadian option "performance package" was listed as ZAM I believe and it included ALL of the ZHP options (Cams, suspension, exhaust, higher redline, increased HP and torque etc) except for the red needles, they instead just installed the standard KM based cluster.

There are also M-Sport models as well, which had all of the cosmetic options but none of the performance options.

Pulled from ZHP Mafia:

Question: And what about the BMW 330 vehicles in Canada that look like the ZHP in the United States?
Answer: Canada was different. In fact, BMW created the M Performance Package in Canada. It not only got the looks of its US counterpart, it also got the upgraded camshafts and engine tweaks. One thing that it didn't get, though, was the red needles on the instrument cluster. Moreover, the redline is at 6500 RPM, even though the car will rev to 6800 RPM -- just like its US ZHP counterpart. It also got the BMW Performance Package exhaust with the thinner walls (exactly like the one on the ZHP). Therefore, while it was not given the ZHP code name, it's simply a ZHP by another name. Indeed, it was given the option code of ZAM.

Question: I know that I've seen other BMW 330 vehicles in Canada that look like the US ZHP and the Canadian M Performance Package. However, they did not get the upgraded engine tweaks. What was that version called?
Answer: That's the M-sport package. The M-sport package came standard with 225 HP (like the stock 330) but it got the M-tech II Aero body kit. The M-sport package has the standard 330i thick chrome exhaust tips with the flap inside of the right-side tip.

#5 ·
hey! nice clean car you have there! congratz on the 1 year.

if i were you i'd start off with vanos seals. they make a huge difference. By the way you havent done any mod to your car it tells me your a older/wiser driver.

In toronto, we have a BMW enthusiast group called "bmwtruenorth" daily events, meet, hook up prices, friendly community all over GTA. if you have facebook then join us

#6 ·
$10k for a 10 yo car with over 250k... something tells me you're not old enough to realize that was a waste of $$$$. ;)

Hope you make enough to start replacing all those fun suspension components, ccv, vanos, gaskets, bushings.... oh so so so much more

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#11 ·
i am 28 ;)

Over the first year, really I could have done absolutely nothing to it and it would likely be fine, all the work I did was because I wanted to do it, not because symptoms arose, therefore I am not too afraid at this point
even if I do have to spend a couple of thousand, still worth it :thumbsup:

#12 · (Edited)
Looks like it's in good shape. Keep up with the maintenance and you should be fine for a long while. My friends got a 2002 330ci individual and it just passed 300k KMs and it's still doing fine.

Bowns Line and Lakeshore is where my dad used to live, I'm near square one! :hi:

Oh BTW the golf tee mod is where you stick a golf tee in the line coming out of your exhaust tip to keep the flap inside open and get a nicer gahrgle noise from it. It's in the DIY section in the Free mods / cheap mods under $10 DIY thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=606017&highlight=golf+tee

#26 ·
Nice looking ride! If you haven't done it yet I would replace the coolant expansion tank and check the upper and lower intake boots for cracks. Could b source of your rough idle when cold. The oil consumption you mentioned is normal for this model. Good luck!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#28 ·
The Bad:

-Minor rough idle on start up, particularly in cold weather, not really a bid deal at this point, trying to find the cause (thanks to guys on these forums for advice)
-windows freeze from inside in the winter time (not really sure why, must have some moisture inside the car)
-occasional interior rattles
-slight oil consumption (around 1 L/5000 kms)
- To fix rough idle - Clean ICV or change out old crack air boots
- To fix moisture on windows - Reseal you inner door seals. That foam sheet with the black goo sealant that you could buy at Canadian Tire for $3.
- There are lots of cheap, quick, easy DIY Threads for various rattles and squeaks. Personally as my car gets older and the rattles increase I'm led to believe it has to do with old shocks and struts not cushioning the drive anymore than thinks inside the cabin.
- Oil consumption is not normal like most people will tell you. I had the same and was always told it's okay the M54 does that. But as soon as I replaced all my old oil gaskets (some gasket leak lots of oil while other gaskets trickle oil) my oil consumption diminished greatly. Also the CCV and Oil Pressure tubes and valves can be changed.

That is the beauty of our cars EVERYTHING is fixable and 99.9% of EVERYTHING you can do yourself on a nice weekend afternoon with some friends and proper tools.

:thumbup:

#32 ·
Which oil gaskets are you referring to?
My VCG is fine, and it was replaced not to long ago be previous owner, saw the receipt

Air boots are pretty good, only one was found to have minor cracks (not going all the way though) will take care of that before winter

As for oil consumption, I read on these forums that BMW states a certain amount of oil consumed is normal

Supposedly AUDI A4 also has this problem, even when pretty much new

#33 ·
somewhat of a misconception in my opinion, thinking that cars with over 200K are falling apart

My Accord had 236 000 km on it, when I traded it in, there wasnt even a hint of any sort of problem with the car

We have a 99 Camry in the family, it is at 305 000 km, apart from some minor oil consumption it is fine, some repairs had to be done over time, but nothing major

a fella at work has an Accord, with 440 000 km on it! He says the suspension is going out, but the engine and transmission are still good

in my opinion, if a car was well maintained and not abused, over 200K is no big deal

#34 ·
Got this by entering the VIN number, M sport or ZHP?

Model description 330I
Market USA
Type EV53
E-Code E46 (4FL)
Chassis Limousine
Steering links
Doors 4
Engine M54 - 3,00l (170kW)
Drive Heckantrieb
Transmission manuell
Body color Titansilber Metallic (354)
Upholstery Standardleder/schwarz (N6SW)
Production date 10.05.2004
Assembled in München
Code Serienausstattung Standard Equipment
S210A Dynamische-Stabilitäts-Control Dynamic stability control
S354A Frontscheibe grün Grünkeil Green windscreen, green shade band
S411A Fensterheber elektrisch vorne/hinten Window lifts,electric,front/rear
S473A Armlehne vorne Armrest front
S520A Nebelscheinwerfer Fog lights
S550A Bordcomputer On-board computer
S645A BMW US Radio BMW US Radio
S661A Radio BMW Business (C43) Radio BMW Business (C43)
S823A Heissland-Ausführung Hot-climate version
S832A Batterie im Kofferraum Battery in luggage compartment
S845A Akustische Gurtwarnung Acoustic belt warning
S853A Sprachversion englisch Language version English
S876A Funkfrequenz 315 MHz Radio frequency 315 MHz
S992A Steuerung Kennzeichenbefestigung Control of number-plate attachment
Code Sonderausstattung Optional Equipment
created on: www.bmwarchiv.orgData for vehicle identification number: WBAEV53404KM07407
S1CAA Selektion COP relevanter Fahrzeuge Selection of COP relevant vehicles
S226A Sportliche Fahrwerksabstimmung Sports suspension settings
S249A Multifunktion für Lenkrad Multifunction f steering wheel
S403A Glasdach elektrisch Glass roof, electrical
S431A Innenspiegel automatisch abblendend Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S441A Raucherpaket Smoker package
S459A Sitzverstellung elektrisch mit Memory Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
S465A Durchladesystem Through-loading system
S481A Sportsitz Sports seat
S488A Lordosenstütze Fahrer u. Beifahrer Lumbar support, driver and passenger
S494A Sitzheizung Fahrer/Beifahrer Seat heating driver/passenger
S495A Dreipunktgurt u. Kopfstütze hinten Mitte 3-point belt and headrest, center rear
S502A Scheinwerferreinigungsanlage Headlight cleaning system
S521A Regensensor Rain sensor
S522A Xenon-Licht Xenon Light
S534A Klimaautomatik Automatic air conditioning
S548A Kilometertacho Kilometer-calibrated speedometer
S650A CD-Laufwerk CD player
S674A HiFi System Harman Kardon Hi-Fi System Harman Kardon
S692A CD-Wechsler I-Bus Vorbereitung Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus
S710A M Lederlenkrad M leather steering wheel
S716A Aerodynamikpaket Aerodynamics package
S760A Hochglanz Shadow-Line High gloss shadow line
S767A Performance Package Performance Package
S772A Interieurleisten Alu Black Cube Interior moldings Alu Black Cube
S775A Dachhimmel anthrazit Headlining anthracite
S787A BMW LM Rad M Doppelspeiche 135 BMW alloy wheel, M double spoke 135
S818A Batteriehauptschalter Battery master switch
L838A Länderausführung Kanada NATIONAL VERSION CANADA
S896A Tagfahrlichtschaltung Daytime driving light switch
S8SPA Steuerung COP Control unit COP
S915A Entfall Aussenhautkonservierung Delete clear coat
created on: www.bmwarchiv.orgData for vehicle identification number: WBAEV53404KM07407
S925A Versandschutzpaket Transport protection package

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.