E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Audi Calls BMW "The One Who Fell a Bit Short" - Is Audi Pulling Ahead in the Ad War?

23K views 81 replies 53 participants last post by  OBaero3er 
#1 ·
Audi Calls BMW "The One Who Fell a Bit Short" - Is Audi Pulling Ahead in the Ad War?

In the never ending quest for one-uping each other BMW and Audi have given us some entertaining commercials, ads and billboards, the most famous of recent memory being the Santa Monica BMW checkmate billboard created in response to a local Audi dealership billboard.

It looks like Audi corporate is now getting in on the fun by highlighting BMW's defeat in three straight Car and Driver comparisons say - "second best, the one who fell a bit short". But don't let me ruin it for you, watch the ad and tell us what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ux0iFrH9Q

In another commercial Audi throws a dig at BMW along with Lexus, Mercedes and Ferrari.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toPxvYc-sLY&f

What is BMW going to do to answer these Audi commercials? Tell us what would make the best BMW commercial to put Audi in their place.

See less See more
#7 ·
I am surprised your 2.7l twin turbo Audi is faster than your base model 2.5l NA BMW.
I am surprised your S4 handles better than a base model 3 series (this one may be genuine).
I am surprised your S4 is more comfortable than your seemingly no-optioned base model 3 series
I don't believe your S4 has better gas mileage than your 325.
I don't care what stereo is better but i'm going to assume you don't have the HK package.
I don't care you're comparing a poorly optioned base model 3 series to your S4

If you didn't catch the drift, that's a pretty silly comparison because they're completely different cars. I agree the S4 is a better car than your 325, but it doesn't mean much.

#5 ·
well, you know all these commercials are nothing but entertainment without the consumer going in a walking out with the product... so to me these are entertaining... I love my e46 nomatter how much cooler the audi is or it is said to be... no disrespect to anyone, to each his own, but i will never be buying another car ever again...

sooo audi can say whatever they want, to me personally they lost...

IMO

#8 ·
Alot of These car commercials compare cars that dont even match up. like a twin turbo 2.7 for example. amost the same size but twin turbo. Audi makes great cars not doubt about it . Alot of the times its like Comparing a Jeep to a M3. And jeep saying that BMW sucks because the M3 cant off road. Every make and model of car suits a different person and personality. But ill stick with my BMW for curvy lines My Camaro for straight line fine and my old truck for off road fun. even theses vehicles. you can compare one to the either.

#9 ·
I think if you look at the sales, at least US figures, Audi is far behind almost everyone else. 2009 Top Luxury US car sales:

1. Lexus 215,975
2. BMW 196,502
3. Mercedes 190,604
4. Cadillac 109,092
5. Acura 105,723
6. Audi 82,716

As you can see, at least in the US, Audi is 6th place in total sales. Those Audi commercials need to be "strong" and "edgy" in order to get more peoples attention and increase their sales.

That being said, I think if I was in the market for a new car, it would probably be a new Audi A4 Avant Wagon. I'm not a fan of the current crop of BMWs, except maybe the E92 series.

#13 ·
Just a little of my personal experience, (your mileage may vary)...

In 2001 I purchased a new A4 Avant with a 1.8T and 5 speed transmission.
In 2005 I traded it for a new 325iT Touring also with a 5 speed.

The Audi was APR chipped so it had about 225 HP compaired to the 325iT at 184 HP.
Both cars weigh about 3350 lbs. Quattro robs some power but the Audi had more power once the boost was on.

So... just like a S4 vs. a ZHP, the Audi has more power on paper, but...
The BMW is smoother and more refined. It handles better and rides better.
The weight balance is better and the suspension tuning is better along with the steering feel.
The BMW brakes have a stronger, more solid feel. The BMW is more fun to drive overall.

The Audi had much more wind noise at 70 mph. The BMWs doors have a heaver, more solid feel.
The Audi had one seal that goes all the way around each door opening, the BMW has two.
The BMW seats are better on my back and the BMW has far less rattles than the Audi.
Also the few rattles in the BMW have been easy to find and fix.
In the Audi the rattles just seemed to keep coming back.
The Bose Stereo in the Audi was better than the BMW H/K but it didn't have steering wheel controls.
The Audi had a number of warranty issues that had to be repaired, including replacing the door hinges because they started to bind.
The BMW has never been back to the dealer.

The only time I miss my Audi is when it snows because I now drive a Subie in the Winter. Personally, I would not buy another Audi.

#16 ·
lol my friend has an 01 s4 and he's always trying to compare it to my 330ci..
he says it faster and awd so it must be better... lol i would love to see how slow that car is without its turbos..

either way i remember a night out.

so we're at a club talking to 2 girls and one girl asked us what we drive.. he says AUDI with a huge smile..
i just say bmw normally and both girls are like OMG you have a bimmer.

He got so jealous and bluets out my audi will blow his car out of the water.. the girls just look at him like hes a loser. and says ughhh w/e bmws are still better.. He was SOOO pissed i loved it.

ahh man so funny

#17 ·
No hate for Audi. Obviously being on a BMW forum you are going to get bias opinions. I have a M3 and I have a S4. More fun to drive is the M3, but the Audi just feels better as a daily driver. Better looking interior, quiet cabinet, more power on straight. I love both cars. I do agree with the commercials, Audi is growing faster than all its competitors! BMW isn't where it used to be or should be after the E46, Audi just took huge leaps and I personally feel it is ahead in the game. Where I live BMW dealerships are closing or relocating, while Audi dealerships are opening. In Montreal it has become almost standard to drive a BMW or Audi, and to be honest Audi is the better option for our **** roads.

#33 ·
All I have to say is audis blow there turbos like its a 30k maint item thats enough for me to end the convo. My buddy has a a4 turbo awd and he loves it, but he was mad when I told him I was going to buy a M3, I ended up with a 325 because it was around 12k cheaper and it let me keep my downpayment for a house. Everyone at my work and most of my friends prefer my bmw, he was pissed and I paid half what he did. Iam not 40 I dont need a 4 door.

#34 ·
I went from a 2001 330Ci 5 speed to a 2005 M3 6 speed & 1997 A4 Auto (daily driver) to a 2001 S4 6 speed.

My comparison doesn't really compare well since both my non-M and M BMW were newer than my non-S and S Audi, but it does take a look at the earliest and latest years of both the E46 and B5 chassis.

First off, there was nothing I liked about my 97 A4 except that it had 4 doors. It was slow, sluggish, non-responsive and troublesome. I can't even compare my 05 M3 to the 01 S4 because it's completely out of it's league so what I'll do is compare my 01 330Ci to my 01 S4. Right off the bat, my 330 steering was more responsive, the suspension was tighter, the clutch engaged smoother, the engine was quieter, the engine and trans mounts never went bad even at 140k miles vs the S4's 60k, who's trans rocks between shifts.. The only aspect I like about my S4 is the power and AWD. Other than that, it's simply an understeering 4 door family sedan with twin-turbos. Looks wise, the E46 out-shines the B5 any day of the week. As for the newer B6, 7and 8s vs E90 and 92s, the B7 wins, but will never beat the E46.

I miss my M3 soo much. I do feel more grown up driving the S4 around, but I don't think Audi's "S" will ever have the status symbol that BMW's "M" carries. Plus, I like being a kid so M POWER all day! :4ngie:

#35 ·
Audi's are great... But the balance that is engineered into our cars is something that can't be matched by Audi. I look at it like this - Audi is designed around all 4 passengers and a BMW is designed around its driver. Audi designs a car based on how safe it can handle a collision where BMW designes a car that can avoid the collision (well... so it feels :)

To each his own... I'm sure the Audi guys and BMW guys share laughs because they both know they're superior in their ablility to design some of the best cars out there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.