E46 Fanatics Forum banner

260 rwhp 323i 99 e46 with orig motor and no super charger!

86K views 272 replies 62 participants last post by  TrippinBimmer 
#1 ·
Hello all it has been a long ardiuos road, but i finally got the call today from Evosport! Put down 260 rwhp with a 99 e46 323i orig motor! no supercharger, but instead a custom turbo gt 35r with a pectel stand alone! dinan free flow exhaust, all custom piping and oil feed lines by Evosport! Huge thanks to Dale and Brad from Evosport for your time and patience, i have heard alot of good things about their customer service and i would say Brad has matched every one of them! I will have pics of the dyno and the set up in the next week or so as i am going to Cali to pick up my car:str8pimpi
Any questions ask away!

#104 ·
Okay i know it has been nearly a month since my last post! SO here is a update, the motor has been rebuilt and put back in. The car has some minor idle issues, to be expected since i have changed quite a bit since the last tune (crank, head, bottom end) So i think it is too late to have the tuner come from cali to re-tune as i live in MN and it is going to be stored here shortly :(. So i have some down time over the winter to get a few things done, i would like suggestions on a few of my ideas or ideas on what else can be done. Here are mine i would like to install a turbo timer, a zion race radiator, some form of methanol injection (who would u guys go with) upgraded injectors maybe 750 cc, oil cooler (again who's ? ) upgraded fuel pump any ideas? ANyone think of anything else i should do? I have about $8,000 left for this project. Coil packs? My new goal is going to be 550 to the rear wheels on pump (425-450 was the old goal)

#110 ·
What do you need help with?

So this setup made 260 rwhp at 8 psi on a GT35?????? Is there a crap ton of drivetrain power lose in these BMWs. I made 300whp at 8 psi in my civic on a slightly smaller turbo But that's out of a small 1.8liter hmmmmm
There is a big difference between HP and Torque. I'm betting the BWM made more torque, but didn't rev nearly as high as the Honda.

#118 ·
sorry i thought you meant intake side, no my exhaust side is all custom. in terms of charge pipe i thought you meant diameter of pipe, i am not sure on this, my guess would be 2 feet. turbo is correct as you state. What is your reasoning on those lsd set ups, one versus the other?

#126 ·
im glad i asked, i really liked the look of that set up! Now i have someone that has used it tell me it is not that good. I have looked at the fjo i like it also! Now i have to decide between the fjo and aquamist. Prolly gonna go FJO as you guys all like it best. Thanks pei, and bimmerguy for your input.

#139 ·
LOL my gf is complete opposite she always tells me to put on meth mode cuz pump isnt a "roller coaster ride feeling" :rofl:... She always says why don't you let the RPM's goto redline (many reasons why not so I dont even bother explaining)

Seems like shes also more excited about race gas mode next season, never had a chance to get any this year and I stored my car yesterday :(

Anyways Ive been watching your thread for a while, seems like you finally are almost finished :)

Trust me I know how it feels to wait, but let me tell you.. Its worth it 100% :D

#141 ·
Hey blkmax that sounds like a good idea! Ok so here we go i have opted to return the aquamist hfs-6 in lieu of e85 ethanol fuel setup instead. SO as we speak i had a custom fuel rail built that was shipped yesterday by fic i think they are in Florida, they also matched the rail up with new 1100 cc injectors to accomadate for the higher flow due to the e85. Now i did all -6 an lines fitting etc with a custom inline filter built by fic also. The entire fuel system is -6 from the tank which also now has a custom hanger and intake to the pump for fuel. I have opted out of the dual walboro set up for a less noisy one i am using the new Deutsch fuel pump rated to over 300 lph one pump only. I have gotton the zionsville race radiator installed and running, the stett perf. radiator hoses have been installed, along with the stewart hp water pump. I removed the dinan free flow exhaust (kept the muffler) for a custom 3 inch design including downpipe all the way back to the dinan muffler that was fabbed last week it is in place just needs to be final welded in place to insure perfect fitment. And the best news of all i have locked in a dyno day and tuning with Apex April 20th 2011, right after my first child is born! :excited: New car and baby girl in the same month it is going to be a great year!

#142 ·
i do want to post one thing about the hfs-6 it was a perfectly thought out and engineered kit all the way from the dash gauge which was sleek and refined all the way down to the fittings and pump i would recommend this product to anyone (you cant beat this set up between its parts and tech support all the way to its fail safe options) I just felt that living in MN i was a fool not to harness the power of the e85! It is also funny to look back and see this thread how happy i was to have 260 rwhp and now i am going to be knocking on the door of 500rwhp all with a 323i! We played this game last time but i feel it is more relevant now as i am only 3-4 months away, what does everyone think the final rwhp numbers are going to be? Keep in mind we are going to be using a dynapack which i hear measure high compared to a mustang or even a dynojet?

#145 ·
Hmm, so no dyno results of this setup released at all?!?! I guess I should call up Simon/Brad and see if they can get me more info... I'm researching options for our little 2000 E46 323i... coming from Honda background, we make huge powers with even with GT30. A street 2 liter Honda with GT30 on pump gas, 10 psi will be pushing just over 400 whp. That is FWD so less drive train loss than BMW RWD but even so, I'd expect at least 300 whp from a 2.5 liter BMW with GT35. My gut feeling is actually the BMW aftermarket is fairly under developed... perhaps there is a need for my company's service in the near future. :)

#155 ·
I'm researching about turbo kits for E46 323/325i and this is the only thread I came across there. Yet there is very little hard data being shared... what gives!! Like I said, I can probably just call up EvoSport and get the scoop but... I'm hoping the OP would share what he knows.

I'm a Honda guy at heart but I love all cars, including BMW. :) So I'm not trying to start a Honda vs. BMW thing. We have both in our fleet. And FWIW, I've been playing with a 1991 NSX this week:

dyno tuned from 365/258 to 368/263 whp/ft-lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubk5JxgaKAQ
Jacob's car is an outstanding example of how to go about building a truly custom BMW turbo. Not everything he's done is in this thread...there are other threads, and he doesn't participate online with in-depth technical explanations as much as someone like Neel Vasavada. That said, there isn't BS in what he says. In fact....a lot of times he's a bit too direct for my taste, but that's another topic entirely.

Technique Tuning does have a kit for 325s, and it offers a very direct and affordable way to properly add a turbo to the E46 non-M platform.

If you want to go with something custom, break out your wallet. I'd start with at least $20k in your pocket to cover the hardware, labor, and tuning. Expect it to take in the area of 6 months to get everything completed, from start of consultation to finished delivery of a turn-key car. It can get a lot more expensive and timely from there depending on options and whom you work with.

#162 · (Edited)
Jacob's car is an outstanding example of how to go about building a truly custom BMW turbo. Not everything he's done is in this thread...there are other threads, and he doesn't participate online with in-depth technical explanations as much as someone like Neel Vasavada. That said, there isn't BS in what he says. In fact....a lot of times he's a bit too direct for my taste, but that's another topic entirely.

Technique Tuning does have a kit for 325s, and it offers a very direct and affordable way to properly add a turbo to the E46 non-M platform.

If you want to go with something custom, break out your wallet. I'd start with at least $20k in your pocket to cover the hardware, labor, and tuning. Expect it to take in the area of 6 months to get everything completed, from start of consultation to finished delivery of a turn-key car. It can get a lot more expensive and timely from there depending on options and whom you work with.
As usual you hit the nail on the head!
at least 20k to at least mimic what I did but all ready having the pieces to the puzzle in place as I am sure Adam knows with his extensive research and testing, that to get to the point I am now I went through alot of mishaps and mistakes. But nowadays alot of people are forging paths in our platform and the info to do what I did is readily available from people like me Adam and 10-15 other various forum members here. Again yes it all depends on who you work with to get the project done I had issues to the tune of over a year and a half due to the very person you want to contact! But on the other hand if you do alot of the work yourself like Adam does then 20k is a perfect budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.