E46 Fanatics Forum banner

My TT Stage 2 Build (Step 1) Pics

108K views 610 replies 73 participants last post by  MalibuMafiaV 
#1 ·
So the car has been eating oil like crazy because before the turbo it sucked up a lot of water and killed some rings. Now the boost is making it worse anyways...

I thought I guess its time for stage 2 plus a little. The goal is 415RWHP.

So far I only plan on:

CP 8.8:1 Forged Pistons
Hone and deck the block
Same turbo with a .82 a/f exhaust housing
and more boost:4ngie:

Not sure if I'm doing anything to the head/valves.

I worked on it for about 5 hours today.

Oil in the intercooler is from a bad CCV keeping the turbo from draining.

Got frustrated because i could get the down pipe/wastegate tube off and out of the way.

(all done with 2 jack stands in my apartment parking lot)

Any advice welcome. BTW i planned on leaving the transmission attached.

See less See more
#122 ·
Can you elaborate?
I don't mean to scare you, but in general everything took me nearly 2-3 times as long to finish than what I initially planned on my first engine rebuild. Probably the most nasty one was receiving the wrong parts from vendors...which I got to foot the shipping bill on. In one case, the part was completely unusable from a well known vendor, and they refused to take any action.

I don't think you'll run into the exact same issues I did, as I can guide you through a lot of this, but there still will be "surprise" $500 costs by the time you get this back together.

#132 ·
^^^:yikes: Anyways On another note. Going against what i was told:facepalm:

I was convinced that going with an 84.5mm bore was pretty much the only option I had.

1 Reason I was told is that the rings only come in .5mm increments and although the engine can't be bored anymore that 84.5 should be fine.

Worst thing that could happen is Re-sleeve.......

So I Ordered the 8.8:1 84.5mm CP Pistons

I'm going to hold off on the ATI Dampener and get a UUC Light weight flywheel+M5 Clutch and Greg's Oil Pump.

How does that sound?

#146 ·
WOWWWWWWWW... I went through all 8 pages and I :bow: to you! Thats pretty fukin awesome what you're doing. Fully restored engine by yourself, all labor done at home, and especially no garage?? :excited:

Also I see that you're very mechanically inclined so thats a big :thumbsup:. Have you done this type of work before? If I attemp to bring my parts let alone engine hoist, stand, and block/heads in my house I wouldn't hear the last of it from the significant other.

Keep up the good work and i'll check back later on the process. I wanna see the outcome and the newly refined rebuilt motor.

#147 ·
Thanks, and actually the apartment manager came up to me and was telling me he admired my car and ask what I did with the engine. In the end he wanted to know if a was a BMW mechanic:lmao:(not by far) and if I could put cats on his E39 530. My roommate(female) doesn't really care as long as everything stays in my room or the back deck.

Yeah I really wish I ordered the pistons a long time ago but O well.....all I want is to be done before August 6. That includes a dirve down to Florida.

#153 ·
The cam blocks (or ledges) are the bearings, and unless your ledges show severe signs of scoring or other wear I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd find more importance in weight matching your piston/rod assemblies than putting the rods back in the same place (but others may have a different opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.