E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
Oz Striker

My Ride: '00 330Ci, '07 350Z
Question How to get Quicker steering rack/ratio for '00 330?

I remember reading a while back how the 99/00 MY E46s had overboosted power steering, which makes the steering feel a little too light/floaty when driving along at speeds that a BMW is meant to be driven at!

I've searched here and bimmerforums but not come up with the threads i had read way back. Anyone got any useful links as to which parts are required, or what years? I spotted this on ebay and wondered if it would do the job??:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My YouTube Channel incl Muffler delete vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/OzStryke...view_as=public

My blog on E46 DIYs & Mods http://lifewithabmw.blogspot.com/
Oz Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
jmay87

My Ride: e36,e46,e90
99/00 MY cars did NOT have the overboosted steering,they actually have the least boosted steering. It was 01 MY that had the really bad overboosted steering racks. Most people try to find a steering rack out of a 99 or 00 to swap in to go to the least boosted steering. That part you linked to will not do anything to the steering feel, it is the rack not the column that gets replaced.

jmay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
jlcool007

My Ride: E46 330ci Smoked Out
can someone chime in about the quicker ratio (i hate how many turns lock to lock my 01 330ci has)

someone a long time ago commented on a new rack fvking with the DSC and EBD and ABS due to the steering angle sensors or something?

anyone?

------------------------------------------------
also, jmay87, is it a "direct" swap for the rack? i thought the column is where the powersteering comes from (that big black dum disk right in the engine bay on the driver's side firewall). Also, can i underpower it but removing some lines (liike if there are 4 in out, just make 2 in out?)

***staggered style #68 330ci spt. pgk. wheels w/ PS2's***

***full set amber 2001 330ci lights***

***99-01 coupe smoked corners***

Jason Le Blanc's Facebook profile
jlcool007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcool007 View Post
can someone chime in about the quicker ratio (i hate how many turns lock to lock my 01 330ci has)

someone a long time ago commented on a new rack fvking with the DSC and EBD and ABS due to the steering angle sensors or something?

anyone?

------------------------------------------------
also, jmay87, is it a "direct" swap for the rack? i thought the column is where the powersteering comes from (that big black dum disk right in the engine bay on the driver's side firewall). Also, can i underpower it but removing some lines (liike if there are 4 in out, just make 2 in out?)

a new rack shouldnt mess with the DSC or anything like that. the ZHP has no different program than any other non-m e46 as far as DSC, ABS goes...

and no the big black drum disk is the brake booster not having anything to do with power steering
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
BMW_Matt

My Ride: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcool007 View Post
(that big black dum disk right in the engine bay on the driver's side firewall).
Lol.

Last edited by BMW_Matt; 04-20-2010 at 04:59 PM.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
Oz Striker

My Ride: '00 330Ci, '07 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmay87 View Post
99/00 MY cars did NOT have the overboosted steering,they actually have the least boosted steering. It was 01 MY that had the really bad overboosted steering racks. Most people try to find a steering rack out of a 99 or 00 to swap in to go to the least boosted steering. That part you linked to will not do anything to the steering feel, it is the rack not the column that gets replaced.
Thanks i checked BMWfans info and you're right my July '00 330Ci has the same rack as the last run of 328Ci's, but i'd still like to make my steering feel a little heavier, less sensitive perhaps.... need to look into underdriving the power steering pulley........ another one added to the list of things to check out/things to do!!

Finally found this thread which may be of help to some folks:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...icker+steering

My YouTube Channel incl Muffler delete vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/OzStryke...view_as=public

My blog on E46 DIYs & Mods http://lifewithabmw.blogspot.com/
Oz Striker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboosted, power steering, steering rack