E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
icechelsea

My Ride: e46 320D 2000'
Odometer Rollback Check

Hey guys,
I'm about to purchase a second hand 2000 BMW e46 320D European version. I found a good car and I was so ready to buy it, when I saw that the tamper dot right next to the mileage.
From what I read about it, it means that there's been an odometer rollback since the dot is on. However, it also means that the mileage recorded in the ECU is different to the one I can see on the instrumental cluster. I was wondering, is there anyway that I can read the real mileage of the car - the one in the ECU?
Can I do that with one of these:
bmw e46 code reader

Thanks in advance
icechelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
Suseer

My Ride: Cayman S
Not sure if that code reader will do it. If you bring it to a BMW shop they can check, otherwise if you want you can lookup the software called NCSExpert/INPA - Easiest way is to bring it to a shop.

You'll already want to bring it to a shop to get a PPI done to it anyway. (Prepurchase inspection)
Suseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
The tamper dots means that the vin number and/or mileage does not match what is stored in the dme, cluster, and lcm.

sent from HTC EVO
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
The cluster, LCM, DME, EWS, and key all store the car's mileage. Here's the thing though, that light only shows up if the VIN doesn't match between the odometer recording modules. If someone changes the mileage and ensures all the VINs match (which is ridiculously easy on the early e46s) then the dot doesn't illuminate.

Chances are if the dot is illuminated, the previous owner changed the cluster or LCM with a used module, because he didn't want to pay BMW the ridiculous prices they charge.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
Shmo

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to Shmo Send a message via MSN to Shmo Send a message via Yahoo to Shmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
The cluster, LCM, DME, EWS, and key all store the car's mileage. Here's the thing though, that light only shows up if the VIN doesn't match between the odometer recording modules. If someone changes the mileage and ensures all the VINs match (which is ridiculously easy on the early e46s) then the dot doesn't illuminate.

Chances are if the dot is illuminated, the previous owner changed the cluster or LCM with a used module, because he didn't want to pay BMW the ridiculous prices they charge.
^ This. He probably had a faulty cluster and went ahead and put in a used one. There are people here who et the tamper dot on their cars doing the same thing. I don't think he's trying to scam you. Just ask for the ending mileage on the other one and the starting mileage on the current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You did pray to your BMW shrine first, asking the Great Roundel for guidance on parts' choices first, right?
Shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Those scanners will do nothing. You need BMW software and it will tell you if there is a discrepancy with the mileage.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
which is ridiculously easy on the early e46s
Why do you say it's easy to change on the early models? Is there a way to change it with software? Not gonna do it I'm just curious as to how you'd change a digital odo

Btw thanks for coding my car at bimmerfest! You were 1/2 members I actually met there so that was cool
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Why do you say it's easy to change on the early models? Is there a way to change it with software? Not gonna do it I'm just curious as to how you'd change a digital odo

Btw thanks for coding my car at bimmerfest! You were 1/2 members I actually met there so that was cool
Yea, the older clusters don't have any write protection for their EEPROMs, so with the right software you can input any mileage and VIN you want. I've actually done in the past (helped someone recode a used cluster with the mileage stored on the lcm). Almost scary how easy it was - I could've set it to any value I wanted and there was no tamper dot. I think in 2001 or 2002 they added some write protections, so you need to desolder the chip and use an external programmer. Not impossible, but does stop a lot of people.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:58 AM   #9
icechelsea

My Ride: e46 320D 2000'
Thanks to everyone for the quick and useful responses...
From what I learned, it's most probably a cluster change right?
@TerraPhantm, you said it's very easy to change the mileage on the cluster, but how easy it is to change it in the ECU? Can the BMW guys read the true mileage from the ECU for me?
My goal is to find out how many miles has that car passed already. And what's with the VIN mismatch? Can it be a stolen car?

Thanks again
icechelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #10
certify

My Ride: 328i 2000
I had the DOT after I changed the LCM as it is mandatory as I did OEM facelift tail light R/C/R upgrade.

How do I get rid of the DOT?
certify is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecu, mileage, odometer, rollback, tamper dot