Need Some 6.5" Speaker Opinions/Preferences - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
iRide113

My Ride: 2004 M3
Smile Need Some 6.5" Speaker Opinions/Preferences

So, no disrespect to Bavarian, but I feel like with a little DIY, I can make a lot more bang for my buck (even though I haz no many buxz). I've done a lot of research and already picked my mids and tweeters (which are a b*tch to find) - thanks to Shon and his post here.

My car is non HK and I plan on not running a separate amp for the speakers. I have an Android Dynavin installed, and plan on creating a custom fiberglass box for subs in the back, but that will come over summer.

Anyone have a good preference on 6.5" mid-bass speakers that won't hurt the wallet? I already bought four adapter brackets, so that's not a problem. I also plan on using some sort of wire taps, or solder T-wires coming from the speaker wires, that way I can keep the OEM adapters on, just in case I want to put everything back to stock.

I've done some searching, and the new Kicker 40CS654's seem pretty qualified, but I feel that someone may know more than I do. So thanks in advance!
iRide113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
iRide113

Re: Need Some 6.5" Speaker Opinions/Preferences

Bump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-23-2013, 03:13 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Need Some 6.5" Speaker Opinions/Preferences

I have Diamond Hex S600 mid-subs in my coupe; they sound great. I recommend that you check Madison Sound as their site has a range of 6.5" speakers.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Riverbmr3

My Ride: MB E350 & BMW 325i
I installed Infinity 6.5 speakers in front door and rear deck, sounds great
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
iRide113

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoybmr3 View Post
I installed Infinity 6.5 speakers in front door and rear deck, sounds great
Have a product number?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Tament

My Ride: 2001 330I
Need Some 6.5" Speaker Opinions/Preferences

I am currently researching the same, if you order from crutchfield they will give the brackets free, and free shipping. Are the current OE speakers any good? If not, then you can cut the connectors off the old OE speakers, solder speaker wire between the connector and the new speakers. Put at least 1/2 foot of wire between that and the speaker so you can extend the connector outside the speaker enclosure. That is for the rear deck, I have not looked at the doors yet. This way will prevent any splicing or tapping of the wires in the car. If your OE speakers are still good and you want to hold onto them.... I have no suggestion for that piece. I just experimented withy rear deck with some infinity speakers I had laying around.

My only problem is that the OE speakers are 2ohm and all I can find aftermarket anywhere is 4ohm.

Tament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
iRide113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tament View Post
I am currently researching the same, if you order from crutchfield they will give the brackets free, and free shipping. Are the current OE speakers any good? If not, then you can cut the connectors off the old OE speakers, solder speaker wire between the connector and the new speakers. Put at least 1/2 foot of wire between that and the speaker so you can extend the connector outside the speaker enclosure. That is for the rear deck, I have not looked at the doors yet. This way will prevent any splicing or tapping of the wires in the car. If your OE speakers are still good and you want to hold onto them.... I have no suggestion for that piece. I just experimented withy rear deck with some infinity speakers I had laying around.

My only problem is that the OE speakers are 2ohm and all I can find aftermarket anywhere is 4ohm.

Crutchfield is horrible for prices. I know they include all the "extra" but still way too expensive. I use them for information and knowledge to what will be plug and play, and what won't be - that's it. I already ordered four of the brackets for $10 off of eBay.

I think I'm gonna go with some Infinity speakers. I also plan on soldering wires to the new speakers, and then use male bullet connectors to connect to the female plugs coming from the car. That way, not only can I go back to stock, it is connected the best and cleanest way possible.

Also, you can use 4 ohm speakers, you'll just need to turn the volume up a little more.

Last edited by iRide113; 05-24-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
iRide113

Hmm...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...pa-60.9cs.html

Last edited by iRide113; 05-24-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
i had these in my 330ci a few years back, Focal K2 Power 6.5" Component 2-Way Speakers, Model 165KR, powered by a 300/2. needed to do some door cutting to make them fit, but it was well worth the effort
Old 06-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
Riverbmr3

My Ride: MB E350 & BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRide113 View Post
Crutchfield is horrible for prices. I know they include all the "extra" but still way too expensive. I use them for information and knowledge to what will be plug and play, and what won't be - that's it. I already ordered four of the brackets for $10 off of eBay.

I think I'm gonna go with some Infinity speakers. I also plan on soldering wires to the new speakers, and then use male bullet connectors to connect to the female plugs coming from the car. That way, not only can I go back to stock, it is connected the best and cleanest way possible.

Also, you can use 4 ohm speakers, you'll just need to turn the volume up a little more.
bro, can you show me pic of your speaker female and male connectors, sometimes mine comes out...
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:55 AM   #11
iRide113

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoybmr3 View Post
bro, can you show me pic of your speaker female and male connectors, sometimes mine comes out...
Like these, and then you take the male side, and bend them so they fit into the OEM plugs.

Tags
audio, diy, sound, speakers, tweeters