E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #41
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 300K miles
You seem to have more than one thing going on. First, this mechanic with 30 years' experience might have told you about the risk of poly mounts anywhere causing you to feel more. Second, as mentioned, having poly trans. mounts and original rubber motor mounts...you've changed things considerably. You have hard in the rear of engine and soft in the front. I am of the opinion based on lots of reading here that bmw got it right when it put the mounts it did on the car. You thought poly was better, last longer, whatever, and now, given all the poly you have, I hope you also got firmer motor mounts. If you got OE mounts, I suspect you'll still have an issue given the difference in stability between the front and rear of engine.

I don't have the codes memorized, but given that the opinion seems to be vac leak, that's very possible...whether coincidental to all the work you had done or not, I don't know.

If the codes are lean, then vac leak, clogged FF/failing FP, I don't know. Your mechanic should have felt what you felt and it sounds like he's doing what I'd expect most mechanics would do...say it's not anything he did/didn't do and hope you get used to it...but usually it's 'find another part to replace.'

Anyway, on the motor mounts, I think you need to have them as firm as your tranny mounts. Also, I do hope with his 30 years' experience, he mounted the Universal Joint properly (guibo)...one bolt off and he's off by a mile.

Have you been underneath the car to look at things? Maybe shoot some pics of the suspects like guibo and see what we see.

GL, OP...know this is frustrating!

Please view this vid so it looks like I'm popular. Please! https://youtu.be/995gLmVEVZk

dmax on Facebook

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #42
daves325in2012

My Ride: 2004 330cic
Re: mechanic vs forum the CHALLENGE

When the fuel pump fails, OP , it usually just fails, yeah you may see a difference after its changed in performance, but it's usually not going to be noticeable before it fails in there form of shaking unless you are a rarer case than everyone

I can tell you the day of failure, when it was struggling to stay started, it would start shaking bad then the revs would start shaking up and down like a earthquake then I would slow my press gas to floor and it would ever so slightly increase but bog like crazy then just die

Dmax and jfoj are smart and have experience

If it was my car I'd change fuel pump/filter, fuel pressure reg vacume hose, both intake boots, re-seal DISA, do OFHG, valve cover gasket/Vanos

Ofhg and vc/vanos being unlikely to cause issue.. but will be if it you greatly and show you engine condition

Sap hose going to back of engine (at this point you should just look at jfoj's Sig and do it all)

Knock out diff/trans pan drop / filter fluid change because it could only help

Buy some ramps and visually look for problems too

Then, to save money and rule things out, sell old poly mounts and install all new OEM rubber mounting for motor/ trans...considering you will keep the car and its worth saving

Make sure the trans isn't on its way out before the mount part or else you mindfully would be stupid as a swap with a used low mileage box would yield removing mounts anyways

It's was 100$ something bucks

BMA parts is cheapest/ best site using spec30 code

Don't quote me on code accuracy, read jfoj thread

BTW, as t 152k, my OE motor mounts don't vibrate as you describe but your Frankinish combo of mount type may?

No clue good luck

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app

Pretty Facelift on..PSS9\\Alpine 9855\\More
daves325in2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #43
daves325in2012

My Ride: 2004 330cic
Re: mechanic vs forum the CHALLENGE

Belts/pullys too. Made my engine really smooth

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app

Pretty Facelift on..PSS9\\Alpine 9855\\More
daves325in2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #44
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
So,

who won?
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #45
DillonMpower

My Ride: bmw 330 ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You seem to have more than one thing going on. First, this mechanic with 30 years' experience might have told you about the risk of poly mounts anywhere causing you to feel more. Second, as mentioned, having poly trans. mounts and original rubber motor mounts...you've changed things considerably. You have hard in the rear of engine and soft in the front. I am of the opinion based on lots of reading here that bmw got it right when it put the mounts it did on the car. You thought poly was better, last longer, whatever, and now, given all the poly you have, I hope you also got firmer motor mounts. If you got OE mounts, I suspect you'll still have an issue given the difference in stability between the front and rear of engine.

I don't have the codes memorized, but given that the opinion seems to be vac leak, that's very possible...whether coincidental to all the work you had done or not, I don't know.

If the codes are lean, then vac leak, clogged FF/failing FP, I don't know. Your mechanic should have felt what you felt and it sounds like he's doing what I'd expect most mechanics would do...say it's not anything he did/didn't do and hope you get used to it...but usually it's 'find another part to replace.'

Anyway, on the motor mounts, I think you need to have them as firm as your tranny mounts. Also, I do hope with his 30 years' experience, he mounted the Universal Joint properly (guibo)...one bolt off and he's off by a mile.

Have you been underneath the car to look at things? Maybe shoot some pics of the suspects like guibo and see what we see.

GL, OP...know this is frustrating!

UPDATE: SO i replaced the pump, and received the polys for the engine. also went ahead a bought new drive belts and pullys so all will be replaced.

i did the fuel pump my self (30 min job NBD) so i could get the car up and running. and wow what a difference. the first time i turned the car on it ran like ****, no power, slow acceleration, to say the least i was freaked out. so i said f*** it tomorrow is another day. fast forward to the next day. i had to drive to work so i allowed my self extra time incase i had to get towed back or something went wrong.

well to my surprise it ran like new again!!!!! let me clarify, there is still a massive vibration through out the rev band. but idle is smoother, and the slight lack of acceleration that i spoke about in the first post is now gone. the car also starts much better (I use to have to prime it once or twice.)

so now i have the motor mounts and i ordered the last pulley which should arrive tomorrow then on Wednesday i shall have my mechanic install all these parts.

back to the fuel pump. i cleared all my codes after putting the fuel pump and i have yet to have any of the codes i state previously (p4091,P4092, and P430) come back. did this solve those issues ? i was convinced that P4091 and P0492 were not related to this issue.
DillonMpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:41 AM   #46
DillonMpower

well wednesday the challenge will finally have a winner. stay tuned.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #47
DillonMpower

UPDATE: so i had the mounts and pullys put in yesterday and wow what a difference, i still feel vibration but it is 50 percent less and only when i am stationary once the clutch is engaged it feels smooth and like a new BMW!!!! very happy with the step up, not bad harsh at all. anyone considering polys all the way around i would go ahead and do it, i am very happy!

Tags
2000 rpm, misfire, vacuum leak, vibration