E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 05:41 AM   #1
BLACK E46 SMOKE

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330XI
Steering wheel shakes

When I drive at high speed and brake the steering wheel shakes while the car is braking anytime I am in the 45-55MPH range. I changed both front tires and had both tires high speed balanced. Yet problem still persists. Any ideas on what this problem could be?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:45 AM   #2
phildobaggins

My Ride: 2001 325xi Wagon
could be slightly warped brake rotors or control arm bushings
phildobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
Arnezie

My Ride: 04 325XI
Drive shafts ?
Arnezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
Old Rum

My Ride: 11 335i vert 6m
Most likely front brake rotors.
Old Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
Old Rum

When you come to a full stop does the steering wheel turn to the left or right?
Old 04-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
teknokraze

My Ride: 2005 330xi
I had the same problem. Changed my brake rotors and pads. They were bad enough I also had some light vibration in my steering wheel while not under braking. This fixed it though, no more brake wobble or vibration.

Regards...
Old 04-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildobaggins View Post
could be slightly warped brake rotors or control arm bushings
This.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 01 325xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
Gotta agree with those that have said that your front rotors are warped. Why? probably incorrectly/unevenly torqued lug bolts. Solution, new rotors and while at it, I'd also replace the front pads, clean the caliper holder where the pads fit and put a thin coating of never-seize on those areas so that the pads can move more freely, clean and polish the caliper pins and lubricate them and replace the caliper pin rubber guides. Don't forget to glue the backs of the new pads with Disc-Brake Quiet.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
PosingOwl

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Just trying to be clear, when "When you come to a full stop does the steering wheel turn to the left or right?" this happens, is it the rotors then. It has been doing that as well as shaking while braking. Started about a week ago.
PosingOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
Asher454

My Ride: '04 TiAg 325xi
Sounds like it's your FCABS. I had the same exact issue and that immediately resolved it. You may need to do those if you haven't already.

234,XXX......... Factory M54
Asher454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
PosingOwl

I havent but the wheel has been shaking while braking. I will check them but I am sure I need new rotors. Is it ok to replace the fronts wothout the rears? I will try to check the FCABS soon, it could have been the road since they suck here and are so uneven. Right?

Also the shaking started a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by PosingOwl; 05-07-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #12
Old Rum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosingOwl View Post
Just trying to be clear, when "When you come to a full stop does the steering wheel turn to the left or right?" this happens, is it the rotors then. It has been doing that as well as shaking while braking. Started about a week ago.

Yes rotors warped! I can almost guarantee this. I brought mine to my mechanic after this (ive had my car for 10+ years) and he said replace the font and/or back rotors. I replaced both. Now the car is perfectly fine. I'd do the pads as well. Went with OEM and Akebono.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #13
PosingOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rum View Post
Yes rotors warped! I can almost guarantee this. I brought mine to my mechanic after this (ive had my car for 10+ years) and he said replace the font and/or back rotors. I replaced both. Now the car is perfectly fine. I'd do the pads as well. Went with OEM and Akebono.
Thats what I was thinking.... I was talking with one of my customers and he said the same. He also said that I can take it to a mechanic and they would be able to shave it down to make it flat again. If that makes sense. If I need to I can purchase the fronts now and then have to wait like a month for the rears, would that be fine and do they need to be exact/matching rotors for the front and rear, if I went that direction?

Last edited by PosingOwl; 05-07-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #14
Old Rum

I bet you could shave them down, but for the cost of parts, might as well just replace them- I think the whole cost was $400 and maybe twice that for the complete install. My problem is my work schedule- I didnt want to rely on just doing the front if the was a chance the back was causing the issue- so just to be sure that this would fix it, I did both. My mechanic said my warping was so bad that he wouldn't be able to tell if just the front change would fix the problem. My steering wheel literally turned like 45 degrees when stopping hard.

I would definitely do matching rotors without a doubt and change the pads if you havent in the past two/three years miles- I mean the labor for that is basically $50 once the wheels and all are off the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosingOwl View Post
Thats what I was thinking.... I was talking with one of my customers and he said the same. He also said that I can take it to a mechanic and they would be able to shave it down to make it flat again. If that makes sense. If I need to I can purchase the fronts now and then have to wait like a month for the rears, would that be fine and do they need to be exact/matching rotors for the front and rear, if I went that direction?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #15
PosingOwl

The only problem I have right now is that I might have enough money for fronts and rears... I put most of my money away in another bank (savings) that I do not have a card for and I have to drive to... lol that way I cant buy anything on impulse really.... I do have enough to order fronts.

Last edited by PosingOwl; 05-07-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:38 PM   #16
PosingOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntr1234 View Post
maybe add no non bmws or we can have a seperate section for non bmws
I am not understanding this....
Old 07-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #17
BLACK E46 SMOKE

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330XI
Changed front rotors and now braking is extremely smooth. Still very slight shaking at high speeds but mechanic showed me that both of my control arm bushings need to be replaces. There is play in them. I guess this is causing the slight vibration. Correct?
Old 07-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Yes. Most likely.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, front end, shaking, steering