HELP 330i won't start! Can't seam to diagnose - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
bimmergirl43

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Unhappy HELP 330i won't start! Can't seam to diagnose

Hello all,
I hate to make a new thread but I can't find one that follows the problems i've been having.....So please help and dont be bitter about my noobness lol

So one night after work I was going up a pretty steep hill and I was trying to pass a person up this hill so I accelerated (it wasn't even that bad like i wasn't flooring it) anyways all of the sudden my check engine light comes on......
drive my car home and park it nbd
the next day it will not start. It will not turn over.
tried to diagnose it and still ify on this idea that it was the fuel pump.
Here's why I thought that:
My dad sprayed something(idkwhat iwasn't there) into it and it started right up apparently
and I watched a video about diagnosing fuel pump and It seamed to be the same problem as my car

So I ordered a fuel pump, which I now have sitting in the box waiting to be returned or not..

Then went out to mess with it and check the fuel pump again and it started?!

THEN my dad took it to orielly's and read the Check engine light (lol idk why i did this second and not first) anways, once again i wasn't there, but it read something like bad gas.... which is ironic so i must explain
for 2 months I put regular unleaded in it (bad choice, i know)
then a week ago filled it with Premium and then this problem occured (idk if its related)

So after that we put the fuel cleaner stuff in it and filled it with a nice full tank of premium gas. Then I drove it like 3 miles to walmart, parked and then came out and it started and I didn't even make it out of the parking lot before it died and then it would not start after that. annnnd here we are.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
What do I need to check? I would like to DIY as much as possible.
bimmergirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci
How old is the fuel filter?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
kd7iwp

My Ride: 2001 325i
You mentioned that when you first had the problem that it would not even turn over. That sounds to me like a battery or starter. However, if it started on subsequent attempts and didn't run well I would guess the fuel pump. There are ways to test the fuel pump if you search and I would assume that if you turned the key to the run position you would hear the fuel pump for a second or two. Might need to get under the car to listen for a whine.
kd7iwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
lszlszx

My Ride: 1.8T, XC70
It's not unusual for a fuel pump to come back to life before it finally dies.

If the starter cranks and the engine doesn't start, the most common issue is a bad fuel pump.

There is no such thing as a "bad gas" code.
Next time get the exact code, even better buy your own scanner.

See my No start thread for more info!

GM No Reverse - posts 427, 439

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Fuel pump or bad load of gasoline.

Not sure what areas of the country have had all the flooding, but this along with other things can lead to contaminated fuel.

If you have the fuel pump, install it, the car needs it anyway. Once this is done, the car will either be fine or you will still have issues.

Then you can move on knowing the fuel pump is not likely the cause of your problems.

FYI, wise to replace the fuel pumps on these cars by year 8 if you do not want to be left stranded. Just a fact of like, change the pump on your schedule or the cars schedule. You choose.

Read the 2nd link in my signature and you will see just a few people have had fuel pump problems!

Most think the fuel pump average life span is about 5000 hours. Keep in mind, every second the engine is running, the fuel pump is running, even when the car is not moving ie at a traffic light or stop and go traffic. So mileage is not a key indicator of fuel pump life.

So assuming the car is driving an average of 2 hours as day, not highly unlikely. 2 hours x 365 days x 8 years = 5840 hours!!

Your car is 14-15 years old, the fuel pump does not owe you anything.

Understand the math??

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 07-24-2014 at 09:58 PM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
bimmergirl43

Thanks all!
ISZLSZX -- I found your post VERY helpful and I checked out your thread about no starts and it is amazing and very helpful!!!
I will be installing the new fuel pump tomorrow and hopefully that fixes it! I'll keep yall posted.

As far as the code reading goes, I don't know what it read but they explained it to me as it was a tank of bad gas... but even after putting new gas in and using the engine cleaner stuff it still wont start and does all the same things.
plus after reading that no start post, we did inject it with starter fluid and it revved up just like you said so that is another indicator of the fuel pump, and now that i know they can crap out but still start up another time or two then that erases my concern about it still starting those couple of times.
not sure if the fuel pump has EVER been replaced, I just got the car a few months ago. So i'm sure it's due. My car has 122k miles on it....

Speaking of, does anyone know any thread about what you should check after X amount of miles?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #7
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
You need your OWN OBDII code reader.

For $35 or less a smart phone OBDII App and interface is an INVALUABLE tool.

There is no such thing as a code for a bad tank of gas. Other than random misfire codes, I am not even sure how someone would come to the conclusion the problem was bad fuel.

As usual whomever provide this information should work at the local video rental store (yes they are likely no longer around) and not a store involved with cars.

There are few people that really understand OBDII codes, what they mean and how they are triggered.

You might want read this thread - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967204

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 07-24-2014 at 11:36 PM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
This is a big boy's car and needs big boy money to maintain. You should have $3,000 cash sitting in a box to make this car decently reliable and nice to drive. This is a requirement on every used E46 purchase unless receipts or other proof is provided that shows recent replacements of said parts. See the maintenance link in my sig and get to work!

Follow the links in my sig and you'll never experience a problem in your lifetime!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Mango
e46mango.com

BTW, replace your fuel pump.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
bimmergirl43

UPDATE
I put the new fuel pump in and it started! So far so good.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci
Ummm, you'd be doing your new pump by replacing the filter. This is very overlooked and probably not replaced by the previous owner.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
bimmergirl43

Well my car has been starting and working pretty good but today I was at a red light and i looked down and didn't notice it turn green so when i looked back up I kind of revved it a little hard and then that light came on with the triangle with the exclamation point and the arrow going in a circle around it....
Old 07-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #13
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
Year: 2003
Model: 325i
Transmission: AT
Your traction control kicked in.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'03 325 Estoril Blue with some love from:
Turner, ECS, Remus, BMW Performance, G.A.S.,
Beisan, Umnitza, TRS, Radium Engineering,
Bilstein, AP Coilovers, Remsa, Whiteline,
Ground Control, APEX Wheels and more!
KendrickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #14
bimmergirl43

haha thanks that makes me feel so noob. but i kinda am i guess at this car at least...
but then it is confirmed that it was my fuel pump, all is working well now.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #15
Mango
e46mango.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmergirl43 View Post
Well my car has been starting and working pretty good but today I was at a red light and i looked down and didn't notice it turn green so when i looked back up I kind of revved it a little hard and then that light came on with the triangle with the exclamation point and the arrow going in a circle around it....
get better tires
Old 07-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #16
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
Year: 2003
Model: 325i
Transmission: AT
New tyres will fix that. Don't cheap out on them since they're the only thing the sticks you on the road.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'03 325 Estoril Blue with some love from:
Turner, ECS, Remus, BMW Performance, G.A.S.,
Beisan, Umnitza, TRS, Radium Engineering,
Bilstein, AP Coilovers, Remsa, Whiteline,
Ground Control, APEX Wheels and more!
KendrickC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad gas, engine died, fuel pump, mechanical problems, won't start