E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Seirith

My Ride: 01 330ci
Angry Help. Cranking hard start. tried everything

2001 330ci

Ok, to start with. I have ready through approximately 100 threads on the subject with no success before admitting defeat on my own and starting a new thread. I know this subject has been covered a lot, but i just can't find the issue and could use some outside brainpower.

Issue: When the car sits overnight, or for more than 4 hours, it takes about 20-30 seconds of cranking to start the car. It's been getting progressively longer for months now.

I bought the car with a bunch of issues, intending to fix them all. As follows is a list of things I have changed, tested, or cleaned in the process.

Checked DISA function - fine
Removed and cleaned throttlebody
Cleaned MAF sensor (with correct cleaner)
Replaced CCV and all corresponding pipes and hoses (fixed a lot of other issues)
Replaced upper intake boot and inspected lower for any holes.
Replaced battery
Replaced Vanos seals and gasket
replaced valve cover gasket
checked fuel pump relay under dash (fine)
Did NOT replace fuel pump yet (but I hear it turn on every time I turn the key to position 2)
Replaced three bad ignition coils
replaced all spark plugs (bosch 4 platinum)
replaced a LOT of the coolant system (still has a leak somewhere - annoying..)
Replaced transmission (reverse went on the old one)
Injectors not leaking (pulled them out and charged the system for five minutes, nothing leaked
Did not replace the fuel filter yet

The really odd bit of all this is that once the engine starts up, after starting to fire on all cylinders, (which takes revving it up once or twice) it runs like a damn race car (similar to how I drive it..) It never stalls, hesitates, or anything

I read that an issue can be loss of pressure in the cylinders thanks to something called "fuel wash" starting the car for a short period of time and then turning it off. i haven't had the time to research how to compression test myself but that may be next.

Also, my euro mechanic (who also has no idea) said that the car is losing fuel pressure overnight. Haven't addressed that yet.

Honestly I have no idea at this point, and while i have no issue replacing and fixing stuff. I just have no idea what to fix at this point.

Thanks

Last edited by Seirith; 08-21-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Seirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Seirith

Forgot to mention that a smoke test was preformed, no vacuum leaks were found.

Also not throwing any codes either.

Last edited by Seirith; 08-21-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Ditch the Bosch plugs and use NKG plugs only. Search for this forum for the taught plugs.

It sounds like the fuel pump is on its last leg. Really. I'd change:
- pump
- fuel filter
- 6 fuel hoses and clamps at filter

For the last item make sure you use OEM fuel system pressure hose only. Don't buy crap from Pep Boys, autozone, etc.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
Seirith

Thanks, Yeah, i'm probably going to change them in that order. Doesn't it seem odd though that the car would be fine otherwise during normal operation? Here is the other thing. If I start the car an hour after it was previously started. It turns right over..

Last edited by Seirith; 08-21-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
LesHoward

My Ride: 2000 328ci
switch

There is a Switch/resistor located by the ECU/fusible links... $10 Bucks..Worked for me.. 2000 328CI,,,,crank. crank, no start..
LesHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Seirith

Thanks, i'll have to check that out when I get home.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
If its losing fuel pressure overnight then there is your problem. Next time you go to start it, turn the key to run but not start and let it sit there for 10-15 seconds then try and start it. If it starts right up, that confirms the loss of pressure. Then you just gotta figure out where its going.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
Seirith

Unfortunately, I tried that too. Same issue. I have ordered a new pump, filter and camshaft sensor and will replace them in one fell swoop. i'll also look for that switch/resistor by the ECU. I'm thinking that the fuel pressure valve on the filter may be bad. Who knows. The gas really has no where else to leak from, other than hoses. And I don't see or smell any petrol under the car when it's off. And if that doesn't do it.. The car is going the way of old yeller. A shame too, it just came out of paint, new m3 bumper, m3 skirts, new csl rep rims powdered black.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Seirith

So no luck with the pump, filter, and camshaft sensor. Still cranks and misfires on most of the cylinders on start up for about 20 seconds.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:16 AM   #10
happyfelthappy

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i Sport
is there a fuel pressure regulator on these cars?

Previous Cars:
95 Nissan 240SX Auto -First Car :) / 91 Camaro RS 5.0 Manual / 99 BMW 323i Manual / 1984 Porsche 944 / And others..

Current:
2001 BMW 330i M Tech I Sport / 2001 Jaguar XJ8 L 4.0 V8 (Daily, gas guzzler)

Parts wanted '01 330i
-Electric Fan -Windshield Cowl -Front lower control arm bushings -Air intake manifold (on radiator support) -Oil level sensor
happyfelthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
Seirith

Yes, it's attached to the fuel filter that was just replaced. I did notice a noise yesterday, like a dying fan sound (but not a dying fan) coming from the region of the ICV and throttlebody when you key is in position 2. not sure what it is. am going to look into it. I also looked around by the ecu and didn't see anything that appeared to be burnt or bad.

Tags
cranking, hard start, no start, not starting