E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
alexjblake

My Ride: 316i SE
Angry E46 Starting Problem, What To Do Next?

So I've been trawling forums for weeks now trying to pinpoint my E46's starting problem. It's a 316i SE 1.8 with 97k serviced in January that most times has problems starting, it cranks fine but won't start and will take 2 to 4 times before starting. Some days it's fine and will start others it will put up a real fight!
  • Everything drives fine
  • Idles smooth
  • MPG around 31
  • Fuel pump audible on startup
  • New fuel filter 1.5years ago
  • RPM bounces between 0 and 300ish whilst cranking

After many attempts on Thursday it started and I manged to get home (From Glasgow to Aberdeenshire) with no problems and into the safe haven of the garage. https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1ny7q0tgj...58.33.jpg?dl=0

On Saturday we checked the spark plugs, they were replaced in January this year and had about 5,000 miles on them but they were pretty thick with black soot (suggesting a rich running or lots and lots of stop starting driving) so we replaced them with the recommended ones but it had little effect on the start-ability of the car.

We had another play around and pulled the following codes:

P1345 Misfire Cylinder 2 With Fuel Cut-off
P1341 Multiple Cylinder Misfire With Fuel Cut-off
P1347 Misfire Cylinder 3 With Fuel Cut-off

To try and rule of the ignition coils we swapped 1 with 2 and 3 with 4 but again had starting troubles and got the next set of codes :

P1345 Misfire Cylinder 2 With Fuel Cut-off
P1341 Multiple Cylinder Misfire With Fuel Cut-off
P1343 Misfire Cylinder 1 with Fuel Cut Off

This didn't come up with many answers so we swapped the coils around randomly this evening and no new codes have been coming through. Something we did notice was that it looked like the plastic on the coil had been exposed to a fair heat, ie the plastic wasn't a uniform texture and that the groves went from fine straight lines to a kind of molted merging. I've tried to take photos of it and although they look wet I can assure you they are bone dry!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6iq8ekjdp...53.55.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aicf0qspco...54.13.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1dse95licm...54.29.jpg?dl=0

We took it along to a garage (a well spoken of local indy who clearly had experience with the N42 engine) and wouldn't you know it the car started every time whilst it was with him!!!

We're at a total loss as to what it could be now, coils are still a possibility we think - maybe one is acting up periodically? Or another suggestion from the mech was the timing chain inside the casing. The plastic guides have been known to crack and loose tension but that's a big job.

Anyone got any ideas or comments that could help pin point this? All gratefully received!_a_
alexjblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.

Tags
316i, e46, ignition, problem, starting