E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #1
sgraham92

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
Need Troubleshooting Help

Let me start off by saying I have searched for hours and learned a lot but also thoroughly confused myself so hopefully the immense knowledge of e46fanatics can help me out here.

I have two issues. First, I get P0171/P0174 lean codes but only at interstate speeds and generally after driving for several hours. Second, I have the well documented hesitation at 2500-3000 rpms that is worst at about 1/2-3/4 throttle in 3rd gear. Feels like the car is bucking.

I bought the car about 6 weeks ago with 90k miles and have been slowly replacing and fixing maintenance type things. After my research I am tempted to say I have a failing MAF. I followed a thread on how to check it with VE calculations but that is where I got confused. I was getting over 100% which is impossible. I will make another log tomorrow and try to redo the calculations but thought I may get some good advice here.

I have not yet replaced the MAF, DISA, Fuel Filter or Vanos Seals. All things I plan to do as I have the time and money.

Here is the log I made tonight. Maybe it will make more sense for other people. There are three full throttle 1st gear runs in there after a brief trip around the neighborhood so the car would be warm.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...D4wfDo/pubhtml_a_
sgraham92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i, '11 Z435i
With lean codes the majority of them are unmetered air leaks not MAF issues. From most to least likely, it's the intake boots - especially the elbow off the lower one - the seal around the DISA, and then various other spots like CVV or valve cover gasket.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
I would replace the fuel pump and filter before I would replace the MAF.

MAF may be an issue, but a bad MAF will not leave you stranded and if the fuel pump is soft, it will cause problems like you have.

Suggest you read the first 2 links below in my signature.

You may also be in need of a DME flash, but this will not be the cause of Lean codes, this is something to consider if you still have 2500-3000 RPM issues after you have resolved the Lean issues.

Fuel pump is $125 shipped from www.bmaparts.com using SPECE30 discount code and standard shipping you will usually have it in 2 days. You will need 1 small worm drive hose clamp and it will take no more than 30 minutes to replace. Just make sure the fuel level is 3/4 tank or lower and you will be fine.

Also note that you cannot really test MAF volume with 1st gear runs, usually 3rd gear pulls are required, but I RARELY even bother with this type of measurement as there are sometimes too many variables. Also when MAF's usually fail and UNDER report the fuel mixture, not over report the fuel mixture, but they can fail in a way they over report, but not by a big margin.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 01-05-2015 at 04:46 PM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
sgraham92

I did see the information about a DME flash for the hesitation I have. I just ordered a new fuel pump and filter that I should have in a few days. Hopefully that fixes my issues and I don't have to pay the stealership an absurd amount of money to flash my DME. I saw in your first thread in your sig that highway speed lean codes are often different than normal driving lean codes. What are the usual suspects for the highway speed variety?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:31 AM   #5
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraham92 View Post
I did see the information about a DME flash for the hesitation I have. I just ordered a new fuel pump and filter that I should have in a few days. Hopefully that fixes my issues and I don't have to pay the stealership an absurd amount of money to flash my DME. I saw in your first thread in your sig that highway speed lean codes are often different than normal driving lean codes. What are the usual suspects for the highway speed variety?
DME flash should be the absolute LAST thing you do. It may help even if you have everything replaced that needs to be replaced, but it WILL NOT resolve your Lean codes.

Highway cruise Lean codes are typically fuel pump or MAF problems. The issue is it is often hard to determine which may be at fault.

The car WILL need a fuel pump sooner than later, it WILL fail and it WILL leave you stranded and it is cheaper than a MAF.

Even if the fuel pump does not resolve your problem, you will have that checked off and out of the picture and you WILL be glad that you will not get stranded due to a failure.

If you do not know the cars history someone may have already replaced the MAF with an Asian counterfeit unit that could be causing your problems as well.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:56 PM   #6
sgraham92

Thanks for the awesome responses jfoj. Seriously this forum is amazing because of people like you. I definitely don't like the idea of being stranded on the side of the road so I will be replacing that pump and filter as soon as it gets here. Again thanks for the help.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:56 PM   #7
sgraham92

A little update. I just drove 500 miles yesterday after replacing both the fuel pump and filter. The hesitation is still there and the codes came back about half way through the trip. This time I got three codes not the usual two. I usually just get P0171/P0174 but I also got P2227 this time. In the research I did, this points to MAF correct?

I also have a slight issue at idle. I have had it since owning the car but it seems to have gotten worse with the cold. When the car sits at idle it will drop about 50 rpm on the gauge and sounds like it might stall then return to normal. It does this every couple of seconds but with no codes associated with it.

You said that you can't test an MAF with first gear pulls but is there an effective way to test it or do we just replace it when it looks like the culprit?
Old 01-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
kkasson

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraham92 View Post
I also have a slight issue at idle. I have had it since owning the car but it seems to have gotten worse with the cold. When the car sits at idle it will drop about 50 rpm on the gauge and sounds like it might stall then return to normal. It does this every couple of seconds but with no codes associated with it.
Does this happen only when the car is cold? I have a similar issue that's due to the VANOS...if your issue happens on every cold start, then before you start the car unplug the two VANOS electrical connectors and see if the idle is smooth. Then turn the car off, plug them back in, and start it again and see if it returns.

It might be something else causing your problem, and I'm sure jfoj will help you figure it out if so, but this is a quick test you could try.

Last edited by kkasson; 01-11-2015 at 06:18 PM.
kkasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #9
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
You have a vacuum leak. Period! Have the intake smoke tested for leaks. That's the only way to find all of the leaks.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maf