Manual Transmission Leak - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
ZWis212

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Manual Transmission Leak

I recently purchased a 2003 325xi with a 5 speed manual. I know I should have gotten it checked out or something before buying but he said there was a very small oil leak but not enough to notice while checking the oil. He said he had someone look at it and it was a tube running under or around transmission/engine or something. So I changed the oil a couple weeks ago and I've noticed that it has been leaking on the ground. But whenever I check oil, it hasn't moved at all. The color of the fluid leaking is a brown color that looks exactly like engine oil.

I have noticed that lately my shifting has been giving me some trouble. If I roll into a stoplight or stop sign in neutral and completely stop, then go to shift into first gear, it feels as if there is a wall to get into first. It won't shift into it unless I let off the brake and move a little bit and the wall goes away. My shifting into the other gears has been a little rougher too.

He gave me receipts and a new clutch flywheel was replaced around 25k miles ago. I'm wondering if it could actually be transmission fluid leaking out. I'm going to change the transmission fluid here shortly to see if that's the problem. I know I've seen people talking about changing the oil makes a huge difference in shifting.

Is there anything else I should look at? Would it be okay for me to drive around with all 3 skid plates removed from under engine/transmission for a while so I can actually find where its leaking? I can't see **** with them on and they leak on the ground in the same spot every time because of them. Any ideas or tips would be helpful. Or would it be worth it to take to an indie shop and have them look at it and find the leak.
ZWis212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Don't drive around with the chassis plates removed. They are structural and there for a reason. Your problems are engine mounts, transmission mounts, shifter bushings. It never hurts to change the gearbox oil but that's not the 'wall' you're talking about. The 'wall' is sloppy shifter bushings and collapsed drivetrain mountings. They make it difficult to shift. Whatever leakage you're seeing is something else. Clean the engine thoroughly and trace the leak.

Last edited by hitbyastick; 04-26-2015 at 12:39 PM.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Richardlance

My Ride: 01 325I sport
try bleeding your brake and clutch fluid light brown liquid may be old brake fluid. the leaking maybe even coming from the slave cylinder or some where like that possibly. I know this wall you were talking about releasing the clutch and pushing it back in sometimes works too I just did a brake and clutch bleed. hoping this would help. hadn't thought of shift bushing and mounts.... sounds like my next project that along with a flex disk cuz I can see cracks. changing out my fluids has improved feel Alot tho.

Last edited by Richardlance; 04-26-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Richardlance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
It could be a leaking transfer case. Check the seals and drain/fill plug
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
325xi, engine, leak, oil, transmission oil