E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
frankie1220

My Ride: 2004 325i
Unhappy Shaky steering, right side drag, brake smell = unknown problem

I'll try to make this short. Please hit me up with some possible problems.

Problems:
drag to right side causing me to constantly correct at ALL times - it's not really bad, it'll just slowly steer me right
brake smell after a drive on the right side.
shaky steering wheel accompanied by audible shakiness and feeling of whole car being shaky or vibrating especially at 50mph and above
right steer and shaky steering can occur from 30mph and above.
On and off occurrence of above said problems (EXCEPT the right steer, that one's always there). Bumps on the road may cause or cure shaky steering/cabin

Fixes I've had done lately and not to long ago and not at the same time:
front suspension changed - this one was wrongfully changed because they thought it would fix problems but it didn't
front rotors changed - this was changed after suspension change didn't work out, they concluded it was uneven so they changed it. problems temporarily resolved but then later on reoccurred.
new front ceramic brakes - no known fixes, just needed a new pair but might need a new one again because it seems like they're getting worn out because of these problems.
wheel alignment - which fixed the right steer and that brake smell but after a month problems came back
tire rotation - which did not fix the problems

My main concern is the steering vibration. It comes and goes during 30-60 mph. I thought it would be tires or tire balance issues but given the fact that driving on rough roads can make the vibration completely disappear on and off make me suspect otherwise. Any thoughts would be appreciated Thanks in advance.
frankie1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
rsyed07

My Ride: E92 335is, E46 330i
You have a sticking brake caliper. A very common E46 problem. Replace the caliper or rebuild the piston in the caliper.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #3
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Sounds like it. Rebuild kits are fairly cheap.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #4
Loaded325i

My Ride: bmw 325i
Depends on your tool set. You need to take the piston out of the brake calipers and clean the rust out. Then replace the seal. Pretty easy. If you can't do this rock auto has some decent rebuilt units. I've had luck with those on customer vehicles.
2004 BMW 325i CW,PP and Sports Package
1996 toyota avalon-263,000-Sold
2003 Lexus Is300-Sold
2000 Acura TL-Sold
2000 Accord 5 speed-Sold
Loaded325i is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, shake, steering, vibrate