E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2015, 02:06 AM   #1
Fratt3

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
moonroof issue

So my moonroof does work, it opens and closes fully but when I press or even hold any of the buttons, the roof only moves about an inch at a time, I just have to keep pushing the button like 15 times to get it fully open lol but anyway opening, closing, or tilting the roof only moves a small amount each time the button is pressed...
Anyone have any idea what's going on with it? Or anyway I can fix this cuz I've stopped using it just cuz of the hassle but I would really like to start using it again

Any help is greatly appreciated guys, thanks
Fratt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:54 AM   #2
bmwKW

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Same my issue. I will have replace slide.
bmwKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
ANDY325C3

My Ride: 325ci coupe
My roof did a similar thing and it eventually jammed fully open! There are 4 sprung clips that hold the blind in the mechanism which come slightly out of place, then when there is resistance the anti trap feature activates and the motor stops the roof from sliding back in stages. In my case I couldn't get the roof closed again as the clips had completely jammed. I was quoted around USD $1500 by BMW to replace it but managed to get one from the breakers for $75. When I removed the old one the clips were completely mashed up so I removed the blind before fitting the new one (which is a nightmare to do on your own because the moonroof cartridge is literally the full size of the roof). I don`t know if this would cause problems when tilting though so I would probably change the motor first and hope that works.
ANDY325C3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #4
bmwKW

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDY325C3 View Post
My roof did a similar thing and it eventually jammed fully open! There are 4 sprung clips that hold the blind in the mechanism which come slightly out of place, then when there is resistance the anti trap feature activates and the motor stops the roof from sliding back in stages. In my case I couldn't get the roof closed again as the clips had completely jammed. I was quoted around USD $1500 by BMW to replace it but managed to get one from the breakers for $75. When I removed the old one the clips were completely mashed up so I removed the blind before fitting the new one (which is a nightmare to do on your own because the moonroof cartridge is literally the full size of the roof). I don`t know if this would cause problems when tilting though so I would probably change the motor first and hope that works.

How you access replace the 4 slides? First remove moonroof?
bmwKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #5
ANDY325C3

My Ride: 325ci coupe
It was about 10 years ago when I did it I cant remember which side it was bolted from, but I took the sliding blind out of the new roof before fitting so it was out of the car anyway. If I remember right the old roof was beyond repair after the blind got jammed as it mangled the runners. Getting the roof cartridge out is quite tricky, the roof lining and associated parts such as lights visors etc all have to be removed, the A B and C pillars have to come out along with the seat belts. I took all the headrests out and folded the front seats flat and somehow managed to get the headlining out through the front door. the cartridge is bolted along all sides into the roof it can then be dropped out the same way.
ANDY325C3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
Fratt3

Someone else has mentioned to me that the switch may be bad, would that make sense or not? Or do u think it's just the safety thing activating?
Old 07-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
bmwporscheman

My Ride: E30
I thing it lost its initialization.hold the switch in the up position, the roof has to run from close to open and close while holding the switch so its knows its end positions.
bmwporscheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
Fratt3

Even if I hold the switch it only moves like an inch, it takes like 5 pushes to pop it up nd like 15 to slide it open or closed, holding the switch does nothing different then pressing it, it's there any way to check the switch nd motor to see if they are each working properly?
Old 07-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #9
Fratt3

And also the roof no longer opens or closes when u hold unlock to roll windows down or turn the key to lock to roll windows up...
Old 07-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #10
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I would clean and lubricate everything if it opens. You can Google videos to see what to do.

Many threads suggest white lithium grease. When my airbag was replaced I picked up a tube of Special Grease RHF. Bring the part number. The guy I spoke with did not know it existed and I have no clue what he was trying to sell me. This is what BMW recommends. Part number 83-19-2-157-321. It was less than $6.00 for a tube.

That should be done anyway.

Also, try this reset method of resetting the moonroof. http://www.bmwgm5.com/E46_Moonroof.htm

This is quick and easy and I would try it before digging around and replacing parts.

Tags
moonroof, moves a little at a time, problem, sunroof