E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #21
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
There is a plastic water pipe under the intake that connects to a rubber hose which connects to the heater control valve.

Remove your under shield, warm your car up. Jack up your car and see where it may leaking.

There is also a temperature sensor under the intake at the back. Have not heard of any leaking.

BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #22
Thate46Life

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Is it hard to see the pipes under the intake?
Thate46Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #23
venerated

My Ride: 325xi / Mazda3
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0215

That diagram might help. Could be #5, which is a rubber hose that connects to the side of your expansion tank or #6, which is an aluminum hose. #6 is back by the firewall, in the middle of the car. #5 connects to the firewall near the driver's side. Try taking both skid plates off, if you haven't, otherwise it could be pooling in one spot and leaking from another spot.
venerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #24
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thate46Life View Post
I'll replace the o ring but I do not think it is that as my heater and ac do not work now and my heater hasn't worked since I got this leak and I don't see the little o ring on my temp sensor doing all that.
Heater probably does not work because there is air in the cooling system.,

AC not working, probably not related unless low on Freon or an electrical problem.

O-ring in lower radiator hose connection usually only leaks when the engine is cool and sometimes will not even leave a puddle on the ground as it leaks on top of the lower engine cover, if it does leak on the ground, it can leak on the other side depending on how level the car is parked.

It could very well be the plastic coolant pipes under the intake, but the the O-ring is a 10 minute, $3 job and then refill and bleed coolant system and see what happens.

Or you can spend an hour or more tearing apart the car looking for a leak under the intake.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #25
Thate46Life

On my car the return hose (#5) goes into some kind of valve if I remember correctly.
When I get home I'll take a photo of the valve.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #26
Thate46Life

I'm going to replace the temp sensor o ring for good measure. But I highly dough it's the actual problem. My heater has a sweet smell like if your heater core is broken, but I don't have any leaks in the car.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #27
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thate46Life View Post
Is it hard to see the pipes under the intake?
Yes, but it ends near the firewall and connects to a rubber hose that turns to the front and connects to the HCV.

Just trying to give you some real life suggestions. Based on where you say the leak is, it could be coming from that area.

It certainly could be leaking there rather than the sensor o ring.

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptainE46.com
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:42 AM   #28
Thate46Life

Could it be the HCV? Tomorrow morning I'm gonna take off the intake box and have a look and go from there. I'll also take a photo of the plastic valve that I found under there. I found a video on YouTube of how to replace the part I think your talking about.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:43 AM   #29
Thate46Life

Here's the video I found.

Last edited by Thate46Life; 07-28-2015 at 01:44 AM.

Tags
323ci, coolant, hose, leak, overheating