E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
CREAO

My Ride: 2001 325i
18x9 (F) 18x10 (B) Fitment - 2001 325i

Hey guys, someone is selling TSW Max's as a set w/ tires (80%+ tread) for $600. I'm looking to buy them, but I know the e46 m3 (his car) has a more aggressive offset stock than Non-M cars. I've been doing a lot of research and it's driving me up a wall. I'm trying to figure out if a 18x9 ET40 will fit in the front, and if the 18x10 ET45 will fit in the back. I feel like the front will fit, but not the rear but I'm not exactly sure. I'd be willing to roll fenders. Now, I have yet to get the tire sizes from him so I will make a reply for that later. Again, I tried doing all the research I could take before I'm posting.

Thank you,
Sergio C.

Last edited by CREAO; 07-29-2015 at 09:12 PM.
CREAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
What's the Exact F&R tire sizes ???

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
CREAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
What's the Exact F&R tire sizes ???

Rob43
Still have yet to hear back from seller, currently I just have the rim sizes. What tire sizes would I need?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
Rob43
OEM ///Member

In this case it's more a question (IMO) of tire size than wheel / offset size. Try to get the Exact F&R sizes as soon as possible, knowing this will help me try to calculate this for you. I think you'll "probably" be able to pull this off.

Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #5
CREAO

Quote:
In this case it's more a question (IMO) of tire size than wheel / offset size. Try to get the Exact F&R sizes as soon as possible, knowing this will help me try to calculate this for you. I think you'll "probably" be able to pull this off.

Rob43
Completely understood, and completely agreed as well! I know this one is pushing it close, but the price is really cheap and in my price range so I'm hoping it turns out well. So, Out of curiousity (since I am waiting), will the 2.5l be able to handle the extremely wide width? I've heard multiple things on "yes, it can." or "no, it can't." Also keep hearing a lot of gandering with the "your speedometer will be slightly off.". If that's true, how could I fix this? Or if you/anybody knows a link?

Last edited by CREAO; 07-29-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
Rob43
OEM ///Member

All good questions. I've always used style 68 wheels F 7.5" x 17 (et41) & R 8.5" x 17 (et50) with their corresponding tire sizes F 225/45 & R 245/40, with a weight of F 21 lbs & R 22 lbs as my go to Non-M reference point.

For me, & what I try to tell others is if you can get a tire & wheel package close to the 40 lbs mark (or under), you'll feel like your driving a new/better performing car. The flip side to this is if you increase the weight beyond stock, performance you suffer quickly. Gearing is another overlooked issue is if you can get things just a little bit under 25 inches, a slightly smaller overall diameter (to a point) will be like changing your diff ratio by 2 or 3 % which for performance reasons is a very good thing. Again the flip side is to increase the overall diameter past 25", then you're doing the opposite which yields less performance.

So typically these bigger wheel & tire packages slow down the performance of a 325Ci/i.

I could recommend a setup that would perform really well, i'd go as far as saying that you thought I gave your Bimmer 20 extra HP. The problem is two fold, 1) Double the price, 2) You won't like the way they look.

You can't have your cake & eat it too,
Rob43

Quote:
Old 07-29-2015, 11:00 PM   #7
CREAO

Quote:
All good questions. I've always used style 68 wheels F 7.5" x 17 (et41) & R 8.5" x 17 (et50) with their corresponding tire sizes F 225/45 & R 245/40, with a weight of F 21 lbs & R 22 lbs as my go to Non-M reference point.

For me, & what I try to tell others is if you can get a tire & wheel package close to the 40 lbs mark (or under), you'll feel like your driving a new/better performing car. The flip side to this is if you increase the weight beyond stock, performance you suffer quickly. Gearing is another overlooked issue is if you can get things just a little bit under 25 inches, a slightly smaller overall diameter (to a point) will be like changing your diff ratio by 2 or 3 % which for performance reasons is a very good thing. Again the flip side is to increase the overall diameter past 25", then you're doing the opposite which yields less performance.

So typically these bigger wheel & tire packages slow down the performance of a 325Ci/i.

I could recommend a setup that would perform really well, i'd go as far as saying that you thought I gave your Bimmer 20 extra HP. The problem is two fold, 1) Double the price, 2) You won't like the way they look.

You can't have your cake & eat it too,
Rob43
Ohhh okay, I see those on a few Bimmers! But okay, I, for the most part, understand as to what you are saying and will keep this in mind.

I kind of figured that they'd slow the car down, unfortunately. But, what can we do? Lol.

Hey, I'm always open to recommendations! Let's hear what you got.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:13 PM   #8
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREAO View Post
Ohhh okay, I see those on a few Bimmers! But okay, I, for the most part, understand as to what you are saying and will keep this in mind.

I kind of figured that they'd slow the car down, unfortunately. But, what can we do? Lol.

Hey, I'm always open to recommendations! Let's hear what you got.
If you want the "look" that the bigger wheels & tires will give, there's nothing you can do about the Physics.

I'd recommend D-Force LTW5 17 X 8" wheels (~16 lbs) & about $1K for the set. The lightest street tires I know of, which happen to be cheap & have a slightly smaller outside diameter would be the Sumitomo HTR Z II in a 235/40-17 at roughly $350 for the set shipped. The combined weight is Well Under 40 lbs, so about 10 lbs LESS than stock Per Wheel/tire which will feel crazy incredible.

Rob43

Quote:

Last edited by Rob43; 07-29-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:26 PM   #9
CREAO

Quote:
If you want the "look" that the bigger wheels & tires will give, there's nothing you can do about the Physics.

I'd recommend D-Force LTW5 17 X 8" wheels (~16 lbs) & about $1K for the set. The lightest street tires I know of, which happen to be cheap & have a slightly smaller outside diameter would be the Sumitomo HTR Z II in a 235/40-17 at roughly $350 for the set shipped. The combined weight is Well Under 40 lbs, so about 10 lbs LESS than stock Per Wheel/tire which will feel crazy incredible.

Rob43
I know, but hey, as you said you can't have your cake and eat it!

But man!! I really like those, and they're fairly cheaper than most lightweight wheels. If you recommend them and say that they're great quality, I'll be on my way to save up for those instead.. I'm all about performance as well as looks and these wheels have both. What would be the recommended set up? Staggered, non, offsets, tire sizes?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:41 PM   #10
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Four of these, you have 4 color choices.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...eel-16lbs.aspx

&

Four of these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Z2V2&tab=Specs

This will give you a perfect fitting square setup.

Rob43

Quote:
Old 07-29-2015, 11:49 PM   #11
CREAO

Quote:
Four of these, you have 4 color choices.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...eel-16lbs.aspx

&

Four of these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Z2V2&tab=Specs

This will give you a perfect fitting square setup.

Rob43
Thank you so much, an extreme help!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:52 PM   #12
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Thank you so much, an extreme help!
I accept: Beer, Pizza, & Christmas Cards.

Rob43

Quote:
Old 07-29-2015, 11:54 PM   #13
CREAO

Quote:
I accept: Beer, Pizza, & Christmas Cards.

Rob43
Hell, if you're near the Philly area, by all means I'd be happy to get you some pizza! lol. So I just read up on something, what do you think about the Kosei 17" K1's? I heard they're an alternate to the D-Forces if tight on cash.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:13 AM   #14
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Hell, if you're near the Philly area, by all means I'd be happy to get you some pizza! lol. So I just read up on something, what do you think about the Kosei 17" K1's? I heard they're an alternate to the D-Forces if tight on cash.
They're also good, but I can't remember the important specs. Remember that down the road when you sell them, the BMW Racing community is always interested in them.

Rob43

Quote:
Old 07-30-2015, 12:31 AM   #15
CREAO

Quote:
They're also good, but I can't remember the important specs. Remember that down the road when you sell them, the BMW Racing community is always interested in them.

Rob43
Will definitely keep that in mind. Will pass them on down!! I'm assuming since they're the same size/width/offset, I'd be okay? (17x8.5 ET40 F/R)
Old 07-30-2015, 12:46 AM   #16
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Will definitely keep that in mind. Will pass them on down!! I'm assuming since they're the same size/width/offset, I'd be okay? (17x8.5 ET40 F/R)
Yes, they'll work just fine.

Rob43

Quote:

Tags
18x10, offset, rims, tires