Engine Shut off/Stalled at high speed - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
II KiiNGsLY II

My Ride: 2001 BMW M3 LSB
Exclamation Engine Shut off/Stalled at high speed

4/25/2015 Both of the camshaft sensors for the exhaust and intake have been replaced. The valve seal let oil through and onto the sensor thus causing the problem. The engine runs fine, but now the problem is that about half of the time the engine will take a while to start and turn over. I have to hold the key for about 3-5 seconds at times. Other times it will turn over right away, like normal. My mechanic isn't sure as to why this is. I think it may have something to do with the fuel pump, or fuel rail not having enough pressure at the times it takes longer. What are your thoughts?

4/13/2015 This morning I was driving on the highway at 55, I accelerated to about 70-80, then let off the gas and went to neutral. I started to change lanes when I noticed my steering was heavy, looked at the cluster and the oil and battery lights were on. While the car was moving I started it and went on my way for another mile. I have done some research and found this forum:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=334073

I have a K&N air intake with the cone shaped filter. I do not know if the certain part is there that seemed to fix the problem. If it is not there, will this fix the problem?

This is the first this has happened.

I have a 6 speed manual
HERE

Last edited by II KiiNGsLY II; 06-13-2015 at 09:07 AM.
II KiiNGsLY II is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
TboneM3

My Ride: E46 M3
These are the exact symptoms I had when my fuel pump first started to fail. It couldn't pump fuel at high demand and the car died. Your oil and battery lights were on because they're always on when you turn the key to accessory power (before you crank it). They weren't on because there was a problem with oil or alternator.

I suppose it could be the K&N air filter. I'm not a fan of aftermarket air intakes (besides CSL reps) and since they aren't better than stock (our stock intakes are massive and very well designed), I can't see the point in having one. I would clean your maf and put the stock intake system and filter in.

Evolve-R eVenturi Euro Headers|Sect 1 OE CSL OM Scorza D/A pullies/fan delete TMS camber/subf plates
RE Besian AKG AutoSolutions 30% TMS front sway GroundControl(Koni/Eibach) Sportline 8S 18" PSS 245/275

Last edited by TboneM3; 04-13-2015 at 12:23 PM.
TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #3
Hobohunter

My Ride: 2001 M3
Mine would periodically shut off at idle or slowing down to stop at a stop sign. The PO had built a home made intake with an aluminum tube and a K&N cone filter. I replaced it with a full OEM setup I found on Ebay. Hasn't done it since. I would recommend just getting rid of the cone filter and using the stock box.
Hobohunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
II KiiNGsLY II

UPDATE: my service engine soon light came on this morning. Nothing happened while driving, just a regular drive.

I was messing around with the left instrument cluster button, could I have changed the service interval by accident? Or is this a situation that needs to be taken to the shop?

I plan on replacing the K&N air intake with the OEM one soon, maybe this the the source of the problem.
HERE
Old 04-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #5
syl3ntforce

My Ride: E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to syl3ntforce
I have heard a few issues with K&n intake systems, that it will not let you turn on the car and the car will shut off and you lose power. I had a k&n CAI and it was good nice noise and look but the low end power was lost a bit and car shut off on me a few times went back to oem an car runs perfect hasn't shut off on me throttle feels better i am looking into the gruppe M intakes though now or at least some intake that comes with a box(heatcover)

318i>328i>328i>EK Civic SI>328ci>328xi>E46 M3

Last edited by syl3ntforce; 04-14-2015 at 08:11 AM.
syl3ntforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #6
II KiiNGsLY II

UPDATE: I was able to run the codes and got P0014, and P0017. I know that they deal with the camshaft sensor, and have one ordered. I have also bought an OEM air box with MAF, but I wont change it right away, just to see if the new sensor solves the problem. If it doesn't, which it should, then I will replace the K&N. Thank you for all the input thus far!
HERE
Old 04-30-2015, 06:17 AM   #7
II KiiNGsLY II

Bump, new update and issue at the top.
HERE
Old 04-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #8
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by II KiiNGsLY II View Post
UPDATE: my service engine soon light came on this morning. Nothing happened while driving, just a regular drive.

I was messing around with the left instrument cluster button, could I have changed the service interval by accident? Or is this a situation that needs to be taken to the shop?

I plan on replacing the K&N air intake with the OEM one soon, maybe this the the source of the problem.
The service interval advisory on your odometer is not affected at all by the buttons/knobs on either side of the cluster. It is reset via the OBD connecter located behind the access panel on the left lower panel next to the steering column (and needs to be hooked up to an external reader for a reset). The SES light means that something about the operation of the engine or emissions system is out of spec. It could be something major (but you would feel it in the way the car runs) or could be failing or defective O2 sensors or catalysts. Read the codes to find out what the problem is.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:05 AM   #9
II KiiNGsLY II

Update: After the last update the engine still had the occasional double start. I went on a road trip with no codes. About 300 miles in my SES light came on. It was the last day of the trip, so I could bring it straight home afterward. Turns out it is P0014 and P0017 camshaft codes again. Went to my mechanic and the readings seemed fine. So then I went to BMW and got the airbag recall and an hour of diagnostics done. He said it needed new CPS's, but then I told them they were new, and that during the first run around with the CPS we did a VANOS bolt replacement. He did the vanos timing test multiple times and nothing threw a flag. He came to the idea the engine just needs to be re timed. Any thoughts or insight into this new diagnosis? Need some help here!
HERE
Old 06-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #10
Cayne23

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
I had intermittent start problems. I would crank and no start. Stop, try again. Starts immediately. One day after i got off of i95, while sitting at a red light my car just died. Towed to my shop. It needed a new fuel pump
Cayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #11
Cayne23

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
Also, the p0014 code is an exhaust timing over retarted code. Check your timing.
Cayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #12
II KiiNGsLY II

Update Solution:

As seen above and suggested by the BMW Tech, the engine needed to be retimed. My mechanic missed a step when re assembling the vanos sprocket which caused the engine to run out of sync. The double start issueis resolved, among the feel, sound, and performance has all improved.
HERE

Tags
air intake, engine, help me, problem, stall