E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
jontizzle

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Exclamation Possible "batwing" issue

So at some point this summer I noticed the interior rear pillar trim is loose or broken. I haven't let the top down for months since here in Atlanta it's been way too hot. But with fall coming I want to fix it.

I read through this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=520323

But I was wondering if anyone can confirm this is all I will need to fix it. I would hate to buy the wrong part(s) since I plan on vacationing next weekend. Any help/tips are much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0058.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	610576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0059.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	610577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0060.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	610578  
jontizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
If the plastic triangular piece is broken or if the strings are broken then yes that is the correct thread and yes that will fix the problem. It is a good write up. I think the kit is around $135 bucks from the dealer. You might be able to find it a little cheaper, but pretty much a dealer item.

Tips, take a few pictures to make sure you understand how the threads go and how they bob and weave around the components. I have done this basically twice. One twice the strings broke and I tried first tie then together and then second use some like cordage and crimpy things to make a new cable to route around. Ultimately ended up just buying the kit and being done with it. (so I guess three times messing with it, once with a new kit.)

Another tip is removing the liner from the old wing, be careful here. Some people tore the liner trying to pull it apart. Just take your time and all will be well.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #3
jontizzle

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Thanks! I ordered the kit and will attempt to install it. Just wanted to make sure I had the right part and everything.
jontizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #4
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Yeah, that will take care of it. If you continue to operate the top with broken bat wings, they eventually get chewed up in the top mechanics and then can bind the system.

Just take your time, you will not get this done in like an hour so plan to spend some time on it. Only do one side at a time incase you need to refer to something on the other side. Some of the screws are in tight places and some time you will be switching tools often as one that works here and need to be shorter or flexible to work on another spot, and yes you will need to move the top up and down manually a few time to access everything.....read that write up a couple times. Not really that hard but time consuming.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
billeldon

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
This may be in my future, as soon as I have the free time. I bought mine in December 2014 with a small rip already showing in the headliner at the right batwing...
billeldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batwing, convertible, interior