E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
jsm2186
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Vernon
Posts: 4
My Ride: 325xi
Please help! No start issue

Hi,

I have 2003 BMW 325xi base model stick shift.

I have a weird issue, and I need help.

On sunday, my car was not starting normally (slow to crank). After starting I tested it, and the alternator was working and charging the battery.

I tried starting again, and it wouldnt crank so I put the battery charger on, and tried a little while later and it started right up.

After sitting overnight it started, but cranked very slowly. As this was the same issue I saw a few years ago, I knew it was the battery.

I took the battery out to sears to get it "checked" and a get a new one.

Battery was out of the car about 4 hours, and I put a new one in. Everything worked well, lights, radio, etc., but as soon as I went to start it, it wouldn't crank at all. No click, nothing....like it wasn't even giving power to the starter at all.

I have read about possible issues causing this issue....but nothing is leading anywhere.

I tried reprogramming keys, and no luck. I asked the dealer to reset EWS, and they said no luck. They don't know what's causing the issue for certain.

Can anyone please offer some help? Has anyone experienced this?

If you need additional information please ask. I appreciate your help.

I don't believe it to be the starter because of the circumstances outlined above. It wouldn't make sense to me.
jsm2186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
jfoj
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Posts: 22,854
My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Hate to break it to you, 2003-2004 xi starters give out with little to no warning.

They are also a MAJOR PITA to replace.

Suggest you pull the intake and replace the starter from under the hood.

Shops want like 4 hours to replace the starter.

DO NOT replace it with a cheap rebuild, if you can get a new one, spend the money.

One thing on an XI is you only want to replace the starter ONCE.
__________________
Solve your misfires, lean codes, rough idle - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #3
OCD+
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northeast US
Posts: 91
My Ride: BMW 3er
Please help! No start issue

If you changed the battery, I would check the fuel pump. It's a common failure in old high mileage cars. Read this thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3636 View Post
If you get a 325i up to 400hp you should buy a ****ing lottery ticket

Last edited by OCD+; 09-02-2015 at 09:16 PM.
OCD+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
jfoj
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Posts: 22,854
My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm2186 View Post
Battery was out of the car about 4 hours, and I put a new one in. Everything worked well, lights, radio, etc., but as soon as I went to start it, it wouldn't crank at all. No click, nothing....like it wasn't even giving power to the starter at all.
This is NOT a fuel pump problem.
__________________
Solve your misfires, lean codes, rough idle - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
cvx5832
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 4,061
My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm2186 View Post
Hi,

I have 2003 BMW 325xi base model stick shift.

I have a weird issue, and I need help.

On sunday, my car was not starting normally (slow to crank). After starting I tested it, and the alternator was working and charging the battery.

I tried starting again, and it wouldnt crank so I put the battery charger on, and tried a little while later and it started right up.

After sitting overnight it started, but cranked very slowly. As this was the same issue I saw a few years ago, I knew it was the battery.

I took the battery out to sears to get it "checked" and a get a new one.

Battery was out of the car about 4 hours, and I put a new one in. Everything worked well, lights, radio, etc., but as soon as I went to start it, it wouldn't crank at all. No click, nothing....like it wasn't even giving power to the starter at all.

I have read about possible issues causing this issue....but nothing is leading anywhere.

I tried reprogramming keys, and no luck. I asked the dealer to reset EWS, and they said no luck. They don't know what's causing the issue for certain.

Can anyone please offer some help? Has anyone experienced this?

If you need additional information please ask. I appreciate your help.

I don't believe it to be the starter because of the circumstances outlined above. It wouldn't make sense to me.
I think it IS the starter because of those circumstances. I have a YouTube clip of a bad starter and it sounds like a weak battery. When I get behind a computer I'll post the video.
__________________






cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:34 AM   #6
OCD+
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northeast US
Posts: 91
My Ride: BMW 3er
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
This is NOT a fuel pump problem.

You have much more experience and I always trust your advice. Whenever a car doesn't start I usually check for two things spark, and fuel,and since he changed the battery that's why I suggested your fuel pump thread. I was just trying to help, I missed the starter therefore I apologize about the confusion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3636 View Post
If you get a 325i up to 400hp you should buy a ****ing lottery ticket
OCD+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:27 AM   #7
jfoj
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Posts: 22,854
My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCD+ View Post
You have much more experience and I always trust your advice. Whenever a car doesn't start I usually check for two things spark, and fuel,and since he changed the battery that's why I suggested your fuel pump thread. I was just trying to help, I missed the starter therefore I apologize about the confusion.
No problem, just want to make sure the OP or others did not get mis-directed.
__________________
Solve your misfires, lean codes, rough idle - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dme, ews, no start, starter, won't crank

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2016 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use