Funny noise turning car off - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #21
330ci04vert

My Ride: 2004 330ci Vert
Go to autozone or similar shop and have your alternator and battery tested for free, might as well buy a new battery by the looks of it,
and if you think you'd have to "fork out big bucks for a new battery" then this is most likely not the car for you as it's on the cheap end of PM/repairs lol

I'd be more than happy to hopefully have problems go away because of a new battery, at least it is something you should replace every so often.

Good luck, still check back in and let us know what else you end up replacing and if your problems clear up!
330ci04vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #22
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
I watched the video but couldn't see the voltage display on the dashboard, too small. What was the lowest voltage displayed during that process?

The system voltage must be 12V or higher at all times for the car to start and run properly. Just google car battery voltage, alternator voltage, etc., to get educated on the basics.

I would fix that bad oil pressure sensor ASAP.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #23
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

This is the battery I put in my 2004 330Ci last month.
http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/E...ttery/16782659
It has more cranking amps and is cheaper than the H7.

Here are others some folks have used.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...79&postcount=3
Old 10-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #24
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci04vert View Post
Go to autozone or similar shop and have your alternator and battery tested for free, might as well buy a new battery by the looks of it,
and if you think you'd have to "fork out big bucks for a new battery" then this is most likely not the car for you as it's on the cheap end of PM/repairs lol

I'd be more than happy to hopefully have problems go away because of a new battery, at least it is something you should replace every so often.

Good luck, still check back in and let us know what else you end up replacing and if your problems clear up!
I was being comical to myself when I said big bucks, my bad. I'm willing to spend the money. I just have my heart so set on getting the bushings done because the noise makes me cringe. Luckily I'm almost 18 and I'll be able to pick up a well paying job soon. I'm sure you can relate to the feeling when you've been detoured from doing something you have your mind set on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
I watched the video but couldn't see the voltage display on the dashboard, too small. What was the lowest voltage displayed during that process?

The system voltage must be 12V or higher at all times for the car to start and run properly. Just google car battery voltage, alternator voltage, etc., to get educated on the basics.

I would fix that bad oil pressure sensor ASAP.
Well it was at 11.6V sitting and dropped to 11.2V when I turned lights on and such. Idling it rests at 14V. I knew (90% sure) it was bad when I was checking it due to the sensor failure. Since the code when away, I chose to ignore the existence of the issue. And thank you SOOOO much for the links . I saw the replies in my email first thing when I woke up and I've been stressing over what battery I have to get since then! So the link is more helpful to me than you can probably imagine. I'll grab one this weekend. I only stressed because I know the all famous DL49 is out of production and I've heard what people in stores recommend won't necessarily fit.

Also sorry my English is poor. I'm typing these seeing they're a bit hard to follow. Just can't think straight this morning . But yes I'll get the battery sorted out this weekend. I can just disconnect and connect the new one (with vent gauge), right? No reprogramming crap?
YoitsTmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #25
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

Yes, no programming needed. I suggest you search for a battery replacement DIY. Just google "replace battery diy e46" and look through the results. This is how I usually search.

To set the mood and get a few laughs before tackling this job, may I suggest a short video?

Last edited by BaliDawg; 10-06-2015 at 01:33 PM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:35 AM   #26
YoitsTmac

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Yes, no programming needed. I suggest you search for a battery replacement DIY. Just google "replace battery diy e46" and look through the results. This is how I usually search.

To set the mood and get a few laughs before tackling this job, may I suggest a short video?

Wow, thank you so so SO much. Truly, I can't even begin to tell you. You've definitely lifted a weight off my shoulders. I'm just going to get the battery you linked that was the one you put in your car. I was told don't buy batteries from Walmart because their tier 2 batteries that are manufactured differently, but you can't really argue with 4.8/5 stars!! And there's a couple E46 owners in there, so I don't even have to second guess about compatibility. Thank you again, going to pick one up after this local car show on Saturday . It has to wait because my nearest Walmart is in Richmond which is a bit of a drive (for me).
YoitsTmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #27
YoitsTmac

Don't laugh at me guys, but after 100 minutes and being drenched in sweat I have just finished installing my battery. I had trouble getting the right tools, and I had to start over because something was under my battery. I'll show you guys the madness I found under the battery cover but for now I need your help with this simply DIY unfortunately. I found this hard because I have minor back issues and I tend to find it nice on myself.

ANYWAY, need help unfortunately. I bought the battery EverStart Maxx H8 and it seems that the top security bracket can't screw into both bolts, even at it's lowest point. Any ideas on what to do? The side one isn't adjustable and I'm really confused to why the battery doesn't "fit." I don't feel safe driving it for obvious reasons, but I'm keeping it powered so I can close the trunk and such. Would love some replies.

In other news, the battery now starts at 12.2V, an entire .6V higher. Doors even unlock quicker! :0 (between driver side and gas unlock) It still runs at 13.9V though, so now I'm assuming that's normal. Would love to hear about that bracket!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	idle voltage.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	615342   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery clamp.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	615343   Click image for larger version

Name:	ignition voltage.jpg
Views:	46