E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2015, 12:03 AM   #1
skeem

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Unhappy ASC and drifting (very confused)

There's a bit of a backstory to get you guys up to speed so please bear with me. I have a 2001 325Ci 5 speed (living in the U.S.) that I purchased from a guy that originally bought the car in Canada (speedo is in kilometers). Instead of having a DSC button, there is an ASC button. Now there is a lot of conflicting information online about how to fully disable these systems so I've tried both ways. When I hold the ASC button (no matter how long) ONLY the yellow / ! \ light will show... (not the ! light and brake light as shown when disabling DSC)...

I've driven two drift events with this car and had the same exact tire setup each time. The first event I held the ASC button down for 15 seconds and the car drifted perfectly for the entire event, front tires were perfect and rears were bald after The second event I pressed the ASC button once without holding it and the front tires experienced horrible 'understeer' and got chunked to pieces ... Now I think that although I show no light when I hold the button down, it still fully disables my ASC. It handles skids completely differently when I hold the button vs. press it once. If anybody can share some information on what this freak ASC system is it would be greatly appreciated. For now I'm just going to continue to hold it down because it has shown in my experience to fully disable the system. Thanks!

Disclaimer: Don't tell me not to drift because it's a BMW and snobby snob snob rich guy doesn't like to have fun
skeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:33 AM   #2
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
not sure if it's any different, but for cars with DSC (the newer system) you need to press and hold (or press once, then press and hold, i don't remember) to fully deactivate the system. When the system is fully deactivated, the DSC and "brake" light will both light up yellow insteal of just the dsc/ triangle light
Old 10-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
skeem

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
not sure if it's any different, but for cars with DSC (the newer system) you need to press and hold (or press once, then press and hold, i don't remember) to fully deactivate the system. When the system is fully deactivated, the DSC and "brake" light will both light up yellow insteal of just the dsc/ triangle light
Thanks for the advice Eneka. I tried that on the way out this morning and it just turned the light back off. Click once, press and hold. Turns the light off
Old 10-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
Pole position
OEM ///Member

My Ride: E46 330ci
Press and hold for like five seconds until the brake and triangle light up. Just pressing it quickly doesn't turn off much. Pressing again turns everything back on.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:08 PM   #5
Koninkaulus

My Ride: E46 323 Ci
If you have only ASC and DONT HAVE DSC, then you only have traction control and the ASC button works in two ways:
Press it once and the traction control is off until you press it again or turn engine off.
Press and hold it down for like 10 seconds and it will be off until you restart the engine.

DSC works in different ways. ASC button has only these 2 options.

edit: ASC+T button would work in the same way too i think. (addition of the letter T makes the car to brake the rear tires when they are spinning unevenly, kind of an electronic LSD)
E36 318is Coupe

Last edited by Koninkaulus; 10-20-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Koninkaulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:38 PM   #6
atlknight

My Ride: bmw
how do you drift with the open diff?
atlknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Pole position
OEM ///Member

Momentum
Old 10-20-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
atlknight

My Ride: bmw
Try having it welded makes a huge difference.
atlknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
Pole position
OEM ///Member

Of course. But then it sucks to dd. A proper lsd makes these cars into true sports cars, the investment is just huge. A lot of chassis and suspension mods are also useless without a lsd, which many people don't realize. Like a stiff rear sway.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #10
skeem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koninkaulus View Post
If you have only ASC and DONT HAVE DSC, then you only have traction control and the ASC button works in two ways:
Press it once and the traction control is off until you press it again or turn engine off.
Press and hold it down for like 10 seconds and it will be off until you restart the engine.

DSC works in different ways. ASC button has only these 2 options.

edit: ASC+T button would work in the same way too i think. (addition of the letter T makes the car to brake the rear tires when they are spinning unevenly, kind of an electronic LSD)
Thank you, That's how it worked for me. Just had a lot of weird info on the web and user manual didn't help either.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #11
skeem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole position View Post
Momentum
Exactly. You have to do a hard Scandinavian flick or give it a good clutch kick. I'm considering welding it in the future but this is my daily driver. The diffs are pretty easy to swap out so I could just get one welded and keep the open. Swap it in for events. LSD is way too expensive for me. I'm in college, not much extra cash at the moment.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #12
skeem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole position View Post
Press and hold for like five seconds until the brake and triangle light up. Just pressing it quickly doesn't turn off much. Pressing again turns everything back on.
That's the thing, my brake light never pops up. Only the triangle light but it sure as hell acts different if I hold it.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #13
Serega91

My Ride: 03' WRX, 07' S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeem View Post
Exactly. You have to do a hard Scandinavian flick or give it a good clutch kick. I'm considering welding it in the future but this is my daily driver. The diffs are pretty easy to swap out so I could just get one welded and keep the open. Swap it in for events. LSD is way too expensive for me. I'm in college, not much extra cash at the moment.
Yes. At the price points of these cars vs the LSD welded is the way to go IMO.

Some E46s are worth on the order of as much as a good diff.

I do some open diff gravel/snow sliding on occasion. Dirt road hooning as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeem View Post

Disclaimer: Don't tell me not to drift because it's a BMW and snobby snob snob rich guy doesn't like to have fun
You haven't been to Eastern Europe. Oldass BMWs are the most popular drift machines for amateurs, by far. Not 240/Silvias, not miatas, not RWD corollas.

Last edited by Serega91; 10-21-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Serega91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #14
skeem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serega91 View Post
Yes. At the price points of these cars vs the LSD welded is the way to go IMO.

Some E46s are worth on the order of as much as a good diff.

I do some open diff gravel/snow sliding on occasion. Dirt road hooning as well.

You haven't been to Eastern Europe. Oldass BMWs are the most popular drift machines for amateurs, by far. Not 240/Silvias, not miatas, not RWD corollas.
I haven't.. yet! Lol yep all 240s here in 'Murica
Old 10-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #15
Koninkaulus

My Ride: E46 323 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serega91 View Post
You haven't been to Eastern Europe.
RIP Giorgi Tevzadze
E36 318is Coupe
Koninkaulus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags