E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 191 votes, 4.74 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015, 12:34 AM   #521
HellrotMPower

My Ride: M3
My reverse just randomly went out after i didnt drive my e46 for one day, was working fine the night before... and the entire time I have owned it =/
HellrotMPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #522
luweegy

My Ride: 2001 330i
GM transmission no reverse 5 L 40 E

This is an excellent thread thank you
luweegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:17 AM   #523
dayduh

Mines just did too I'm wondering what it is
dayduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #524
cwithbmw

My Ride: 2002 330Ci 2009 335i
Just putting it out there again I have a only-used once (not even really used) GM 5L40E remanufactured valve body remanufactured by sunbelt valve body. I will give you an absolutely incredible deal, PM me!!
cwithbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #525
LTiger

My Ride: 330 xi Sedan
BMW 330 XI Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
It will keep happening on and off like that until it gets fixed, unfortunately that's just the nature of it. It's still better than the drum shredding scenario, so be glad
Hi Neil

I just bought a 2001 BMW 330xi. I have experienced the no reverse but its intermittent. I will say 1 out of 4x it doesnt work. Once in R, it moves fine. The other thing i noticed is if i go directly from P or D to R , it works fine but if i slide thru the gears D to N to R, then it fails sometimes. Im probaly ignorant to the shifting protocol for bmw but Im glad i discovered your post. Do you take phone calls? At any rate , im glad i found this site. The car runs immaculant , it does have 280k miles
LTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #526
shredstar

My Ride: E46 328Ci, E36 ///M3
It has now been a year and a half since pulling our valve body, clearing the reverse lockout bore and replacing the TCC solenoid. Reverse has not failed again. Now 211K miles.
shredstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #527
Sweetds1

My Ride: 92 Chevy Cheyenne
Thank you

You made my day. Listened to a few men and what they said made no sense to me. I was married for 37 years and my ex did all the mechanic stuff. So I've been trying to learn much these past 5 years. I tested your theory and it worked like a charm. I so appreciate your advice as I am in no financial situation to pay for a tranny to be replaced. I think you are awesome.
Thanks again!
Sweetds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:24 PM   #528
Swans323

My Ride: 323i
Trans probs

Hey everyone! Great page and thanks for having me! I have a 1999 323i, bought it cheap and the gamble may not have paid off :/ Im having some trans problems...its gone into safe mode a couple of times, and then last night would select reverse. When i got home it did select it, so im led to believe with the GM trans it could be the solenoid (great info!). My question is- does that also explain my intermittent safe mode? Or could there be another problem? The only other thing ive noticed is it occurs more when my low coolant light is on (it has a small leak). Coincidence or a clue?? Any info appreciated
Swans323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:31 PM   #529
Shawn h

My Ride: 2000bmw 328i
Last year I replaced valve body , filter and fluid. And I have all gears now . Going to flush it soon again with sea foam trans tune.
Shawn h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #530
Voortman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Additional Question on Auto Tranny

I'm relieved to discover that the tranny in my recently purchased 2000 323i is the GM model. However, I still have a concern about my tranny. Under mild acceleration between 20 - 25mph, the car has a subtle vibration/shudder that subsides as I get up to 24/25mph. Is anyone else familiar with this condition and what causes it?
Also, what's the conventional wisdom re: change tranny fluid or not? I bought the car last year and it now has 260,000 miles on it with no history as to whether the fluid has ever been changed.
Voortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #531
Shawn h

My Ride: 2000bmw 328i
I would definitely change fluid and filter , advance auto has the fluid . Six months later do it again , jmo
Shawn h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neilgotastickiedthread!, no reverse, reverse, tranny, transmission