E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2015, 05:15 AM   #41
330civert,msport

My Ride: 330ci M Sport Vert
That's good to hear. Does anyone have a link to the best diy on struts. I'm confident on the rears as I've done them a couple of times already trying to adjust for more comfort (it didn't work lol) but never done the fronts I've seen a couple of diys and as I have coil overs on there at the mo think that makes it easier as I don't have to get the standard strut apart and I don't think the eibach will need compressing to much from what I herd so should make it easier. Cheers
330civert,msport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:09 AM   #42
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
The hardest time I had with the fronts is getting the springs compressed enough. With the way they are coiled it's tricky.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:45 AM   #43
330civert,msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
The hardest time I had with the fronts is getting the springs compressed enough. With the way they are coiled it's tricky.
Is that fitting new lowering springs or removing the oem springs ? I've ordered all new parts so I don't need to reuse any old stuff and I've got the coil overs on at the mo so I don't need to take the springs off them.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #44
Geo31
Ironman

Oh shoot, that's right. With coilovers it shouldn't take long at all.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #45
330civert,msport

Quote:
Oh shoot, that's right. With coilovers it shouldn't take long at all.
That's great to hear geo31

Just what I was thinking but nice having you confirm for me
Old 09-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #46
330civert,msport

Can't wait to get started all the bits I need are going to be here tomorrow. But the fsd's I got one of the struts have a massive paint run down them which is disappointing and little chips out of the paint on the others and I spoke to larkspeed who is the company I got them from they said they didn't have any more in stock to send out new ones and all they could do is offer the delivery charge I paid 10 back. Or il have to wait a week for a new set from Holland. So not to sure what to do I expected them to be in perfect condition for the 544 I paid but they are less than perfect so probably worth waiting an extra week if they don't plan to give me a decent discount. The paint run is right at the front so every time I take a wheel off it will annoy me if I paid full price.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #47
330civert,msport

This is the paint run
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	612906  
Old 09-17-2015, 10:08 PM   #48
Geo31
Ironman

Wouldn't bother me, but I'm a racer. They could look like crap as long as they work OK. But if it bothers you, then by all means wait for a new set or you'll kick yourself.

And I was wrong, you don't have coilovers, so you will need to compress the springs. Getting that right took me more time than the whole rest of the process and it was far from my first rodeo.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:18 AM   #49
330civert,msport

Quote:
Wouldn't bother me, but I'm a racer. They could look like crap as long as they work OK. But if it bothers you, then by all means wait for a new set or you'll kick yourself.

And I was wrong, you don't have coilovers, so you will need to compress the springs. Getting that right took me more time than the whole rest of the process and it was far from my first rodeo.
Yeah I think it will depend how long it will take to get the new ones as I've managed to get my self a whole day off (without the misses) so I can do it all in one day but that's a week Tuesday so if they can get me a new set by then il have them if they can't then il just take the 10 back as I won't see it very often and if they work as expected then i probably won't think about it as il be happy with what they are doing.

I have coil overs on at the mo and I just need a couple of washers from them then the struts are fsd with the eibach pro lowering kit going on so I don't need to compress the oem springs just the eibach might need compressing but I read on another thread that lowering spring might not need compressing as they are already smaller that oem or they won't need compressing much so should make it a lot easier. But this is all just from what I've read I've never done anything with struts before so I'm just doing loads of research and watching YouTube so I've got a good idea before I start. Only bad thing about doing it Tuesday is everyone else is at work so il be doing it all on my own but I think it will be alright il have a good 12 hours of daylight lol.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #50
330civert,msport

Here with update 1 of 2 as promised. Firstly the nuts ontop of the struts and shocks are a bitch to get off without the right tools. anyway got them off in the end and everything else was pretty straight forward so that's good. I've only used the car for probably 6 hours since fitted. I am very happy with the outcome but to be completely honest I was a bit disappointed after fitting as I had read so many great stories from people who had them fitted. Stories like I drive over potholes that just to jar the car as they were either an inch higher or lower than the road and I don't even feel them. The worst roads I used to avoid with old suspension as the ride was so bad. But now as I drive down them I thought the road surface had been replaced as it was so smooth. But from my 6 or so hours I will say it's not the case as I do still feel them!! Now if that's just me maybe I need to talk to someone but I imagine all is as it should be. Now don't get me wrong I'm not putting the koni fsd and eibach pro kit down as it does feel great loads better infact and the longer I am in the car the better it feel so I wonder if it takes a week or two for them to settle in ? But I am very happy and even happier every time I get in the car to go for a drive so hopefully it will get even better over time ? But the cornering is tight and precise it give me so much more confidence in the car I know it going where I want it to without any doubt or drama which feels great I don't want any doubt or drama when I'm on public roads with other cars/people on them st the same time. The comfort level has greatly improved too like I say I still feel the pot hole and drain covers big dips in the road but I think I've got the best stuff on the car to deal with it. As I said earlier on in the post the roads around where I live are horrendous so I'm sure my setup should feel great in other parts of the country that I go to a few times over the year one of the places I go I will be going to in 2 weeks so I look forward to testing the car round there too. The car used to feel as though it was always bouncing around and it was annoying a lot of the time where as now it seems to hit an imperfection in the road and just carry on no bouncing around just deals with it very well. I feel the impact then I don't feel any sort of aftershock from it which I used to on my old coil overs.
To summarise I read so may stories that made it sound like I would just be floating around as though I was flying over the road not noticing any imperfections well that's not the case I do feel them but they are very tame compared to what I've always had before in the car. The handling is awesome no disillusions about that whatsoever but I haven't pushed the car overly hard but pretty hard. So would I recommend the koni fsd and eibach pro kit for the e46 convertible ? Is it worth all but a 1000 yeah I would say so the just driving around really makes me pleased the way it deals with the road all the time in any situation. Anyone that's what's to know more just ask I'm happy to offer my opinion on them. And as promised I will report back after the 150 odd miles in a couple of week after I get back from holiday.

Thanks for the help and advice mainly to rob and geo ***55357;***56397;***55356;***57339;
Old 10-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #51
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
I'm glad everything is installed & working properly.

As to your new suspension floating over potholes & big road imperfections like a magic carpet, well I'm sorry as a community if we led you to this conclusion.

Certainly over time you'll notice how smooth & compliant your new suspension works, especially when compared to your old C/O setup. So give things a bit more time and mileage, I'm sure your ultimate conclusion will be that all in all your new Koni FSD & Eibach Pro-Kit suspension feels great & handles great.

Get your new alignment if you haven't already, looking forward to your next report.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.

Last edited by Rob43; 11-08-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #52
330civert,msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
I'm glad everything is installed & working properly.

As to your new suspension floating over potholes & big road imperfections like a magic carpet, well I sorry as a community if we led you to this conclusion.

Certainly over time you'll notice how smooth & compliant your new suspension works, especially when compared to your old C/O setup. So give things a bit more time and mileage, I'm sure your ultimate conclusion will be that all in all your new Koni FSD & Eibach Pro-Kit suspension feels great & handles great.

Get your new alignment if you haven't already, looking forward to your next report.

Rob43
Everything you guys said was spot on rob it was other threads on other websites I'd read else where. My conclusion is already that it works great and I'm happier every time I get in the car to be honest I'm even taking the longer ways to get where I'm going as I just enjoy the ride so much I'm so glad I posted here and got your advice. if I hadn't I would not be enjoying everything so much right now. I took it to get the alignment straight after I finished and the guy said leave it at least 24 hours. The soonest il be able to get there now is Monday so il be having it done then.

At the moment I'm amazed with the car it even feels quicker lol. but I'm sure that's in my head.

Thanks again
Old 10-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #53
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330civert,msport View Post
Everything you guys said was spot on Geo31 & rob it was other threads on other websites I'd read else where. My conclusion is already that it works great and I'm happier every time I get in the car to be honest I'm even taking the longer ways to get where I'm going as I just enjoy the ride so much I'm so glad I posted here and got your advice. if I hadn't I would not be enjoying everything so much right now. I took it to get the alignment straight after I finished and the guy said leave it at least 24 hours. The soonest il be able to get there now is Monday so il be having it done then.

At the moment I'm amazed with the car it even feels quicker lol. but I'm sure that's in my head.

Thanks again
Fixed.

I'm super glad to hear that, I love the fact that you're taking longer trips because your Bimmer is so much more fun to drive now.

Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #54
330civert,msport

I posted this as a new thread also.

I posted this as a new thread as well but I'm not sure if it's in the right place and as you guys were so helpful with my suspension thread I thought I'd post here incase you have any thoughts.

I have a clicking noise and I just can't find out where it's coming from. I've read loads of posts all over the Internet and had my mechanic look over the car and still I'm none the wiser. So I'm hoping someone can help me out last year I had koni fad and eibach pro fitted to my convertible (as recommend by guys on here) and it's great the car is much nicer to drive. I replaced all top mounts and Spring pads also put 10mm h&r spacers on the rear. About a month ago I did the diff swap replaced my 3.07 with a 3.38 which isn't done much in the uk but it's great. The only issue I have is when turning I hear 1,2 sometimes 3 clicks from the rear it doesn't matter which way I'm turning and doesn't matter if I'm in 1st or reverse. Last night I went to a large car park put the car in 1st pulled off and took both feet off the pedals so the car was crawling along on its own and turned the steering wheel so I was going round in circles and sure enough I hear a couple of quiet clicks then I turn the steering wheel the other way and hear a couple of clicks I do this a few times and I hear the clicks each time. I put the car in reverse and take both feet off and I hear the same thing a couple of light clicks from the rear. I also hear this while going up driveways in 1st or reverse. I've had about 10 hunter alignments done and they say everything looks perfect. I even had the airbag recall done last month which they did a free health check and said the car is in great shape needing no work which they said is unusual as normally with the e46 there is a big list of things. I don't have a clue what this noise is I took the spacers off the rear put the original wheel bolts in and still the same. So it's not to do with them. Please someone tell me what to check or what it could be I've had the car nearly 10 years and I keep it in perfect health so this little noise is really annoying. I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #55
Rob43
OEM ///Member

If the RSM's or the rear sway bar end links were not replaced, I'd look at them first.

Both are known to make clicking noises.

Rob43

Quote:
Old 04-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #56
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
I'm running the Koni FSDs on stock sport springs now and it's a very compliant ride over bumps, potholes,etc but is also very nice in the curves. I may change out my stock spring for the Eibach later on though.

Last edited by Max'd out; 04-19-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:34 AM   #57
330civert,msport

Thanks for the replies the top mounts were changed for new ones when I put the new set up on. I'm also running koni fsd and eibach pro kit which is great. I've not replaced the rear sway bar end link I did think about doing this front and rear as I've never changed them also considering doing rtabs as they have also never been changed by me. But when I had the laser alignment they checked eyerything with a pry bar and said all is good. Last night i tried to show a friend the noise after we had played golf there was a lot of extra weight in the car as we had electric trolleys with heavy battery's in the boot probably 100lbs in the boot plus 50lbs in the back seats and me and a passenger up front and the noise was hardly there the passenger couldn't even here it a I only herd it twice at 2 separate times and we were driving around in circles in a large car park for about ten minutes. I did the same thing the night before on my own no weight in the car in the same place and I herd it quite a few times. It doesn't speed up or slow down with the cars speed. It's not rhythmical just the odd click here and there while turning. No noises while going straight or over bumps.

Last edited by 330civert,msport; 04-20-2016 at 04:35 AM.

Tags
comfort, convertible, m-sport, suspension